Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

The kits I would want to see are not neccessarily ones that the rest of the modelling world would purchase!

1968 Fury III convertible. - we had one of these when I was in high school. Was one of the cars I learned to drive in.

5a2568a25fc4e_1968FuryIII.jpg.e2265fe47464ca4ab134a8a1ec28faee.jpg

1978 Ford Thunderbird. My first car. Have always wanted a kit of this, but the only one i've ever seen is an awful 1/32 Lindberg kit.

5a2568a6185b0_1978Thunderbird.jpg.8be37d1fd2659bfc8190624bba4168bd.jpg

Late 70s Ford boat. I love these big old ugly things! Pic is an LTD II, but any late 70s boat would be great. Country Squire, LTD, Caprice, Fury, whatever. It's all good!

5a2568a3b386b_1978FOrdLTDII.jpg.b3a37f6f0728e286352891f85d0420b7.jpg

Late 70s Dodge trucks. Especially in Power Wagon form!

5a2568a509b18_1978PowerWagon.jpg.b68d6ee9f118d5ded8e1aa7f72adc299.jpg

5a256acc2f38d_1977PowerWAgon.jpg.e8064911be1d6e0b5c2fcc4b97cd5826.jpg

Modern pickups. we don;t need more late 60s Fords or GMs. Let's see something built in the last five years! New Ram trucks, new GMC/Chev trucks. Anything! Well...anything but Ford. Ha!

5a2568a9ae77f_2017RamRebel.jpg.546fb4824c03786828c7c9754f3dbe21.jpg

Modern SUV. Again, modern vehicles. I'm tired of seeing 60s muscle cars, 50s cars, hot rods, and junky reissues. I want modern vehicles.

5a2568a87488b_2016TahoeLTZ.jpg.6ffb5ec6658806ee41dc2362c868505e.jpg

5a2568a73eb6c_2015SRTGC.jpg.82c368dcb511d06f2009ddb4a630d26f.jpg

And what I think would actually be a sure fire hit, a chassis cab. In this case, 2018 Ram 5500. Imagine how great that would be to have an actuall proper chassis cab we could build on!

5a25b8a10cba1_2018Ram5500ST.jpg.780da8bbcfdaa308aa048a0b83a92eac.jpg

A couple of other things:

2013+ Dodge Challenger - something with the current interior, especially in Hellcat or Hellcat Widebody form!

Semi trucks build after 1980. Again, vintage trucks are only slightly interesting, and have been done to death. Let's see some more modern era trucks.

Again, I know these wouldn't be the most popular choices, so I wouldn't realistically expect any of these to go into production, but I can dream.

:)

Edited by iamsuperdan

2 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

There are way too many too list but to keep it simple-

"anything mopar-anything at all".

Somebody might know but why don't we have a hellcat or demon.It would seem like a no-brainer.

Is there some kind of licensing issue-does anybody know?

You nailed it!

FCA is notorious in the industry for their rules and demands when it comes to licensing. Frustrates the dealers, as diecasts of older product are huge, and demand for new diecast is massive. But it's not happening. 

I second the Cheetah, but throw in some extras so's I can make it a /MSP.

And it would be nice to get some of the American 'off' brands. Early iron anything other than a Ford (there are plenty of those). GMs, Mopars, Mercs from the '50s. Anything from the '60s - as long as it isn't a re-issued promo with the blob undercarriage and molded-in seats. Hey, howzabout a Javelin? Make 'em all 2-in-1s, too. Street/strip/oval/custom or bone stock for those poor rivet counters.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? 

Oh, and all 1/25 (my fantasy, my rules).

Edited by Reegs

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

These would surely be big sellers too...

Image result for oddball cars

I don't know about big sellers, but I'd buy the bottom three for sure.

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

You nailed it!

FCA is notorious in the industry for their rules and demands when it comes to licensing. Frustrates the dealers, as diecasts of older product are huge, and demand for new diecast is massive. But it's not happening. 

I always find licensing a curious thing. While I understand the car companies would want their products accurately depicted, and I guess collecting their dime for use of intellectual property, it seems a lot of it is like free product promotion and they would be eager to encourage product development of items such as models & toys. After all, as some of us older folk remember, the car companies use to to commission the model companies to to produce models to used as promotional tools.

33 minutes ago, #1 model citizen said:

I always find licensing a curious thing. While I understand the car companies would want their products accurately depicted, and I guess collecting their dime for use of intellectual property, it seems a lot of it is like free product promotion and they would be eager to encourage product development of items such as models & toys. After all, as some of us older folk remember, the car companies use to to commission the model companies to to produce models to used as promotional tools.

