Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Snaptite Max prepainted bodies

DanR

45 minutes ago, DanR said:

I know this has been asked before - How do you strip the factory finish off of these? I found a Dale Jr. Chevy for about $9 but would prefer to do a different car.

Dan the plastic is blue. You can't strip it. Just prime it and then paint it metallic silver then prime it again and paint it any color you want. If your going with a dark color you can probably skip the metallic silver it is to prevent the dark blue body from bleeding into the top coat paint.

6 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Dan the plastic is blue. You can't strip it. Just prime it and then paint it metallic silver then prime it again and paint it any color you want. If your going with a dark color you can probably skip the metallic silver it is to prevent the dark blue body from bleeding into the top coat paint.

Cool, thanks for the response!

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

I dont have the one of the Chevy's but the Logano Ford is yellow, cant strip that, but the red comes off with IPA. You want 91% or better to take off the paint and clear that Revell uses. But the base colour you're just going to have to prime and paint, or use a sealer like BIN, then prime and paint.

Dan , you really don't need to strip the silver. I used the junior body for a recent build did not strip the silver and painted the car white after spraying metallic silver then primer to block the blue. I got the tip from David Thibodeaux from a scale auto article.  Here is my results.

finalcreed10.jpg

finalcreed14.jpg

On 12/3/2017 at 6:12 AM, MarkJ said:

Dan , you really don't need to strip the silver. I used the junior body for a recent build did not strip the silver and painted the car white after spraying metallic silver then primer to block the blue. I got the tip from David Thibodeaux from a scale auto article.  Here is my results.

finalcreed10.jpg

finalcreed14.jpg

Mark - I already dropped it in the IPA and most of the black and silver is gone. The guys were right - it takes it off quite fast. Your 78 car looks phenomenal!