Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

I think after reading here about Johan for the last few (6/7) years, that all Johan tooling, and Lic are semi-officially dead. No One will come out and say it yet, (Esp. Okey Spaulding) but Johan, it's kit's and it's tooling are gone. The Tooling was some form of Copper Alloy, and had great scrap value, and rumor was many years ago, that the tooling fit only Johan injection molding machines and was too (Small, Wide, Specialized, or Just Didn't Fit) any other machines. Once the company stopped doing their own injection molding that was the end. Not Sure how accurate any of this info is, since Johan is the "White Whale" of model companies. 

I figure that Johan is Gone. Tooling Is Gone. Any Agreements with Defunct Car Makers are Gone. You want Johan kits. Pony Up for eBay Prices, Resin Copies, or do without. Very Sad. Very Expensive.   But, I believe, that absent any other evidence, this is now the true state of Johan.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Absolutely ! All-new tooling at that -- none of that long in the tooth poodle poop from the 1972 C-10, either. 

Likewise, a series of 1973-1979 C/K's with ad infinitum variations (think: Moebius' F-Series) .

Yeah, either generation of GM pickups have lots of possibilities for new tooling and variations. Would love to see them.  ‘61-71 Dodges would be nice also.  

23 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Would love to see Round 2 do a release of the MPC 68 Coronet kit.  It's been a requested kit for years.  Round 2 , please dig into your vaults.

MPC 68 Coronet kit.jpg

The requests for the resurrection of this kit have taken on a life of their own (disproportionate to the popularity of the 1:1, if we're being honest) ever since RC2 mistakenly announced its reissue lo those many years ago.

That being said, Round 2 definitely seems ready and willing to play an angle like this.  How many years did we all view and discuss those old AMT/Ertl pictures of the  "hanger shot" of the '64 Cutlass convertible?  While Round 2 decided to retool both the hardtop and convertible bodies, they led with the announcement of the convertible, since that was the true fulfillment of all those years of discussions.

Same for the stillborn GarWood garbage truck.  So at this point, there may be so much built up hype for the '68 Coronet that I could see them actually following through on it.  You can't buy 15+ years (?) of publicity like that...

The 1968 Coronet became the 1969, then, finally, the 1970 (first reissed in c.1990 , but with the then-newly tooled 1968 Road Runner's chassis, suspension, engine, engine compartments, etc., with the original body , glass, bonnet, and interior). 

The only way to fly, IMO, is an all-new tooling. And, IIRC, that is what was exhibited some 17 years ago during the end of the RC2 era ownership of AMT et al., and it never saw the light of day.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:15 PM, tim boyd said:

OK....since we are dreaming....

Newly tooled off patterned off original annual kits (like the '63 Nova wagon and the IH Cabover)

* MPC 1968 Coronet R/T HT and Convertible

* MPC 1971 Impala HT 

* MPC (nee AMT) 1928 Model T (if indeed crucial parts of the original tooling cannot be found)  

* MPC 1972 Dodge D100 Adventurer SE

* AMT 1967 Galaxie 500 XL HT and Convertible

* MPC 1970/71 Cyclone Spoiler and GT

* AMT 1969 Gas Ronda Long-Nose Mustang funny car 

All new tooling/new subjects:  for all, full stand-alone engine and powertrain detail, partial or omitted engine componentry unacceptable!!!! 

* 1962-1964 Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso 

* 2020- present Ferrari Roma Coupe 

* 2021-present Ford F-150 Raptor and upcoming Raptor R

* 2021-present Ford Bronco 2dr, 4dr, and upcoming Raptor

* 2018-2022 Ford Mustang GT, GT350, Bulllit, Mach 1, GT500 in HT (and where applicable) convertible versions

* 2021-present Corvette Coupe and Convertible 

* 1970/71 Cyclone (off Revell Torino tool, if Round 2 does not do as above)

* 1970/71 Ranchero GT and Squire (off Revell Torino Tool) 

* 1968-1972 GTO series, HT and Convertible, including 1970 Judge and the first-ever correct 1/25th scale RA-IV engine componentry 

* 1970 1/2-1973 Firebird 400/455 Formula and Trans-AM, including 1971 455 HO and 1973 SuperDuty 

