Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

OK, as a designer and artist , I feel as though AMT went on the Cheap after 1968 . I'm comparing a 1960 SMP distributed by AMT to 1968 AMT box art . To me the 1968 Box Art was AMT's last decent art . After that , the type faces , the photographs , all of it has left me flat .........

1960 SMP El Camino box top.jpg

amt-1968-corvair-monza-yenko-stinger-hardtop-stock-custom-or-race-1.jpg

AMT1968FordGalaxie-vi.jpg

amt-1968-mercury-cougar-xr-7-gt-hardtop-stock-custom-or-drag-racing-34.jpg

The AURORA Pontiac Fireball was a kit I thought I wanted for years.  I foolishly expected it to look something like a '59 Pontiac.  Luckily, the first one I saw on eBay was a built-up about as sad as the one in that photo.  That cured me.  Off the "Want" list forever!

And what have we here?  Painting camouflage on an otherwise all-white vehicle kinda defeats the purpose of camouflage.  Especially when the camo looks like a bunch of drunks threw up all over your Landie.

Here's some weird trivia about that kit:  many years ago, on Usenet's rec.models.scale group IIRC, a poster said he had worked on the very Land Rover that MONOGRAM copied for that kit. Said he knew that because the Landie was modified with a U.S.-spec carburetor, which MONOGRAM duplicated exactly. I believe he even said the work was done at a shop in Burbank, CA.

lr_mon.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

The AURORA Pontiac Fireball was a kit I thought I wanted for years.  I foolishly expected it to look something like a '59 Pontiac.  Luckily, the first one I saw on eBay was a built-up about as sad as the one in that photo.  That cured me.  Off the "Want" list forever!

And what have we here?  Painting camouflage on an otherwise all-white vehicle kinda defeats the purpose of camouflage.  Especially when the camo looks like a bunch of drunks threw up all over your Landie.

Here's some weird trivia about that kit:  many years ago, on Usenet's rec.models.scale group IIRC, a poster said he had worked on the very Land Rover that MONOGRAM copied for that kit. Said he knew that because the Landie was modified with a U.S.-spec carburetor, which MONOGRAM duplicated exactly. I believe he even said the work was done at a shop in Burbank, CA.

lr_mon.jpg

By the time this sort of Landrover came into being, such larger SUV's were already migrating from the back roads of the 3rd World to become status symbols for higher income individuals, both in the UK, and here in the US.  That camo was pretty much decorative, rather than functional.

3 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

By the time this sort of Landrover came into being, such larger SUV's were already migrating from the back roads of the 3rd World to become status symbols for higher income individuals, both in the UK, and here in the US.  That camo was pretty much decorative, rather than functional.

If by "decorative" you mean "freaking hideous," I agree.  To quibble even more, the box art seems to show the Land Rover on "the back roads of the 3rd World." That looks like a jungle backdrop, for the spotless vehicle.  Though I guess it could be a theme restaurant, somewhere in the wilds of La Cienaga Blvd...

14 minutes ago, Junkman said:

Another pearl from Revell:

revell-1-32-scale-1967-chevy-camaro-ss-3

Interesting. Never seen that one, but I have that kit in another box ('80s?), molded in a nice-looking metallic blue plastic. It's not horrible and I plan to "build" it sometime soon. (The box calls it a '68 but it's a '67.) 

So let's slap it onto a nondescript box and photoshop a shadow around it?

My idea of packaging art is vastly less half arsed.
Also, my idea of a well built kit is a less shonky placement of the front axle.

Edited by Junkman

5 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Trust me, as a child, the box art did not bother me at all! I just wanted to build them! 

Yeah, have to remember at one time the target audience of most models was kids, esp. the Snap Tites..hence the bright colors and flash.   I remember liking building them as a kid. 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Here are two more bad ones. Actually the art work on the Customized Corvette is not bad. It's the car itself that ruins that one. 

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

Could you imagine showing up at a contest in box stock catagory with that vette? The guys in the background are saying "And he drives that on the street?"

2 minutes ago, Alix Bernard said:

Could you imagine showing up at a contest in box stock catagory with that vette? The guys in the background are saying "And he drives that on the street?"

On the Customized Corvette box art, I like the expressions of the all people in that scene. Everybody really does not look all that happy or impressed with the car. Except the guy kneeling next to the car with the trophys. And his expression looks like he can't believe he sucker the judges into giving him another one!