Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

All I can say is WHAA???

You're kidding right? 

Hey, everyone has their own ideas on what's beautiful, and you have to admit, they would certainly attract attention at your local model show.

But yes, if we're going to toss out some oddball choices, how about some reasonably attractive ones?

ee43a33c456c7f051722d10244adfc49.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

0005-MC16_r129_005.jpg

• Like 1

If we're compiling a list of 50s cars to model (or any other subject), We should collectively gather a list of top 10 most popular choices,  and post that for the model companies to see. That would give them a realistic goal - rather than us wildly throwing darts at our individual favorites and hoping they pick the right target.

Here's my top 10 list of 50s cars, including optional versions to increase potential sales.

1. 56 Lincoln Continental Mark II. With optional Kustom parts. Check out Richard Zocchi's chopped, yellow custom online for example.

2. 56 Cadillac Eldorado or Deville 2 door. With optional hardtop or convertible and more 50s Kustom parts.

3. Jaguar XK150. Why this beauty hasn't been a popular 1/25 kit by now is beyond me.

4. 57 Ferrari Testa Rossa. Ditto for this classic.

5. 55-57 Pontiac Safari wagon. Pontiac's version of the classic Nomad. How about an optional jacked up highboy version with 60s lace panels and sponsor decals. Think of Revell's 57 Ford wagon as an example. A hardtop would be cool too!

6. 51 Ford Victoria. I remember a sectioned Barris   custom of one of these,  looked soooo sleek. Stock looks good too!

7. 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk. With supercharger - Nuff said.

8. 57. Ford pick up. With fleetside and stepside options. A companion to the AMT Cameo and overdone 53-55 Ford p/u.

9. 56. Olds Fiesta or Rocket 88. So good a song was written about it.  Another base for a classic custom.

10. Packard Caribbean. Any version would be a classic. It would be a sacrilege to put a custom version in this kit. How about a pick up option? Or an RV back-halved to it? Just kidding, but I did really see that done to one once! Poor thing. 

Honorable Mention:
51 Mercury coupe - Why hasn't this itch been scratched yet?

Yes, I know I've favored cars with custom options. While I like customs, I prefer these cars stock. I suggested options to make them exciting to more buyers. Thus, more sales and higher probability to be produced - get it?!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Hasegawa already has a Testa Rossa kit that by all accounts is very nice, and Revell Germany did an XK-120, which is much nicer than an XK-150, but I could get behind that list.

I might add the following to the list:

1956 Lincoln Premiere

1956 Buick

1955-6 Kaiser Manhattan

They'e all been done as customs, and they all appear fairly regularly on these lists.

They've also been done as large scale diecasts, so clearly there's enough demand to justify cutting a set of moulds.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Hasegawa already has a Testa Rossa kit that by all accounts is very nice, and Revell Germany did an XK-120, which is much nicer than an XK-150, but I could get behind that list.

I might add the following to the list:

1956 Lincoln Premiere

1956 Buick

1955-6 Kaiser Manhattan

They'e all been done as customs, and they all appear fairly regularly on these lists.

They've also been done as large scale diecasts, so clearly there's enough demand to justify cutting a set of moulds.

While Hasegawa may have put out a good Ferrari Testa Rossa kit, its priced well above $120+ dollars, I certainly can't afford that version. But that brings me to another question: Why is it Japanese kits can't be more competitive with other markets when it comes to pricing and presentation? 

I know that people will say that their prices are high due to import costs, I say I could agree up to a reasonable point. But at 3 or 4 times the cost of their competition, it seems to me maybe they could put a little less Hi-Tech and just do a straight forward all plastic kit at a competitive price and sell to more builders and less connoisseurs. If Toyota and Honda priced their cars that high above their competition,  they'd have a real tough time selling them to average consumers - no matter how good they are.

On the other end of the spectrum,  when Japanese kits are priced cheaper,  they only come with basic details - no engine,  platform chassis, out of scale steering, shallow interior and toy like appearance. 

I'd like to build that Ferrari, but at that price, it might as well still be on my dream list.

• 3 weeks later...
On February 21, 2018 at 9:25 PM, The Junkman said:

Any Ferrari with Lusso or GTB in the title. 