I guess they look at licensing as a cost. And at the end of the day, why would they pay to produce promo models, when eventually they'll find a company to pay them ridiculous amounts of money to do it for them!

1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

As the song goes, that was yesterday, and testerday's done.  The car companies still want to promote their stuff to the young, though the emphasis seems to be on video games rather than models.

As far as licensing goes, it's not just about models.  They're also looking at things like this:

16ac3e70-4d3f-4e80-879b-88943c42f514_1.9

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I don't know about big sellers, but I'd buy the bottom three for sure.

:D  Seriously....now that I think about it, it seems that aircraft and particularly armor kit producers offer some really oddball, unusual and absolutely fascinating subjects

The model car producers, however, seem to prefer mostly the same old subjects that they seem to think will have mass appeal, and are therefore safer economic risks.

It must cost a LOT more to research and tool to produce a HIGHLY ACCURATE and HIGHLY COMPLEX kit of something that only 1 or 2 of still exist in reality, in little ol' 1/35 scale (that requires very fine detail engraving and lotsa tiny parts to look right) than it takes to do another ho hum US car that can be found just about anywhere with a little effort.

What's the deal? Why the extreme difference in the perception of the market for car-model builders and other subjects?

3 hours ago, Reegs said:

And it would be nice to get some of the American 'off' brands. Early iron anything other than a Ford (there are plenty of those). GMs, Mopars, Mercs from the '50s. Anything from the '60s - as long as it isn't a re-issued promo with the blob undercarriage and molded-in seats. Hey, howzabout a Javelin? Make 'em all 2-in-1s, too. Street/strip/oval/custom or bone stock for those poor rivet counters.

Even though I think I'm far from it, I guess that makes me a "poor rivet counter" because I prefer to build stock vehicles. :huh:

The name of the topic is "What would YOU like to see as a model",  not "What do you think will be the next hot seller".  I just put down what I like, and if other people think they might want one, great.  I make no pretense of speaking for "everyone".

The topic of car models vs everything else did come up at a model show, where4 it was mostly armour and planes, and hardly any cars, and the reason I got was that they had no interest in building something they saw on the street every day.  

The hobby does seem to be split into "car modelers" and "everyone else", and a lot of people on this side do seem more interested in reliving their childhood than building models, but it's not even that cut and dried.,  The Japanese seem to do a healthy business selling models of exotics, so clearly not everyone wants to build just whatever dad owned back in '72.   The diecast market is selling all sorts of oddball stuff, where they not only have to pay for moulds, but someone to put it together too.

Maybe it's just the nature of forums like this.   We like to associate with people who share our interests, and we end up just reinforcing our opinions.

On 3-12-2017 at 11:32 PM, unclescott58 said:

What is it? Ugly IMO. 

make: Spyker

Model: C8 Laviolette

Small dutch car manufacturer, Last geneva show they showed the public their new engine... its only to be produced by Koenigsegg though, so that should be something to look forward too. I doubt Koenigsegg would sell them engines if they are really a dead fish in the water.... Also, dont forget this car was launched in 2003 or 2004. For back than this thing was a looker! shame america has so many health and safety rules, causing Spyker to mount a hideous steering wheel compared to how they initially launched their car...

2 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The name of the topic is "What would YOU like to see as a model",  not "What do you think will be the next hot seller".  I just put down what I like, and if other people think they might want one, great.  I make no pretense of speaking for "everyone".

The topic of car models vs everything else did come up at a model show, where4 it was mostly armour and planes, and hardly any cars, and the reason I got was that they had no interest in building something they saw on the street every day.  

The hobby does seem to be split into "car modelers" and "everyone else", and a lot of people on this side do seem more interested in reliving their childhood than building models, but it's not even that cut and dried.,  The Japanese seem to do a healthy business selling models of exotics, so clearly not everyone wants to build just whatever dad owned back in '72.   The diecast market is selling all sorts of oddball stuff, where they not only have to pay for moulds, but someone to put it together too.

Maybe it's just the nature of forums like this.   We like to associate with people who share our interests, and we end up just reinforcing our opinions.

Well said, with most of the stuff i see posted here i just think "wow what an old boring crappy cars" but thats just my personal opinion, simply because im no fan of american cars (sorry) and i dont like old cars.. However its nice to see what people like. I mainly build exotics, that way i can own those cars, instead of having to earn millions to afford a huge storage space to park the real stuff ;) :P

On 12/3/2017 at 7:59 AM, Greg Myers said:

Ok, here's a few in my line up. let me know if you need help identifying any of them. :P

Lola_MK6_GT_Car_4.jpg

Hi, there is a Volki 1/24 slot kit version of this car I believe.

image.jpg

b3d54171534771490036c71240c943f9--cheetahs-kit-car.jpg

HRM has this one in 1/24, I bought myself one.

download (5).jpg

MFH has a 1/24 full detail of which I bought one.  Also Profile24 has a nice curb side of it as well.

