Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Mercury Comet Restoration Complete

Drag Monster

Thanks for all the great comments guys! Here is a a couple more photos. The Headlight lenses were separate, I did replace them with new ones the originals were glue covered. The paint is a mix of testors old school enamels (Pontiac Engine Blue and metallic Teal) The tail light lenses were filed down from the kits custom pieces to create stock lenses, the bezels were striped and refinished using alclad. I wish i Had taken photos of the car as it was originally found, the body was not painted but the interior and chassis was brush painted with a pinkish metallic paint. It also had the continental kit on the rear bumper and was missing the tires and wheels, luckily the stock wheel covers were in the box.

P1400440.jpg

60 Comet wip 2.jpg

P1400451.jpg

Edited by Drag Monster
added info

Nice save , Bill !  Perhaps my favourite thing about your finished restoration is the "in-scale" finish of its paint --- not overtly glossy and deep ; yet , not too 'dull' (like a single-stage metallic on a "1:1" vehicle) . 

Just perfect .

Keep up the great work !

P.S. - Your feline companion looks dashing ! Here's a pic of my two rescues : 5a22e0eb89cef_TopView_mollyoliver15may2017.jpg.801c0e58c3edfc89839f3ff51005d970.jpg

Wow that has to be the best build of a '60 Comet that I've ever seen, very nice job! The body style is really cool too so it's nice to see one that's built this well. Especially the paint and BMF work look flawless. Congrats on a super nice and clean build.

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Very cherry, Bill! Now I really have to get going on my '61. Did you redo the bumpers with Alclad or have them rechromed?

Front and rear bumpers as well as the fender ornaments and tail light bezels were finished with alclad. Wheel covers and side view mirror are the original kit chrome.