Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

5 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Ok, here's a few in my line up. let me know if you need help identifying any of them. :P

1200px-Vanwall_Mallory_Park.JPG

download (1).jpg

Lola_MK6_GT_Car_4.jpg

image.jpg

b3d54171534771490036c71240c943f9--cheetahs-kit-car.jpg

download (5).jpg

Definitely a Lola GT full scale in 1/25, I have a 1/32 curbside that is a "street" version of the slot-car, also a full-scale 1/25th Cheetah.

2 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

Revell makes a 50 olds

I think Bob was referring more to this out of the 1950's..................

1149573895314_IMG_8330.JPG.c364cddef9c9d781b8ade98ee1f20879.JPG
0dcd_3.JPG.41f9eaddf6451a8ca4ce8963ff4e4ba5.JPG
5a246a3e4c834_1957Olds98Convertible.thumb.jpg.ff51ca2f2332bfa8a248775983d2b68a.jpg
43_1_b.jpg.dd7ee5ef72e4f5773add45329477fb2d.jpg

I have to say that I can see Moebius doing the '57 Olds sometime.......lots of history with that one!

2 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Interesting ride! What is this?

VW Karmann Ghia Type 34..........only sold in Europe, but a number of them made it over here to the states. When I was a kid in the '60's, there was a neighbor that had one of these.........used to walk past it every day going to school, but I had no idea what it was till years later. ;)

2 minutes ago, High octane said:

Hmmm, while I have PLENTY to build already and really need another model kit like another hole in my head, I would like a '69-'70 Javelin kit and a '60 Buick convertible kit as well.

You got that right Nick! I have enough kits to last building maybe three lifetimes! An up to date Javelin kit would be nice though, even though I have those in resin and plastic. ALL of the cars I posted I have in kit form in one medium or another 'cept for the Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Even that one can be had though Airtrax IIRC, as I thought I saw them with that kit when I was at the NNL East.

Then again, I am dreaming of a good kit of this one;

2008_Spyker_C8_Laviolette_-_Flickr_-_The

Extra points if you know what it is..   image grabbed off the web.

On the other hand I cannot make a business case for a project like that, and I would certainly not sink my own money into it. I doubt I would make it back.

8 minutes ago, lysleder said:

On the other hand I cannot make a business case for a project like that, and I would certainly not sink my own money into it. I doubt I would make it back.

easy peasy... C8 laviolette, just remember im dutch and a share holder in the company :P

Oh, and im a huge sportscar nut. I dont care much for normal cars (hence why i got a s**t daily driver and a killer M3 in the garage)

Edited by JeroenM3

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Almost any full sized car from the 50s & 60s.

As is, we have almost nothing except a lot of Chevies & Fords.

Think of it.

Since the age of the annuals, there are almost no Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, Mercurys, Lincolns, Plymouths, Dodges or Chryslers available in kit form.

As an example, if you wanted to build a modern tool Buick or Mercury, your only choices are the re-popped '62 Electra & '66 Wildcat for Buick, & the '64 & '66 Merc. Nothing new.

Not a single modern kit from the 50s for Pontiac, Buick, Mercury, Lincoln, Dodge & Desoto.

You can count the rest of the makes, barring Chevy & Ford, on one hand.

Steve

The biggest "fly in the ointment" is determining what subject(s) would sell enough units, to not only pay the development/tooling costs, but leave some profit $$ in the till, to fund that next new kit.  Virtually all the "high profile" car subjects have been done, some many times, in kit form already.  Some subjects are so perennially popular,  they seem almost like corn flakes, make more of them, people will buy them.  So many other subjects however,  really are in "missionary sale" territory--and those can be tough to move.

Art

22 minutes ago, lysleder said:

What is it? Ugly IMO. 

11 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

What is it? Ugly IMO. 

make: Spyker

Model: C8 Laviolette

Small dutch car manufacturer, Last geneva show they showed the public their new engine... its only to be produced by Koenigsegg though, so that should be something to look forward too. I doubt Koenigsegg would sell them engines if they are really a dead fish in the water.... Also, dont forget this car was launched in 2003 or 2004. For back than this thing was a looker! shame america has so many health and safety rules, causing Spyker to mount a hideous steering wheel compared to how they initially launched their car...

