Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

32 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

What does age have to do with it?

Just some self-deprecating humour is all ;). To quote Richard Hell (poet , musician) : " I was saying 'Let me out of here !' before I was even born ; it's such a gamble when you get a face ... When I dine it's for the wall that I set-a-place ... I belong to the Blank Generation ..." 

The prosaic truth is , I'm a hand-on type --- creativity-wise . I'm a visual artist . I'm lazy , too .

24 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Just some self-deprecating humour is all ;). To quote Richard Hell (poet , musician) : " I was saying 'Let me out of here !' before I was even born ; it's such a gamble when you get a face ... When I dine it's for the wall that I set-a-place ... I belong to the Blank Generation ..." 

The prosaic truth is , I'm a hand-on type --- creativity-wise . I'm a visual artist . I'm lazy , too .

I have a dozen year on you, ya punk kid. ;)

I've been working in digital for nearly 20 years now, though I still like to work things out with pencil and paper.   As far as modeling goes, I like both plastic and pixels.  I do mostly scifi on the computer, but here's something I did some years back of a hypothetical street version of the Auto Union racer.

AutoUnion.jpg

8 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Dunno...whenever I watch the news or close my eyes I see a Ford Econoline cab....

main-ambulace.png.2c5e3ee5aef520cb3ff663bfededc50f.png

Even though the Ford Econoline may be the most popular for ambulance use here in the states, they aren't the only ambulances in service. Anything that can be fleet ordered as a chassis cab can be an ambulance, and here are just a few examples, and many I would like to see offered in kit form. 

Ford Econoline Chassis Cab

Mid-Georgia-Ambulance.jpg.011ec6ea4c6cdc0782b9d93dacbc574c.jpg

Chevy/GMC van Chassis Cab

2017-gmfleet-ambulance-rescue-overview-masthead-960x510.jpg.e75df2ae7b8e630061aef09e6b57ba50.jpg

Ram Truck Chassis Cab

1280_0007949.jpg.7e6a7fd108b8de3a2b73570f61b1fd29.jpg

Ford Super Duty Chassis Cab

60911ff64a274757bfcd8ee0d7cc4a15--ambulance-brand-new.jpg.d182785c7ec717cf8f19e669aa178227.jpg

Chevy/GMC Medium Duty Chassis Cab (I believe the Chevy may still be the Topkick and the GMC the Kodiak)

ambulance.jpg.e8f5c327d1d658cca6e4b1e0a370e7fd.jpg

The International Durastar Medium Duty Chassis Cab

ambulancetypes0.jpg.922f7695bc8f64c458fd3d94d02efc2b.jpg

Freightliner FL Series Business Class Medium Duty Chassis Cab

Braun-Super-Chief-Ambulance-9.jpg.f528df147094c854795ba2c58fdf3937.jpg

I always call these threads "How to Bankrupt a Model Company"  since a lot of our personal choices wouldn't translate out to good sales.

I notice that people try to justify those eclectic  1950s car choices with  "Well, Moebius did  Hudsons!"   The reason Moebius did the string of Hudsons is because their owner, Frank Winspur has a family history with those cars.  His father raced Hudsons.  It's good to be king!

I just found a video of an interview with Frank,  it's on sci-fi topics, but when asked what Moebius best seller of all time was.... the Ford Pickups!     

On 12/7/2017 at 8:03 AM, JeroenM3 said:

Regarding the aston martin DB5, i believe i have seen it somewhere..

Edit: sorry it was a DB2 i had found..

There have been kits of the DB5 by both Airfix and Doyusha in both 007 and standard editions.  As discussed in parts of other threads, the Airfix kit was deemed as the better of the two.  Sadly the Airfix tooling was modified to produce their DB6.  Having both Airifx kits, I can tell you they are typical 60's era - nice detail but a bit fiddly with the opening doors and lids.  Some p/e wire wheels and better tires wouldn't hurt either.

I have never seen the DB5 standard version, but the 007 kits pop up on the 'bay every so often.  My desire for the DB4 is due to the only kit being the old Aurora-based tooling that has enough flaws that a new kit would be quite welcome.

On 8-12-2017 at 2:43 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I always call these threads "How to Bankrupt a Model Company"  since a lot of our personal choices wouldn't translate out to good sales.

