Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mitsubishi GTO - Tamiya

Mixalz

Just wrapped up another project. Standard OOB build. Only real difference was painted the stock rims black.

PtZRqZx.jpg

4OZkBsW.jpg

5XcrJUc.jpg

Before:

eh5PDOV.jpg

After (Tamiya anti static dusting brush):

rh7lvHZ.jpg

BaogB7X.jpg

KXCOn2D.jpg

ovOHvPw.jpg

mLjHO4b.jpg

I'm really happy with my undercarriages and interiors at this point. Need to work on not ruining my exteriors/shells during assembly. Learning every step of the way. 

Thanks for looking,

Michael

Thanks for looking and the comments!

12 hours ago, vwdave92 said:

Looks great.  

What did you not like about the outside?  You made a comment about not ruining the out shell; maybe we can help?

It really isn't visible in the photos but a few issues:

1. During my clear painting I got a speck of dust on the surface. Normally I would either: A) leave it and polish it later or, B) pick it out with fine tipped tweezers if its protruding into the air. This time it looked like it was protruding so I went to grab it and it wouldn't lift out. So I tried again and again each time grabbing closer to the paint until I inevitably touched the surface and creased the paint. It polished out about 70% so there is still some texture which I'm annoyed with. 

2. Putting the model down inside a cardboard box. This is how I store models during construction to avoid dust. Picking it up and putting it down resulted in the pain on the side skirts rubbing off down to primer! Lesson here is use paper towel or similar for cushioning.

3. Polishing through sharp edges. Had to re color coat the model during the polishing stage (prior to clear) due to primer being exposed on the edges. Any suggestions here?

4. Snapped off a mirror. Lesson learnt drill holes and use a pin/rod

5. Gluing in mirrors (the "glass"). What glue do people use. Because you have to basically drop the mirror insert in, the problem I get is glue seeping up on to the "mirror" surface. Again not in the photo but its there on the model :( 

That is about it. Not major problems but I'm slowing aiming for perfection.

9 hours ago, Mixalz said:

Thanks for looking and the comments!

It really isn't visible in the photos but a few issues:

1. During my clear painting I got a speck of dust on the surface. Normally I would either: A) leave it and polish it later or, B) pick it out with fine tipped tweezers if its protruding into the air. This time it looked like it was protruding so I went to grab it and it wouldn't lift out. So I tried again and again each time grabbing closer to the paint until I inevitably touched the surface and creased the paint. It polished out about 70% so there is still some texture which I'm annoyed with. 

2. Putting the model down inside a cardboard box. This is how I store models during construction to avoid dust. Picking it up and putting it down resulted in the pain on the side skirts rubbing off down to primer! Lesson here is use paper towel or similar for cushioning.

3. Polishing through sharp edges. Had to re color coat the model during the polishing stage (prior to clear) due to primer being exposed on the edges. Any suggestions here?

4. Snapped off a mirror. Lesson learnt drill holes and use a pin/rod

5. Gluing in mirrors (the "glass"). What glue do people use. Because you have to basically drop the mirror insert in, the problem I get is glue seeping up on to the "mirror" surface. Again not in the photo but its there on the model :( 

That is about it. Not major problems but I'm slowing aiming for perfection.

OK I can help with a couple.  For mirrors, windows etc you can use white glue (elmers) or Micro-Clear (special glue for windows) or Testors window glue.  I also use tamiya's clear acrylic for attaching small parts like body badges etc.  Dries clear and doesn't mess up the surface.

Pin/rod for attaching things... I use stick pins from the sewing department

Storage in cardboard boxes.  I use empty baby wipe boxes.  Plastic, perfect size, indestructible.  Once the body is painted I work over / on / store in old tshirts.  The cotton is soft and easy to find.

Polishing and sanding etc... I'll have to leave that to smarter people :)  

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, IJ001 said:

Sorry I'm fashionably late to this gig... Very nice build, Michael, on my to-do pile for early this year aswell.

Ian.

Thanks Ian.

2 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

I'm the same as you, body painting and gloss finishes scare me, but chassis and interiors are fine(ish) this car came out great!

Yeah its a scary process trying to get a perfect shell. The S15 I'm building has had 6 coats of primer (with sanding in between) in an attempt to get a good finish. Aoshima plastic is definitely worse than Tamiya's.

Keep building peeps!