Edited by aurfalien

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

The kits I would want to see are not neccessarily ones that the rest of the modelling world would purchase!

1968 Fury III convertible. - we had one of these when I was in high school. Was one of the cars I learned to drive in.

5a2568a25fc4e_1968FuryIII.jpg.e2265fe47464ca4ab134a8a1ec28faee.jpg

1978 Ford Thunderbird. My first car. Have always wanted a kit of this, but the only one i've ever seen is an awful 1/32 Lindberg kit.

5a2568a6185b0_1978Thunderbird.jpg.8be37d1fd2659bfc8190624bba4168bd.jpg

Late 70s Ford boat. I love these big old ugly things! Pic is an LTD II, but any late 70s boat would be great. Country Squire, LTD, Caprice, Fury, whatever. It's all good!

5a2568a3b386b_1978FOrdLTDII.jpg.b3a37f6f0728e286352891f85d0420b7.jpg

Late 70s Dodge trucks. Especially in Power Wagon form!

5a2568a509b18_1978PowerWagon.jpg.b68d6ee9f118d5ded8e1aa7f72adc299.jpg

5a256acc2f38d_1977PowerWAgon.jpg.e8064911be1d6e0b5c2fcc4b97cd5826.jpg

Modern pickups. we don;t need more late 60s Fords or GMs. Let's see something built in the last five years! New Ram trucks, new GMC/Chev trucks. Anything! Well...anything but Ford. Ha!

5a2568a9ae77f_2017RamRebel.jpg.546fb4824c03786828c7c9754f3dbe21.jpg

Modern SUV. Again, modern vehicles. I'm tired of seeing 60s muscle cars, 50s cars, hot rods, and junky reissues. I want modern vehicles.

5a2568a87488b_2016TahoeLTZ.jpg.6ffb5ec6658806ee41dc2362c868505e.jpg

5a2568a73eb6c_2015SRTGC.jpg.82c368dcb511d06f2009ddb4a630d26f.jpg

And what I think would actually be a sure fire hit, a chassis cab. In this case, 2018 Ram 5500. Imagine how great that would be to have an actuall proper chassis cab we could build on!

5a25b8a10cba1_2018Ram5500ST.jpg.780da8bbcfdaa308aa048a0b83a92eac.jpg

A couple of other things:

2013+ Dodge Challenger - something with the current interior, especially in Hellcat or Hellcat Widebody form!

Semi trucks build after 1980. Again, vintage trucks are only slightly interesting, and have been done to death. Let's see some more modern era trucks.

Again, I know these wouldn't be the most popular choices, so I wouldn't realistically expect any of these to go into production, but I can dream.

:)

I agree with almost every thing we need more modern trucks and cars.

the old power wagon would be cool to.

Edited by 426 pack

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

These would surely be big sellers too...

Holy smoke!!!

Now there's an exercise in ugly!! :D

Steve

Here are 3 very easy conversions of existing kits that I would love to see.

Moebius 1956 Chrysler 300 into a 1956 Desoto Firflite convertible/ pace car.

image.png.fc2f652b643c52a6059682a0aee6fe7d.png

Revell 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz/ Seville into a 1960 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz/ Seville.

image.thumb.png.f3dd50d6311d50db290e6e17ba22d425.png

AMT 1957 Chrysler 300 into a 1957 Desoto Fireflite.

image.png.83ac1c4b0733b78c18fd6b5bdc6ccc75.png

In my opinion, these are all "no brainers" & I'm surprised that some of them haven't been done already, especially the '60 Cadillac.

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

As the song goes, that was yesterday, and testerday's done.  The car companies still want to promote their stuff to the young, though the emphasis seems to be on video games rather than models.

As far as licensing goes, it's not just about models.  They're also looking at things like this:

16ac3e70-4d3f-4e80-879b-88943c42f514_1.9

I realize licensing extends far beyond models but that is what we're discussing here. And although I don't play & rarely view video games that very thought popped into my head as I was typing my last post! 

7 minutes ago, #1 model citizen said:

I realize licensing extends far beyond models but that is what we're discussing here. And although I don't play & rarely view video games that very thought popped into my head as I was typing my last post! 

The point is that as far as they're concerned, there's a lot more at stake than just models, and in they have to choose between keeping the modelers happy, and jeapordizing the revenues from all their other licensing, guess who loses out?