Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another deFoosed Caddy

geewhiz

Thanks for the compliments, comments and suggestions, gentlemen.  This build definitely makes me think things through even as I'm working on the car.  The windshield frame may have to stay because as Bernard said, I'm not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to change it and somehow keep the roof in its current configuration.  I love the idea of adding the vent wing windows and I'm probably going to do that.  Some decent wire wheels are not affordable right now so I will put that suggestion in my future files because I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing another of these Caddy's in the future with a more detailed, elegant design.  I must say that this is the most fun I've had building a model car in recent history!!!  On to the cleanup of the front end and adding some chrome back to the body sides.  I've already got something in mind and hopefully will have more pics later this evening.  gb??

Thanks, Jeremiah!!!  I've been a bit under the weather yesterday and this morning but here's where I left the Caddy on Sunday evening.  I need to do something about the lighting, not so good for pics...

image.jpeg.5c9c69b38de35fdcbbb0974f482ffdcb.jpegjf

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by geewhiz

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I've updated but I've got this one a bit closer to paint.  I've got the Caddy up on wheels but I'm not happy with the tires.  I'll get that worked out as I do like the chrome wheels.  I have to get the grille and taillights worked out then paint.  I'm going with a sapphire blue metallic and while pearl top and interior.  Initially I didn't want to go with blue but this blue keeps feeling right so I'm going with it.  It looks like I'm going to need to rethink the rear wheel openings to get them in the proper place so the tires are centered.  Here's a few more pics.  Comments and suggestions welcome as always.  Oh, by the way,  I've scratched up a pair of vent wings to be chromed and installed during final assembly.  I think that they'll really help with the overall look of the car.  Thanks for looking!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by geewhiz

Thanks Brandon!!!  It's been fun so far and I'm thinking of carving some new taillights from an old transparent red toothbrush.  We'll see because it's just about time to paint.

David, I'm thinking some narrower white stripes would look good and since the wheels don't fit the tires well I'm going to look and see what tires I have that may work.  Wish me luck.  I want to finish this one and move on to something else!!!

I was just looking at them online and they're pretty much what I need.  The set I had tried were some that I picked up at a show somewhere and I don't know who's brand they are but the tires are not nice enough to use for this project.  I'll probably order a set of the Pegasus wheels/tires this week.  I may as well do it right and not be unhappy when it's all said and done.

I'm just going to echo everyone else, this looks great, and I really like what you did with the headlights, completely changes the look of the car.  As far as suggestions....uhhh, out a viper motor in it?? Criticisms, let's see here....how about you lie, and your breath stinks? That's all I got. Keep it up, it looks awesome!

Thanks, Steve!  Love the humor!  I'm hopefully going to get paint on the Caddy tonight.  As far as the engine, this one's going to have the kit BBC.  I want to do another one sometime with more extensive changes.  That Viper engine might be a possibility then.  Great idea, thanks!

Well then, the last week has been kind of hectic for me but I managed to get the car painted and polished and I found the tires I'm going to use.  I went with Testor's ModelMaster Stop Light Red metallic and it's going to look good when it's assembled and bare metaled and the white top and interior finished.  For now here's a couple more progress shots.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I hope to wrap it up by Saturday because I'm going to a little contest in Belmont, Wisconsin on Sunday.  Yeah, the interior is painted and ready for assembly.  I have to wire up and paint the engine and exhaust and then throw the car together.  It appears as though you can almost literally throw it together since parts seem to fit together so well.  I haven't had any fit issues so far.  I'll try to get more pics up later today.  The remainder of the car is going to be pretty much out of box for times sake since I want to do another more extensive Caddy somewhere down the road.  The color was a kind of last minute thought in keeping with deFoosing this ride.  I'm still going to use the chrome wheels with some Pegasus narrow whitewall tires.  I think it will look surprisingly good and more in line with the theme of the car.??

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys!!!  Well, the Caddy is done and won first in class at a very small contest.  Here's a couple shots and I'll post it in the under glass forum soon.  Thanks again for everyone's kind words and suggestions through this build.  It was fun, glad it's done!!!??image.jpeg.b9a7cca900e4620504ce8fd231840fe4.jpegimage.jpeg.9b59723852c8fee9a73dc9569e1d0b55.jpeg

Edited by geewhiz