Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

4 hours ago, Impalow said:

I recently picked up one of these....  love the wide rear flares and narrow track... "Race bred... Street wise."

91xJdSV0XiL._SL1500_.jpg

Eric, when I went to the Detroit show, I saw in person the magic that you have worked. This one however, might be a real challenge!  : )

5 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

71CougarModel5.jpg.0b898891b2c71076663d13ceedb071e5.jpg

At the Sign of the Cat - Rowwwwrrr.

Looks like kitty is hacking up a hairball.

Gotta ask: is this one legit?  Took me a minute to realize that the car is a poorly altered 1970.

And hows abouts them accessories?  "All them kids want the fins and the lake pipes on their Cougars"

10 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Gotta ask: is this one legit?  Took me a minute to realize that the car is a poorly altered 1970.

And hows abouts them accessories?  "All them kids want the fins and the lake pipes on their Cougars"

Palmer..they always included that junk...

Great thread!   So, who was the mfr (Hasegawa?) that did the muscle cars and on the side panel it had something in the copy about "bowel shaking" or something like that?  The copy on the sides was the same on every car in the series.    I know it was a japanese maker because I remember the flat boxes and that I couldn't afford it at the hobby shop back then.  I want to say it was a series that had a Challenger, Mustang (mach1 maybe?), and maybe a 66 impala and bonneville.  Maybe.  I remember laughing at it and showing friends when we were at the hobby shop.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, Robberbaron said:

It is hacking up a hairball. It's a Palmer kit. 

8 minutes ago, randyc said:

Great thread!   So, who was the mfr (Hasegawa?) that did the muscle cars and on the side panel it had something in the copy about "bowel shaking" or something like that?  The copy on the sides was the same on every car in the series.    I know it was a japanese maker because I remember the flat boxes and that I couldn't afford it at the hobby shop back then.  I want to say it was a series that had a Challenger, Mustang (mach1 maybe?), and maybe a 66 impala and bonneville.  Maybe.  I remember laughing at it and showing friends when we were at the hobby shop.

It was Arii with the 'American Violence' series I think..I have an Arii '72 Challenger and '72 Thunderbird...  the text was something like 'the rumble of the large v8 motor under the hood vibrates the driver's bowels'..

Edited by Rob Hall

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

It was Arii with the 'American Violence' series I think..I have an Arii '72 Challenger and '72 Thunderbird...  the text was something like 'the rumble of the large v8 motor under the hood vibrates the driver's bowels'..

I have a '74 (IIRC) Firebird or Trans Am from that series, but I can't recall at the moment whether it's the actual American Violence boxing or not. Someday I'm gonna build the thing and paint it Buccaneer Red.

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

I have a '74 (IIRC) Firebird or Trans Am from that series, but I can't recall at the moment whether it's the actual American Violence boxing or not. Someday I'm gonna build the thing and paint it Buccaneer Red.

I don't think either of mine have the American Violence box art either, they are later releases..but I've seen the text online..it's hilarious.

30 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

THAT"S IT!  Thanks.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, randyc said:

THAT"S IT!  Thanks.

I think part of it was: "the rumble from the large V8 vibrates my bowels intensely". I have that text somewhere- I'll see if I can dig it up soon and post it. It truly belongs in a museum.

Why did I not buy one of these kits when they were more easily available? Oh yeah- that's right- the contents were actually worse than the box art and descriptions.

As a whole, though- they were so bad that they were good.

On the flip side of this- Yodel issued their Dodge Monaco and Plymouth Fury 4 Doors as part of a "BigAmerican" series. They had custom wheels, seats, rear spoilers and steering wheels. The contents of course, were the iffy Yodel kits, but- that box art was actually pretty good, inspiring even. It's as if they imagined the "Most Interesting Man in the World" as a Hollywood stunt driver. It makes me want to take one of those Dukes Cop cars and clone one of these.   

Not sure what Yodel was thinking when they decided to kit these, but whenever I see one of those Mopars appearing on a telly screen,
I know exactly that its seconds are numbered.

Great box art, though.

Edited by Junkman

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Wonder how they chose the license number? 1CJL526 was a 1981 Nissan 200SX that last passed smog in 1997, per the CA DMV smog test site.

"1C---" certainly does equate to late '81 / early '82 issue in-so-far-as California licence plates . Certainly does beg the question , as you've proposed ...

Edited by 1972coronet

• 11 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎27 at 3:39 PM, Rob Hall said:

In today's world where most everything about upcoming kit releases is known and discussed on the internet well in advance of release, I hardly even notice the box art since I already know what I'm getting...

Possibly the main reason for good sales of this subject...

29rvlfrd.jpg

For some reason, I find absolutely no connection or nostalgic draw between this representation and the images formed in my mind from years of reading and re-reading the old hot rod mags and attending car shows. Good thing for the forum discussions that help one look beyond the hideous color and mickey mouse headlights. Yes, I ended up with a couple  ^_^

mike

Edited by mk11