Model Cars Magazine Forum

Essex Wire Cobra

Ben269

I started this with the hope that it will be a quick build.   Time will tell.  Does anyone know if this car had a black (carpeted) interior, or a stripped down aluminum one?  Also, which valve covers would it have?  Most pictures of competition cars show them with the chrome ones, but this kit comes with the finned aluminum ones.  I can't find any good pictures of this car from back in the day.  There are pictures of the car in its current iteration, but it seems to have modern changes and equipment.  

Wow, thanks for the reference pics, guys.  I can tell from Gary's picture that the car did have a wood wheel, and the red knockoffs from Rex's.  

Maxx, I'll check out those wheels.  JC, I looked through your #6 427 build for some ideas yesterday.   That car turned out very nice.   

2 hours ago, Ben269 said:

Wow, thanks for the reference pics, guys.  I can tell from Gary's picture that the car did have a wood wheel, and the red knockoffs from Rex's.  

Maxx, I'll check out those wheels.  JC, I looked through your #6 427 build for some ideas yesterday.   That car turned out very nice.   

Cool project Ben. You had me at Shelby tho....

For the HRM stuff, contact Randy at https://www.modelbuilderswh.com/  he's a distributor for HRM stuff. And he's in Colorado too, should be a short shipping window.

Keep us updated.

Edited by Jhedir6

from my cobra world registry book,   competition cobra's like  (csx3009  essex  wire) ran smooth  chrome valve covers ,single 4 barrel and no air cleaner.   an  aircraft battery behind passenger seat and some used a different drivers seat.  about an hour drive from my house is the Cobra Experience Museum Martinez California . here are a few pics of csx3022  competition cobra.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0033 (1).JPG

One of the differences from stock on CSX3009 was the lip on the rear fenders was smoothed out as you can see in the photos.  I built mine before the Monogram Essex Wire kit was released so the decals are kind of funky now.  Dry rub-on lettering on clear decal which has now yellowed. 

Cobra_427Comp_001.jpg.54fc8369207b62a8e9d9c7ea8a6af6bd.jpgCobra_427Comp_002.jpg.2c6e666caa5a3ced838cf7077cf005e4.jpgCobra_427Comp_003.jpg.0cc13dece2356f15fcd99b82f2f16346.jpg

8 hours ago, Ben269 said:

JC, I looked through your #6 427 build for some ideas yesterday.   That car turned out very nice.   

Thanks Ben.  My build is based on the Sunny kit in 1/25 scale.  If you have any questions about what I did just ask.

i found those gauge faces hard to cut out , so i used  gauge  decals  from this street burner cobra kit.  painted the gauge part all silver, applied decals and finished off  with  a dab of clear 5 minute opoxy to make it look like glass.  maybe hard to tell from picture

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up those wheels from Historic Racing Miniatures.  They look great.  I'll post a pic of them when I figure out what the issue is.   From Gary and Rex's photos, they look like they should be magnesium, right?  I think ill try mixing a little black in with some aluminum and see if that looks right.

8 hours ago, Ben269 said:

I picked up those wheels from Historic Racing Miniatures.  They look great.  I'll post a pic of them when I figure out what the issue is.   From Gary and Rex's photos, they look like they should be magnesium, right?  I think ill try mixing a little black in with some aluminum and see if that looks right.

Ben,

The outer rims were shinny because they were machined I am thinking but the centers are as cast and would be darker as you suggest.

I use an app called Paint to reduce the size of my photos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...