[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      Board Status   07/20/2018

      We're still trying to solve a disk space problem. Unfortunately, it's being stubborn about getting rectified. There will be a long maintenance window this weekend, which I will announce here. Thank you all for being patient. 
DanR

When did Revell's 29 Ford Model A Roadster become a hard to find kit??

Recommended Posts

I'm seeing these selling for $45 or more. Was there a short run on these when they came out? I have one but was considering getting a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You missed all the drama apparently. The tooling was "lost" or "damaged" or "seized by the Chinese" or some combination of all three...or something different entirely. Revell's not telling the real story.

The kit went out of production, along with the '30 coupe that shares some of the same tooling.

Revell's elves are diligently working to do whatever is required to return both kits to the shelves.

Have patience, grasshopper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I did miss all of that. That's crazy - both of those were insanely popular kits. I was wondering why they seemed to have just disappeared. I'm glad that I at least got one of each!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are coming back, in modified versions..the '29 roadster is coming first...sounds like it gets the engine from the '30.   A photo of the box art for the '29 was posted somewhere here a while back, black w/ flames or scallops...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I had a vague recollection of seeing one at a nearby hobby shop so I made a lunchtime run. Score!!

29 Ford.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

They are coming back, in modified versions..the '29 roadster is coming first...sounds like it gets the engine from the '30.   A photo of the box art for the '29 was posted somewhere here a while back, black w/ flames or scallops...

The engine from the '30? I hope not. One of the nice things about the '29 was having the Buick Nailhead in it. The '30 had a Very nice Small Block Chevy. But, it was a Small Block Chevy. And there are plenty of kits out there already with a Small Block Chevy in them. So I'm hoping the reports of kit coming back without the Nailhead are not true. And if they are, I'm glad I bought my '29 in its first time out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

The engine from the '30? I hope not. One of the nice things about the '29 was having the Buick Nailhead in it. The '30 had a Very nice Small Block Chevy. But, it was a Small Block Chevy. And there are plenty of kits out there already with a Small Block Chevy in them. So I'm hoping the reports of kit coming back without the Nailhead are not true. And if they are, I'm glad I bought my '29 in its first time out. 

IIRC that's what the pic of the new box art showed... switching the parts around, so it's not a straight reissue... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The engine from the '30? I hope not. One of the nice things about the '29 was having the Buick Nailhead in it. The '30 had a Very nice Small Block Chevy. But, it was a Small Block Chevy. And there are plenty of kits out there already with a Small Block Chevy in them. So I'm hoping the reports of kit coming back without the Nailhead are not true. And if they are, I'm glad I bought my '29 in its first time out. 

The 29 roadster and 30 coupe were designed so the engines were interchangeable depending on which parts you use. So I don't think there's a need to worry that we're getting the 29 reissued with the Chevy. I bet when the 30 hits the market again is has the Nailhead (which I agree is infinitely cooler)

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The 29 roadster and 30 coupe were designed so the engines were interchangeable depending on which parts you use. So I don't think there's a need to worry that we're getting the 29 reissued with the Chevy. I bet when the 30 hits the market again is has the Nailhead (which I agree is infinitely cooler)

Still I'm glad I got mine when I did. I really dislike content change in any kit. I tend to like kits in their first runs for that reason. This why I'm delighted when Round 2 restores their kits as close to the original version as possible. And putting in Chevy Small Block in anything other than a Chevy should be crime. Again, the Chevy Small Blocks are one the great engines, in real life, ever designed. But, it's been put in way too many model kits over the years.

A few weeks ago, I bought a late release of Monogram's '32 Roadster. The one based on the original Little Duce kit. The Little Duce originally came with a Pontiac mill. Cool! A few years later they modified the tool to now have a Chevy Small Block in it? Why? The Pontiac was at least something different. I can't imagine that they thought that substituting a Pontiac motor for Chevy would increase sales? At that time I don't think that many kids really cared. As long as it had a V-8. 

No, they should not mess with the original content of any kit. The changes Revell has made to its '40 Ford kits, forced me to look for first editions of those kits recently. I didn't like the changes to the later releases. 

By the way, there are one or two exceptions to my feelings on this. The one kit that comes to mind right away is Revell's '76 Torino. There were several thing I disliked about the original release of that kit. Mainly that it could not be stock. Only as the Starsky and Hutch car. The way I wish they would have released it originally, was so it could built as a stock Torino. Or the TV car. As long as it could only be built as the TV car. I stayed away from the kit. 

Any how. Off of my soapbox for now. Feel free to agree or disagree with me as you wish. I okay with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 12:03 AM, DanR said:

I'm seeing these selling for $45 or more. Was there a short run on these when they came out? 

Not rare, just the money grubbing opportunists taking a stab at making a killing...  you know the guys who never build anything but always want to buy and sell as long as they are on the good end of the deal?   I hope Revell floods the market with those kits and these guys choke on them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Not rare, just the money grubbing opportunists taking a stab at making a killing...  you know the guys who never build anything but always want to buy and sell as long as they are on the good end of the deal?   I hope Revell floods the market with those kits and these guys choke on them.

 

Alrighty then......:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the next issue will actually be a modified reissue w/ different box art, different engine, etc, I would expect the original issue will only increase in value. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw at least one Revell '29 A Roadster kit (the original issue pictured above) on sale yesterday at The Model Cave in Ypsilanti, Michigan for sale at $23.  John and Melissa  (the owners) do mail order, and sometimes their ad appears here alongside these MCM forum pages.....TIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I saw at least one Revell '29 A Roadster kit (the original issue pictured above) on sale yesterday at The Model Cave in Ypsilanti, Michigan for sale at $23.  John and Melissa  (the owners) do mail order, and sometimes their ad appears here alongside these MCM forum pages.....TIM

Thanks Tim, I did find another 29. Now I'm on the hunt for another '30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 12:44 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

You missed all the drama apparently. The tooling was "lost" or "damaged" or "seized by the Chinese" or some combination of all three...or something different entirely. Revell's not telling the real story.

The kit went out of production, along with the '30 coupe that shares some of the same tooling.

Revell's elves are diligently working to do whatever is required to return both kits to the shelves.

Have patience, grasshopper.

 

Actually, what happened was, the factory in China was closed due to bankruptcy, and it took considerable time for the ownership of the tooling there to get sorted out, tooling returned to their rightful owners.

Art

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

 

Actually, what happened was, the factory in China was closed due to bankruptcy, and it took considerable time for the ownership of the tooling there to get sorted out, tooling returned to their rightful owners.

Art

So the "factory" in China went into bankruptcy and all of the assets frozen while China sorted out who belonged to what, but that had 0 impact on Revell and their release schedule and kit releases EXCEPT for this one tool?  Uhhhh-huh...

azVE99B_700b.jpg.6fd645abbe26c937fb8ba397fd97d997.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of these Chinese factories are almost mom and pop. Many US companies job out work to multiple Chinese factories. That could be what happened in this case. Whatever, I have several of the original kit already that I got when Hobby Lobby did a close out. The only way I'll get any more is if they back date it with a built up flathead and a period style transverse rear end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now