Found your comment from a search.  I've been waiting for a Hiro Lusso kit, might be getting it this month.  I have a Italari 275 GTB (& GTS), and a Fujimi Daytona GTB, so I'm set for life.
Meanwhile, I'll tease you with this:

6866875334_9be6e948ef_k.jpg

Since I really like modern Mopars, I'd love to see kits of the new generation 2018 JL Wrangler, 2019 Ram pickup, the Dodge Challenger Hellcat, Hellcat wide body, and Demon, a WK2 Grand Cherokee (Summit, Trackhawk or Trailhawk versions would be neat),  the current Charger R/T and Hellcat, current 300C.  

My wish list: Larger scale but 1/24 1/25 ok.

39 Ford coupe

41 Ford 4 door

51 Mercury 4 door

2013 KIA Optima (I had one 1:1).

Early Bug Eyed Sprite

Porsche 356A (Another car I had, 1:1) and a Porsche Spyder and 356A with a Spyder engine.

Matchless Motorcycle, don't know what year but I had one way back in 1950.

Corvair coupe and wagon (think that was what they were called).

Auburn Speedster or sedan with Roots blower sticking out the front end

How about a Horst (a real German car).

Robert

Edited by Ro3bert

3 hours ago, Ro3bert said:

My wish list: Larger scale but 1/24 1/25 ok.

39 Ford coupe

41 Ford 4 door

51 Mercury 4 door

2013 KIA Optima (I had one 1:1).

Early Bug Eyed Sprite

Porsche 356A (Another car I had, 1:1) and a Porsche Spyder and 356A with a Spyder engine.

Matchless Motorcycle, don't know what year but I had one way back in 1950.

Corvair coupe and wagon (think that was what they were called).

Auburn Speedster or sedan with Roots blower sticking out the front end

How about a Horst (a real German car).

Robert

Robert, of those you listed a number of them are out there in either resin or plastic.

Porsche 356A (Fujimi made this I believe in their EM series)
Corvair Wagon (I've seen resin version available through Time Machine resin on eBay)
1939 Ford (Can be done with the various '40 Ford coupe kits done over the years in plastic)

The others I'm not sure about, but the Corvair coupe can be had (you don't mention what year but I assume first gen). I've seen those in resin (I have one for a future project), or a decent restorable built up can be had at either shows or eBay.

14 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Robert, of those you listed a number of them are out there in either resin or plastic.

Porsche 356A (Fujimi made this I believe in their EM series)
Corvair Wagon (I've seen resin version available through Time Machine resin on eBay)
1939 Ford (Can be done with the various '40 Ford coupe kits done over the years in plastic)

The others I'm not sure about, but the Corvair coupe can be had (you don't mention what year but I assume first gen). I've seen those in resin (I have one for a future project), or a decent restorable built up can be had at either shows or eBay.

Bill, Is the Corvair wagon decent? Or is it the slush cast mess like my van started out as?

14 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

Bill, Is the Corvair wagon decent? Or is it the slush cast mess like my van started out as?

The Corvair coupe I have (a ‘64) is resin cast from Time Machine Resins on eBay. He does have good castings and while not Modelhaus quality as far as chromed parts and such, his castings are pinhole and flash free. Not slush cast in the least! ?

More then likely you’ll need a donor kit (the ‘69) for tires and such, but it looks like it should, and I’ve got several kits from him that have been very good. He posts items roughly once a week, so you’ll need to do a search for him, and save him as a fave seller. You’ll get a notice when he puts up something new.

Last I’ve seen of the Corvair wagon was a couple weeks ago, but I wasn’t watching it so I don’t know if it sold or not. He does seem to put one up whenever he has a round of resin kits to sell. His auctions end quickly though (five days), so you’ll have to look and act fast! ?

OK David, I found an expired auction which had the Corvair wagon, but it's not sold by the same seller. If you click here, it'll take you to it. This seller is also quite good as I've gotten parts from them (a '67 Dodge Dart conversion set), and the quality is also top notch.

I have to wonder if they got the master for the Corvair from Time Machine as it looks for all the world just like his. It's interesting too that when I did a search for the kit on Time Machine's eBay page, it was nowhere to be found as far as ended auctions, but I know I saw it on there as I thought about buying it before I bought the coupe several months ago.

Hope this helps!