Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another deFoosed Caddy

geewhiz

This is my first attempt to actually share a build here although I've been here following and occasionally commenting for several years.  I'm working on taking the new Foose '48 Cadillac and making it my own.  Hopefully there won't be much evidence of it's original intent when finished.  I've done several mods so far including reshaping the upper rear quarters, reshaping the roof and adding trim, reworking the hood and grille opening.  I'm now adding '55 Chevy headlamp eyebrows and have the left side roughed in and about to do the right side.  The chassis and drivetrain will probably remain untouched for the most part except for some Pegasus wheels, tires and brakes.  I will be adding some removed body trim and such back as this car comes along.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.  Here are a couple pics of the build so far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for the encouragement guys!!!  Ted, the wheels are definitely not set in stone and I'll be looking for others that might fit the theme a tad better.  I even thought of the chrome steelies from the Revell '49 Merc...I'm open to consider any suggestions.  ??

9 hours ago, geewhiz said:

Thanks for the encouragement guys!!!  Ted, the wheels are definitely not set in stone and I'll be looking for others that might fit the theme a tad better.  I even thought of the chrome steelies from the Revell '49 Merc...I'm open to consider any suggestions.  ??

Greg, Pegasus makes a real nice set of chrome steelies, I bought a set, dechromed them and used them on my Super Bee, I have another set, just don't know what I'm going to use them one yet, they are really nice though. I dig where you're going with this, especially the headlight surround conversion. Keep us posted.:wub:B)

Bee1.jpg

Edited by Geno

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.  Geno, I'll check out the chrome wheels.  They really give your Super Bee a great factory stock appearance.  I'm spending a little time with the "Caddy" this weekend as I find time.  I'm also spending a great deal of time searching the web for anyone who may have been at Takhli RTAFB, Thailand between April of 72 and October of 72.  Anyway, this is more fun but an agent orange disability check would be good as well.  I'm working on the right front fender tonight and hopefully will have a couple more pics by tomorrow night.  This car is really turning out to be more fun than I imagined.  If anyone else besides those already in build threads on the site, I would love to see what you're doing with yours.?

I love this so far! It's like an extra svelte version of the Polynesian by Valley Custom. 

I second the idea of chrome steel wheels with bullets, or Revell Merc chrome reverse....or even some nice wire wheels if they could be found. 

1962-Ford-Thunderbird-Alistair-Davidson-side.jpg

Coker-130516_HCG_0077.jpg

Edited by Spex84

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some bench time in today and got the right headlight roughed in and a test shot of a wheel/tire setup.  Kind of liking this look so far...thanks for the suggestion, Geno!!!  Not set in stone yet but I do like the chrome wheels and wide whites.  Time to think about the grille choice and maybe looking at changing the looks the back of the car.  Also, I'm pondering a change of windshield and windshield frame to further distance this car from it's intended style.  The more I ponder my plan for this the more I want to change...Here's a few pics and as always, ideas, suggestions, criticisms are welcome. ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by geewhiz
Added another thought, corrected spelling

On December 4, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Perspective Customs said:

I'm digging this. If only Revell would tool a stock version of the 48 Cadillac so we get those classic body lines to play with. A 55 would be nice too.

That sure would be a great kit as I ponder it and think of the possibilities, Jay!!!  Nowadays with the kits we're seeing, you might be onto something.  I would have two or three for sure.?????????

Nice mods so far. Love the 55 Chevy headlight brows. A suggestion to backdate the style a bit might be to add in the wing windows. Perhaps a chopped version of them. This way you may not have to change or replace the windshield frame to return the style to more of a 50's custom.

Later-

A couple of kits I can think of for nice wire wheels are Fujimi's Ferrari Daytonas. These have Borrani wheels made up of several pieces. Injection molded, so no flat spokes like photoetch wheels. Tamiya's Jaguar Mk.II Saloon has very nice one-piece wheels. 

On 12/14/2017 at 5:59 PM, geewhiz said:

I finally got some bench time in today and got the right headlight roughed in and a test shot of a wheel/tire setup.  ... I do like the chrome wheels and wide whites.  ... I'm pondering a change of windshield and windshield frame to further distance this car from it's intended style.  ...

image.jpeg

I'm enjoying the the thoughtful, purposeful approach you're taking to this re-do. You seem to be staying touch with your own instincts which is, in my experience, always a good guide. Between the rolling stock and the hooded, frenched headlights, I thing you've taken a pretty firm turn towards an old-school approach. The moldings on the trunk are gone, so that's one strong bit of "De-Foosing" already. The cowl treatment with the hood extended all the way to the windshield, a clearly modern touch, and the squared up, raked thin pillar windshield frame, are definite Foose "tells" and changing them would seal the deal de-Foosing-wise. Unfortunately the technical challenges this represents are considerable and I'm not sure I personally would have the intestinal fortitude to take it on. But, as I said, the change in appearance would be huge. Regardless, this is shaping up to be a handsome piece of personal expression. Build on!