Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

Here's a thread that will provide you with reading enjoyment for many hours, along with modeling history and a look at weird kits you never knew existed.

I'd like to thank everyone that has contributed so far, this is great.

Not only "How did I miss this or that kit, but how did i miss this thread?"

Enjoy.^_^

57 minutes ago, Deathgoblin said:

Man, they didn't even try to get the top on that one correctly.  :(  And that was the box art?!?

And it humorously says 'retouched photo of actual model'...they didn't retouch enough...doesn't even have a windshield.  

In those Ertl days most box art kits didn't have the windows installed. Apparently whomever they had photographing builds had issues with reflections caused by shiny things like glass. 

If you look back on many of those kits they have poorly airbrushed reflections added to the photos.

Edited by Phirewriter

26 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

In those Ertl days most box art kits didn't have the windows installed. Apparently whomever they had photographing builds had issues with reflections caused by shiny things like glass. 

If you look back on many of those kits they have poorly airbrushed reflections added to the photos.

Yeah, so many of the AMT boxes of that era look like they put very little effort into the box art...very lazy...

32 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, so many of the AMT boxes of that era look like they put very little effort into the box art...very lazy...

At least those are slightly better than these ones like this Nova that I call "box of chocolate" kits because you never know what you're going to get inside! 

amt-1976-chevy-nova-street-machine-15.jpg.b3fd871100de6468d187e214052135de.jpg

I had bought this because I have a thing for grocery getters and the box art clearly shows a STOCK Nova on the box and of course this is also when AMT/RC2 put little or no information on the kit box describing the kit inside. I was quite disappointed when I opened the box and found nothing but a prostock/prostreet version in the box with not even an option to build the stock version on the box art. 

1 hour ago, highway said:

At least those are slightly better than these ones like this Nova that I call "box of chocolate" kits because you never know what you're going to get inside! 

amt-1976-chevy-nova-street-machine-15.jpg.b3fd871100de6468d187e214052135de.jpg

I had bought this because I have a thing for grocery getters and the box art clearly shows a STOCK Nova on the box and of course this is also when AMT/RC2 put little or no information on the kit box describing the kit inside. I was quite disappointed when I opened the box and found nothing but a prostock/prostreet version in the box with not even an option to build the stock version on the box art. 

You are not alone on the disappontment train on that one. I had it the same way. But as such, the boxart is not all that bad compared to other kits from the same time. They just put the wrong model on the box (or maybe in the box).

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I understand they didn't have much time to build and paint the models. I generally spend more time just doing prep work before painting than they had to finish the whole model.

I tried building a box art model for Model King 10 or 11 years ago.

Not easy even with the time I had.

Didn't matter as the kit was never reissued anyway.

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

I understand they didn't have much time to build and paint the models. I generally spend more time just doing prep work before painting than they had to finish the whole model.

I tried building a box art model for Model King 10 or 11 years ago.

Not easy even with the time I had.

Didn't matter as the kit was never reissued anyway.

Not talking about just the built kit appearance, but the whole box art back then...so bland..blank background, little or no information about the kit on the sides, etc.   Round 2 today puts a lot more effort into their box art. 

Just now, Rob Hall said:

Not talking about just the built kit appearance, but the whole box art back then...so bland..blank background, little or no information about the kit on the sides, etc.   Round 2 today puts a lot more effort into their box art. 

Ok, gotcha. 

Yea, they could have spent more time and money in the box art department.

• 1 year later...

Oh boy, have I got some good (bad?) ones for this thread.

What's this, A cat "barfing" out a hairball? No it's just a car.

1148110-26866-65-pristine.jpg.0a73f9c16ade8757df7ba10e3b46a515.jpg

Hope the driver pits soon, he just ran over the flagman and the flag is still stuck in the tire!

1679938779_s-l400(17).jpg.e8c5e131b9b93c2680271c9137326639.jpg

A Nomad with a "surfer hood ornament". I know, heresy you say, but it still looks funny.

vintage-revell-57-chevy-nomad-25_1_99323c540e18bc6251c9b37a49640016.jpg.f53651ed3b4f5b4110a680a820e84d08.jpg

Look out! Peter Graves just got run over by his own car!

2131b7143ac9b7bb28b82a13b8fba4e6.jpg.da2997dc53541721b2b669eb0d453971.jpg

Where is this Porsche going? Right into the sign post!

Porsche356-vi.jpg.09da16d28dd73a4dc90e3b618a1b8fef.jpg

This kit is just absurd. A crazy chimpanzee driving a hot rodded - SHOE?!!    Why?

1437594428_s-l400(39)(1).jpg.5d11a64d5c28122a88370d64a5f9bee4.jpg

On 12/15/2020 at 12:55 AM, Casey said:

Sory...

s-l1600.jpg.6d58eef64a02cb6cdea2793a0298d886.jpg

952710129_s-l1600(1).jpg.28e31e5bb4a5197f69a460724356e0cc.jpg

That's something some snot-nosed teen would build and still think it's  cool.  Really? A whale sized spoiler on rear deck??

And how in blue blazes does one get into the car? One of the most ridiculous model kits ever produced.

Edited by BlackSheep214