I get that, but at the same time that cant be it... for example Aoshima makes a kit for the Huayra, but not the Zonda. Eventhough every1 i personally know or speak to via the internet says they like the model of the Zonda alot better than the Huayra. So then i wonder wha tmade them make a kit of the Huayra but not the Zonda. 

Regarding the old American cars, yes i fully understand but thats just cause i look from my age (24) and those cars just do not interest me, or people i personally know either really (some exceptions ofcorse lika e GT40), we are the growing generation now slowly and we want different things i gues... There is such a thing as TOO OLD! No this is not a hate comment, just realistic in my opinion

55 minutes ago, JeroenM3 said:

Regarding the old American cars, yes i fully understand but thats just cause i look from my age (24) and those cars just do not interest me, or people i personally know either really (some exceptions ofcorse lika e GT40), we are the growing generation now slowly and we want different things i gues... There is such a thing as TOO OLD! No this is not a hate comment, just realistic in my opinion

Yes. but most people your age are more into the net and their phones than building models. Your generation doesn't buy a lot of kits. We Auld Pharts, on the other hand, have nostalgia, skill, and the money to spend on them. It's the same in Model Airplane World, where World War II is still by far the most popular subject matter. These are the airplanes we kids fell in love with in the '50s and '60s, and we still want to build them. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Yes. but most people your age are more into the net and their phones than building models. Your generation doesn't buy a lot of kits. We Auld Pharts, on the other hand, have nostalgia, skill, and the money to spend on them. It's the same in Model Airplane World, where World War II is still by far the most popular subject matter. These are the airplanes we kids fell in love with in the '50s and '60s, and we still want to build them. 

Correct.

Think of it this way.

The U.S. is blanketed with car shows from coast to coast every summer, all summer, every year.

the majority of those shows are filled with automobiles from the 20s to the early 70s.

There is still a lot of interest in these "TOO OLD" automobiles.

Television channels like Velocity make a living off of shows about these cars.

Barrett Jackson & Mecum auctions are big television draws as well.

Most of the younger generation that I personally know. have very little interest in automobiles in general.

They see it as a tool to get you from point A to point B.

We saw our cars as family members, never to be forgotten.

Steve

On 12/8/2017 at 7:43 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I notice that people try to justify those eclectic  1950s car choices with  "Well, Moebius did  Hudsons!"   The reason Moebius did the string of Hudsons is because their owner, Frank Winspur has a family history with those cars.  His father raced Hudsons.  It's good to be king!

I just found a video of an interview with Frank,  it's on sci-fi topics, but when asked what Moebius best seller of all time was.... the Ford Pickups!     

Good interview. I now want Moebuis' 2001 Discovery kit. 

25 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Correct.

Think of it this way.

The U.S. is blanketed with car shows from coast to coast every summer, all summer, every year.

the majority of those shows are filled with automobiles from the 20s to the early 70s.

There is still a lot of interest in these "TOO OLD" automobiles.

Television channels like Velocity make a living off of shows about these cars.

Barrett Jackson & Mecum auctions are big television draws as well.

Most of the younger generation that I personally know. have very little interest in automobiles in general.

They see it as a tool to get you from point A to point B.

We saw our cars as family members, never to be forgotten.

Steve

I'm constantly surprised that some of the kids I work with ( "kids" , because I'm 20+ years their senior ) have more-than-a-passing-interest about the vehicles which we -- us "Auld" Timers -- grew up around . I enjoy bustin' the chops of the twenty-somethings and their passion about Honda , Nissan , etc.  ------ but , they know that I'm just shaking-up their sensibilities ; good , old fashioned ribbing . 

You certainly have a point ; and , to build-upon that point : the vehicles which the young(er) generations grew up with are generic , unstyllish , bland "Point-A -to- Point-B tools" . I can understand their apathy when it comes to vehicles . I mean , how can one compare the Brass Era , the Chrome Era , the classic Hot Rods , traditional Lowriders , Muscle Cars , and even the "lowly" daily drivers of yesteryear to the uninspired grist that's been around since the 80's ? 

Thankfully , there are enough young(er) gear heads who embrace the vehicles of the bygone eras . If only they'd put their phones down and stop playing Intellivision (or what-ever the newest "gaming system" is around) , then they could come to fully-appreciate the thunderous sounds of unfettered exhaust .

