Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cal Custom 40-40 scoops, which kit ?

Chris Drysdale ask: " Greg, I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone scratchbuild realistic hollow Cal Custom 40-40 scoops! Or did they come from a kit?? If so, which one? "

I've been trying to find out myself. I thought they came frome an original Revell "55 - '57 Chevy kit'

20170927_112428.jpg

20171012_190424.jpg

To clear this up, these are the scoops in question. They were in an early model car kit issued in the mid sixties.

They were two parts two to a kit.

The 1:1 scoops were made by Cal-Custom and were available for two and four barrel carbs.

The scoops we're looking for here are the four barrel scoops.

The question is, what kit did they come in? 

s-l1000.jpg

20171012_190424.jpg.0673b4a44237e30ffb0355ad309dcb11.jpg

20170927_112428.jpg.e306b4d828a4624169ae42b5cea37f09.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers
PP.

Mr. Watson my dear misguided friend, the carbs and manifold are from the original AMT '32 Roadster HEMI. another dead end in the search for the origins of the Cal-Custom CARBURETOR scoops.

There is no debate here as to the availability of the Cal_Custom cast aluminum style BOLT-ON HOOD scoop in the early Revell '55 - '57 Chevy kits, as was never stated other than "Mark's" post.

You seem to have a bug up your butt about something I've said or done. Whatever it is I am truly sorry. Hope you get over it.;)

All I'm trying to do here is ascertain the origins of the two scoops i dug out of my parts bin with a cloudy 70 year olds memory thinking they were from an original Revel kit I built in 1962.

This oldsters memory seems to be the crux of all this.:blink:

Again I am truly sorry for the confusion.

So maybe you and Mark could put your brains together and come up with the origin of those CARBURETOR scoops. Chris Drysdale and I would appreciate that as I'm sure would a few others.

Christian, you know me now.  Greg was being helpful to me in starting this thread. The "obvious" comment was not directed at you in the first place. I appreciate the feedback of members who recalled various different air scoops that are similar but not what I was looking for.

The title of the thread clearly states "Cal Custom 40-40", which is the official name of the 1:1 scoop in question, as pictured in Steve Milberry's post and Greg's "to clear this up" post.

If you have the parts in front of you, on the tree with other parts that will indicate which kit they were found in,  I'd appreciate a photograph.

Thanks Casey. You're more tolerant than I sir. Doubt you'll get gracious thanks from Greg. It's the rest of our problem, not his. :D

Chris, Casey is correct. Eldon/Doyusha Invader. Suggest you use another spokesmodel next time, or just PM Mark, Casey, me, a few others. 

Here's huge picture from Showrods .com. Great place to look for obscure speed parts and great builds. 

Credit to Mike Scott for the build. 

invader13_1200.JPG

Funny, I assumed Doyusha Invader from the start, as it was the ONLY kit I was aware of that had 40-40 scoops...but all the photos I could find of it were too small to make any conclusions, and they appeared to lack the "V" shape of the front openings of the scoops on Greg's model.  So I couldn't say for sure.

Looks like Greg's were modified to be more accurate to the 1:1 item...now that I look more closely, I can see that the unbuilt version in that original photo has not been modified and has a blunt front, just like the Doyusha scoops. 

I think we can call this one wrapped up for now, thanks for your help.