Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

22 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

image.png.863164cffed489d9d6a964eac28aac49.png

Steve, is that what the Volare/Aspen morphed in?...anyway looks like the designers put in the headlamp/parking-light housing upside down, Ford did it better with their Crown Vic's, boxy..yet still stylish...

;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

48 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

There's probably a very good reason why you never see any of these on the road.

Nobody wants them! ;)

Personally, it will not hurt my feelings when all of these late 70s & 80s cars have all been crushed & are long gone.

Sure, they're part of our country's history, but not a very good part in my opinion.

My mother had one of these in '79.

I took my drivers test in it.

Couldn't wait to get home & get behind the wheel of my rusted out '68 Buick Skylark! :P

Steve

image.png.863164cffed489d9d6a964eac28aac49.png

Is that what Chevy Chase drove in Nat Lamp Vacation

3 hours ago, 426 pack said:

He drove this it's the family truckster it's baced of a 1979 ford ltd contry squire and biult by George Barris.

image.jpg

It's pretty funny how they really didn't have to go too far with the modifications on this abortion to complete the joke.

The car was a joke to start with in my opinion!

Here is a perfect example of late '70s & early 80s styling.

Steve

To add to the fray about the Family Truckster ; it was "sold" through a Dodge dealership ! In the movie , the Truckster is shown on the lot of Glendale Dodge (the same dealer where Bill Hickman bought the two 1968 Chargers used in Bullitt ) . So , in spite of the Truckster being a Ford , it bore a strong resemblance to the Dodge / Plymouth M-bodies of the same era .

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I lay a lot of the apathy since that time at the feet of the automakers, and more so our government. Not to turn this into a political thread, but you have to admit that one of the reasons we got the kind of cars we got was the ever encroaching nonsense of "political correctness". Oh, let's not make them too offensive,..........Oh, lets not make them too fast,.........Oh, let's base everything on boring FWD with bad proportions so we can save money, after all the public needs a car, so they'll buy anything!

I'm being a bit simplistic I'm sure, but throw in the insurance companies, OPEC, designers no longer being taught what "good" design is, and it's no wonder we've had some of the monstrosities foisted on us since that time!

And yes, I'm a bit biased when it comes to certain kinds of cars. Sure there's a place for what I would consider nothing more than "appliances", but what happened to the distinctive features that told you what kind of car was coming at you, are leaving you in the rear view mirror? Must all of the cars have the same windshield rake, the same C pillar "kickup", the same rounded off rear fenders with no such thing as some sharp lines and cuts??

I don't buy the BS about aerodynamics............if that were such a big factor, trucks and SUV's would have been off the road long ago and they're the least aerodynamic things running the roads and there's a lot of 'em. I'm not a big fan of those either.............way too vision blocking when you're behind 'em, and everyone and their brother just "has" to have one.

Yeah I'm very BIASED! :P

I'm thinking about composing a thread starter possibly titled "The '20's". Not the 1920's, but the soon to be here 2020's. What I think the trends will be vehicle wise (not what you might think), and why I feel the way I do.

We'll see......................

I blame the busy bodies who decided what kind of vehicles we should be driving & somehow convinced congress to legislate these vehicles into being by using CAFE standards as the measure.I once knew a guy who thought no car needed to go faster than 84 mph. & believed this should be a law. I argued that if that was what he wanted in a car, fine, but if I wanted a 200 mph car I have the right to own one. No one has the right to tell me what I must drive.

As for the looks, dimensions, etc., all  the cars are pretty much computer designed based on meeting the CAFE. The manufacturers tell the computers what is required & the computers all spit out the same uninspired designs.

Trucks & SUVs had become increasingly popular as the public rejected the undersized & light (read unsafe in a collision) autos. (Trucks have much more lenient restrictions.) I personally moved from full size cars mostly of the '60s into a little Aries wagon. While not a bad car, it wasn't long before I moved to MoPar minivans. Although at one time considered a soccer mom car, this vehicle is quite versatile & everything I always wanted a wagon to be. I can haul plywood in it and keep it dry.(not to mention lots of models ;):D) Try that in a modern crew cab  pickup. The bed is much too short to be a real hauler, not to mention the sides of bed are so tall its nearly impossible for most of us to reach over. (I met a farmer who has a resto-mod '56 Chevy pickup he uses as a daily driver; his 2002 pickup was too tall to be a practical work vehicle.) Nowadays as you say everyone "has" to have one no matter how bloated & unpractical they have become.

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah Tulio, the box art would at least have to specify that it is a Brazilian model.

To the rest of us, that's a '66. ;)

Steve

Yes, I get that A LOT!!! Every single tourist from overseas thinks my Galaxie is a '66. There are some differences, but not many. Now on a '67, there are no differences, other than available engine. The good part is: It's cheap to restore a '66 Galaxies here, as the parts interchange. 

I even did a video to specify it's a '74. 

2 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Yes, I get that A LOT!!! Every single tourist from overseas thinks my Galaxie is a '66. There are some differences, but not many. Now on a '67, there are no differences, other than available engine. The good part is: It's cheap to restore a '66 Galaxies here, as the parts interchange. 

I even did a video to specify it's a '74. 

Yup, I've looked @ pics of your Galaxie before & it's pretty cool.

But just like if it was a Canadian or Australian kit, the box art would need to specify that.

In the end, that would be the best anyway.

There were a lot of really cool American cars produced in other countries that a lot of us would love to see.

I'll take a dozen of this Canadian car! :D

Steve

image.png.0c15f7db12f67d294003a22907499034.png