13 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

You certainly have a point ; and , to build-upon that point : the vehicles which the young(er) generations grew up with are generic , unstyllish , bland "Point-A -to- Point-B tools" . I can understand their apathy when it comes to vehicles . I mean , how can one compare the Brass Era , the Chrome Era , the classic Hot Rods , traditional Lowriders , Muscle Cars , and even the "lowly" daily drivers of yesteryear to the uninspired grist that's been around since the 80's ?

I lay a lot of the apathy since that time at the feet of the automakers, and more so our government. Not to turn this into a political thread, but you have to admit that one of the reasons we got the kind of cars we got was the ever encroaching nonsense of "political correctness". Oh, let's not make them too offensive,..........Oh, lets not make them too fast,.........Oh, let's base everything on boring FWD with bad proportions so we can save money, after all the public needs a car, so they'll buy anything!

I'm being a bit simplistic I'm sure, but throw in the insurance companies, OPEC, designers no longer being taught what "good" design is, and it's no wonder we've had some of the monstrosities foisted on us since that time!

And yes, I'm a bit biased when it comes to certain kinds of cars. Sure there's a place for what I would consider nothing more than "appliances", but what happened to the distinctive features that told you what kind of car was coming at you, are leaving you in the rear view mirror? Must all of the cars have the same windshield rake, the same C pillar "kickup", the same rounded off rear fenders with no such thing as some sharp lines and cuts??

I don't buy the BS about aerodynamics............if that were such a big factor, trucks and SUV's would have been off the road long ago and they're the least aerodynamic things running the roads and there's a lot of 'em. I'm not a big fan of those either.............way too vision blocking when you're behind 'em, and everyone and their brother just "has" to have one.

Yeah I'm very BIASED! :P

I'm thinking about composing a thread starter possibly titled "The '20's". Not the 1920's, but the soon to be here 2020's. What I think the trends will be vehicle wise (not what you might think), and why I feel the way I do.

We'll see......................

image.png.964247d323cf5768c03d5293c2254550.png

Lincoln Continental Mark III! I learned to drive in one these (my Stepdad owned one)! What a really neat car, and FAST!! I'd love to see a model of this!

5a2c2f7e8aebe_serveimage(2).jpg.5a451a8846d6869aa67ab25773a66f1b.jpg

Another one I'm not holding my breath for with each passing year. :( Looks like I'll just end up making my own using the '75 Ford Torino as a starting point. A lot of work for sure, but doable!

On 12/7/2017 at 9:32 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

What does age have to do with it?

Yeah, I'm 47 and have been around computers and technology since the early 80s.  I could understand if someone was 70..  My generation (Gen X) generally got into computers at a pretty young age...not as young as Millenials, though. 

Edited by Rob Hall

6 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

image.png.964247d323cf5768c03d5293c2254550.png

Lincoln Continental Mark III! I learned to drive in one these (my Stepdad owned one)! What a really neat car, and FAST!! I'd love to see a model of this!

5a2c2f7e8aebe_serveimage(2).jpg.5a451a8846d6869aa67ab25773a66f1b.jpg

Another one I'm not holding my breath for with each passing year. :( Looks like I'll just end up making my own using the '75 Ford Torino as a starting point. A lot of work for sure, but doable!

I too would love the two above offered as kits. Two great looking cars. 

This thought just came to mind...........during the "downsize" mania of the late '70's I have to say that Ford with the T-Bird I posted above, did the best job in making a nice car even nicer! While the previous 'Bird was not a bad car, IMO it had gotten too big and bloated with front and rear overhangs that had their own zip codes. By comparison, GM with their downsized 1978 midsizers were so bland and boring IMO, I considered them a big letdown compared to the gorgeous '73-'77 "Colonnade" cars.

Myself and buddies of mine in high school when this car came out in late '76 as a '77 were STUNNED by the way this car looked! Everyone else must have thought so to as the mostly unchanged '78 T-Bird was the best selling one ever for Ford........something the car was never able to achieve in model years after that AFAIK.

9 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, I'm 47 and have been around computers and technology since high school.  I could understand if someone was 70..

Rob it is all about seat time.  When I was in high school they told us it was a waste of time for us to get computers in school. They figured it would be money well spent to start teaching the younger kids and bring them up with it in school. PS I have 4 years on you.  

My old neighbor took a CAD class because he wanted to at 75 a lifelong fidler  and a pretty smart guy. 

As far as What I would like to see a good early Falcon kit.