Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Hot Rod

unclescott58

Now that I can upload photos to this site, here is one I finished recently. It's Lindberg's 1/25 scale '32 Ford Hot Rod * Voiture Dynamisee. Kit #72165. A very old kit. Originally designed to be motorized. Low in any real detail. Yet I like it.  In fact I like it a lot. It's got a nice old fashion, old school Hot Rod feel to it, that works for me. 

By the way, several early Hot Rods and Hot Rod model kits had hoods similar to what is seen on this model. Does anybody know what was behind the design of these hoods? A few of us were speculating, that it might have been done that way to get around state and local laws that required some sort of hood on a vehicle. Not my favorite look. Nor am I big fan of cycle fenders. But, since I haven't built a lot of kits with either feature, I decided to go with them on this kit. And I do like them on this kit. 

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Go for it. It is a fun kit. Funky grille. But, that's what caught my attention in the first place. Making me to want to build it. 

Exactlyl. Almost looks like an old MG or something. I'd like to build one and see if I could put some sporty-car flair on it, or something of that nature. 

On 12/1/2017 at 6:19 AM, Snake45 said:

Exactlyl. Almost looks like an old MG or something. I'd like to build one and see if I could put some sporty-car flair on it, or something of that nature. 

Just wondering Snake. Have you picked one up yet? I'm presently working on AMT's '32 roadster. I'm building that one as a stock Model B roadster. As nice as the Revell '32 Fords are, I still enjoy these older, simpler kits. Again, the Lindberg '32 above was a lot of fun to build. And I like the way it turned out in the end. A fun kit. I'm look forward to seeing what you will do with one Snake. 

7 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Just wondering Snake. Have you picked one up yet? I'm presently working on AMT's '32 roadster. I'm building that one as a stock Model B roadster. As nice as the Revell '32 Fords are, I still enjoy these older, simpler kits. Again, the Lindberg '32 above was a lot of fun to build. And I like the way it turned out in the end. A fun kit. I'm look forward to seeing what you will do with one Snake. 

Haven't found one yet, buy I'll grab the next one I see. 

Like you, I love building the old retro kits. 

Nice job Scott.  I did a blue one about two years ago and other than bigger rear tyres and an aluminium floor pan, I built it from the box.  For me, it was all about the history of the model rather than the accuracy.  Certainly the cutaway style hood did appear on a number of real cars in the fifties/early sixties.

Snake, if you cut down the doors for elbow clearance and added dual Brooklands style screens, I reckon you'd be there!

Cheers

Alan

20 hours ago, alan barton said:

For me, it was all about the history of the model rather than the accuracy.

Cheers

Alan

I can't agree more. It's fun building models like this, from the time period they where tooled up. Sometimes a simple kit like this is a nice break from the more accurate, and more detailed kits of today. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, unclescott58 said:

Got one today at Ollie's. In fact, got two. Think I'll build one as a drag Altered, and then see about doing that funky MG-ish thingie I mentioned. Both should be fun. B)

51 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Got one today at Ollie's. In fact, got two. Think I'll build one as a drag Altered, and then see about doing that funky MG-ish thingie I mentioned. Both should be fun. B)

I'm looking forward see both of them when you get them done. Enjoy. It's a fun, but simple kit to build. 

Kinda disappointed that the body doesn't have the rear fender molding line on it. I might have to add that in some way. Maybe even just a thin tape, or something. 

For my planned Altered, disappointed that the interior is molded in place. I'm looking at going to center seating. Will have to cut all that out. 

Oh well, if it were easy, anybody could do it! B)