Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gasser Wheel ID

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Those look very similar to the wheels in most issues of AMT's '25 T kits. There was some discussion about them on here a while back. I'll see if I can find it. 

Haven't found it here yet, but did find on the net. The wheels we were discussing at the time turned out to be limited production Gene Winfield Terra Thrusts. I'm not 100% sure that's what's on the car in your pic but they are the wheels in the AMT T kits. More here: 

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/defining-hot-rod-and-custom-car-legacy-wheels-part-3/

1 hour ago, afx said:

Those are killer wheels Casey, wish they were 1/25 scale.

The JO-HAN '63 Plymouth kit Stu mentioned has them, or very close to them.

Mike, which kit are those wheels from?

I can't recall any other 1/25 scale kits which included the Lemans wheels, though. 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The Jo-Han wheels don't have open slots, but sanding (not grinding) the back side will open them up.  A couple other Jo-Han kits had those wheels, but they are tougher to find than the Plymouth.

You are correct Mark, as I just looked at my JoHan '63 Plymouth Hardtop kit.

Xingu was kind enough to send me the (3) wheels he had.  The wheels are rather small 15.6 mm outside diameter - that works out to approximately a 14" wheel. Digging through my tire box I found a single tire (Murphy's law strikes again) small enough for the rims.  It is a Pirelli exactly like those in the old Revell '41 Willys only slightly smaller.  Anyone know the kit source for this tire or have a spare?

For the remaining single wheel I opened up the grease cap and installed a larger rim to produce a 15" wheel.  Hope to have this wheel resin cast.

DSCN5028

18 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I still think the wheels in the original picture are the rare Winfields, not the American Lemans, but apparently I'm in the minority on that. :wacko:

This what I come up with doing a search for Gene Winfield Terra Thrusts.

gene-winfield-terra-thrust-wheel.jpg

Edited by afx

That Pirelli tire is 99% likely to be Revell.  AMT, MPC, and Jo-Han never made a Pirelli, nor did Monogram (had they done so, theirs would be 1/24 scale and thus larger).  Maybe you've got an older tire that has shrunk.  You don't want an old Revell tire anyway; their tires were particularly nasty in regards to softening adjacent plastic.  They could be used with resin wheels (inner and outer would have to be resin).

Revell included those Pirelli tires in a few other kits.  I believe they were in the first issue '31 Ford sedan, and are back in recent issues of it.  (The Seventies and Eighties issues have other two-piece tires.)

1 hour ago, Mark said:

That Pirelli tire is 99% likely to be Revell.  AMT, MPC, and Jo-Han never made a Pirelli, nor did Monogram (had they done so, theirs would be 1/24 scale and thus larger).  Maybe you've got an older tire that has shrunk.  You don't want an old Revell tire anyway; their tires were particularly nasty in regards to softening adjacent plastic.  They could be used with resin wheels (inner and outer would have to be resin).

Revell included those Pirelli tires in a few other kits.  I believe they were in the first issue '31 Ford sedan, and are back in recent issues of it.  (The Seventies and Eighties issues have other two-piece tires.)

Did the IMC VWs have Pirellis? 

1 hour ago, afx said:

This what I come up with doing a search for Gene Winfield Terra Thrusts.

gene-winfield-terra-thrust-wheel.jpg

Maybe the wheels in the AMT '25 T are Winfields, then, and maybe they're not. But I think they look like the wheels in your picture. Here they are with the low areas painted black. I think they'd look just like your picture with the low areas painted flat steel. 

AMT63VetteHTA16.jpg.292c638037ce05c25ca0bfd4a9a5f0c9.jpg

AMT63VetteHTA17.jpg.ccd838db985c791fd4c8a478161cfa51.jpg

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Did the IMC VWs have Pirellis? 

Nope.  The stock version used Continentals.  The drag version front tires are Goodyears, same as the stock tire in the Dodge A-100 kit.

The gasser wheels are most likely Americans.  The American was magnesium, the Winfield wheel was probably aluminum so the former would have a distinct weight advantage. 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Nope.  The stock version used Continentals.  The drag version front tires are Goodyears, same as the stock tire in the Dodge A-100 kit.

That's right. I knew they were something oddball. Once again, You Da Man! B)

On 12/9/2017 at 7:30 PM, Mark said:

Checked the '31 Ford, the Pirellis in that kit appear to be the same style and size as the '41 Willys.  They are both larger than the tire I show above.

Image result for revell 41 willysImage result for revell 31 ford

Edited by afx

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I was looking in an unbuilt AMT annual '64 Corvette Coupe kit and discovered wheels identical to the ones in the original post. The instruction sheet identifies them as "Winfield Tera-Thrusts." They also have optional knock-offs.