24 minutes ago, Art Anderson said:

The biggest "fly in the ointment" is determining what subject(s) would sell enough units, to not only pay the development/tooling costs, but leave some profit $$ in the till, to fund that next new kit.  Virtually all the "high profile" car subjects have been done, some many times, in kit form already.  Some subjects are so perennially popular,  they seem almost like corn flakes, make more of them, people will buy them.  So many other subjects however,  really are in "missionary sale" territory--and those can be tough to move.

Art

With this in mind Art, wouldn't either multiple versions of the same kit or a 2n1 or 3n1 be attractive to a model company? Take pickups for example- Moebius seems to be getting some decent mileage from it's Ford F100 series kits and with at least 1 more version coming (4wd), it would seem to make sense to create something similar with another subject. Revell has created at least 3 versions of the Chevy Nova and I don't recall how many of the 69 Camaro, all with a lot of the same tooling so the costs are spread over a larger number of kits.

I realize the 70's are over and the days of having 2n1 and 3n1 kits are probably behind us, but if someone came out with a 1974 Dodge pickup kit that could be built both 2wd and 4wd, I can promise you I would be buying multiples of that kit as would many others. Same goes if it was a Chevy or Ford kit from the same era.

36 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

What is it? Ugly IMO. 

Well, you're looking at its rear end, you..                   ...should only have seen the first prototype. 

Actually, I find it to be better looking from behind than from the front. I find it interesting and retro in a cool way.  I guess what really got to me was the interior!

Spyker-spyder-1.jpg

Edited by lysleder

Since we're on a more Sports Car kick here :

- 1985-1988 BMW M6 Baveria 

- Peugeot 205 GTI 

- 1984 Supra

- 1984 Celeca 

The last two were produced by MPC back in the 80's , but have never seen the light of day since ! Hopefully the tooling still exists ; Round2 needs to re-release these gems (sans the ridiculously-deep tinted glass ; a new set of tyres would be best , too ).

1 hour ago, Art Anderson said:

Art

I agree Art.

Chances are we will never see 98% of these, which is why I keep buying old annual kits.

It's kind of funny when you think about it, but I've been buying annual kits fairly frequently for the past 5 or 6 years, I've probably bought 50 or more, and I'm sure that I haven't even put a dent in what there is out there for old subject matter.

I don't believe I've bought more than a half dozen modern kits in that time frame, and I pretty much have everything that I want.

In the entire 3 pages of this thread so far, I've seen only a few that I would even look twice at on the hobby shop shelves.

Call me a dinosaur I guess, but at least I'm glad that a good number of the cars that I want to build are out there in the ether somewhere.

I won't have a problem keeping very busy for the rest of my modeling career, and I won't have to sit around and wait for the scraps that the model companies toss to me.

Steve

30 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree Art.

Chances are we will never see 98% of these, which is why I keep buying old annual kits.

It's kind of funny when you think about it, but I've been buying annual kits fairly frequently for the past 5 or 6 years, I've probably bought 50 or more, and I'm sure that I haven't even put a dent in what there is out there for old subject matter.

I don't believe I've bought more than a half dozen modern kits in that time frame, and I pretty much have everything that I want.

In the entire 3 pages of this thread so far, I've seen only a few that I would even look twice at on the hobby shop shelves.

Call me a dinosaur I guess, but at least I'm glad that a good number of the cars that I want to build are out there in the ether somewhere.

I won't have a problem keeping very busy for the rest of my modeling career, and I won't have to sit around and wait for the scraps that the model companies toss to me.

Steve

We agree....A LOT. 

I started maybe 3 or 4 years back buying up old annuals. I dont know the exact quanity count.....but If I print my excel spreadsheet of them it's  3 full pages worth.

In contrast I could probably count the modern tooled  kit purchases on both hands.

I have more than enough kits stashed away to take.me to the end of my days and never have to buy another kit.....period.