* 2022 Ford F150 Lightning

* 2023 Chevy Electric Silverado 

* 1968-1972 Javelin and Javelin AMX (with correct 390/400 engine)

* Generic (but all new tooled) 1966-1970 front engine rail with licensing from top drivers of the period 

Modified reissues:

* MPC Dyno Don and Gapp&Roush Pro Stock Pintos ({by far, the most authentic in MPC's Pro Stock kit series)  

* AMT-Ertl 1971 Charger Rod Shop Stocker 

* MPC Charger III

* Moebius/Model King 1965 Super Stock Belvedere as campaigned by Butch Leal from 1972-74 

* AMT Nitro-Charger funny car

* Current top fuel rail dragsters (based off Revell's early 1990's tooling which could be adapted to current rail dragster format/technology) 

* Polar Lights 1969 Camaro Dickie Harrell Logghe funny car (project was under consideration during original Polar Lights ownership)  

Several others I've already mentioned to Round 2 and should probably not mention here. 

TB

PS- there are at least 2-3 others I would mention here, except they are already under development (but not yet announced) by the modeling companies...

Tim, wouldn't that MPC/AMT '28 be a Model A, instead of a Model T? I would settle for the three venturi Weber carbed Corvair. They really came alive with those Porsche goodies, and I'd really have to agree wholeheartedly with you about the Pro Stock (or any of the small bumper sedans) Pinto kits but PLEASE use the MPC '74 sedan and toss in the small bumpers and valances so we could build our choice of years. That '74 version is the only sedan offering that has the optional deluxe trim package with side moldings an chrome trim. Now if only some intelligent person would produce some of the A-50, and D-50 BF Goodrich Comp T/A's in 13" sizes . Like I saw in an earlier post, a fella can dream can't he? It would really be great if the Round2 group would dig out their flat bottom and hydro molds so we would be able to afford some decent performance type boats without getting bent over the railing.

Edited by horsepower
Oopsies

On 1/7/2022 at 1:23 PM, s.p.e.c.t.r.e. said:

Hi,

First Post ,

but not new to the hobby, just quiet about it.

Spent a few years building full size rods/bikes in the southeast.

Here's my must buy list. Mostly stuff that has not been reissued to the best of my knowledge . 

Lots of MPC (hey Round 2, how bout some of these, instead  of the unwanted Ricksaw )

charger_iii_big.jpg

cosma_ray_big.jpg

good_guys_big.jpg

magnum_GTII_big.jpg

mailtruck_big.jpg

mission_big.jpg

P8060965-vi.jpg

paddy_wagon_casper_big.jpg

R2IGMPCBedBuggy.jpg.969d099a0f6c2f4ee406eca0c355b4dd.jpg

stagefrigt.jpg

superteen_firebird_big.jpg

thecat.jpg

thunder_charger_big.jpg

uncertaint_big.jpg

I like your suggestions AND I'll take a Ricksha.

First wish list of 2022.

Hey Moebius, you're good at this. How about a '68 - '70 AMC Javelin with the Go Package? Maybe toss in after-market headers and a pair of cheater slicks? I think there's enough of us that would love a Javelin.

There might be a desire for a '65 (okay, or '68) Barracuda with the Formula S package. Again, toss in after-market headers and a pair of cheater slicks.

If the tool still exists, howzabout a re-issue of the MPC 1933 Chevy Panel truck?   

As always, I want a 1965ish FED with a 392 Hemi. But that's me.

So many wishes, so many disappointments.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 8:35 PM, alexis said:

...No One will come out and say it yet, (Esp. Okey Spaulding) but Johan, it's kit's and it's tooling are gone. .....

OK, I am not on f...book, but I went to check out the next model show here in Detroit, from DAAM, and found this....not sure it is real or not, I don't believe everything I see on intardnets, but what is this about?

IMG_9623.PNG

59 minutes ago, steveracer said:

OK, I am not on f...book, but I went to check out the next model show here in Detroit, from DAAM, and found this....not sure it is real or not, I don't believe everything I see on intardnets, but what is this about?

IMG_9623.PNG

Likely his usual table of odds and ends with a handful of promos and such. If Spaulding were actually capable of producing a full kit of any sort - even along the lines of the crude "X-EL" line of unassembled promos - then it would be significantly better promoted unless the man is truly and fully incompetent. 

5 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Likely his usual table of odds and ends with a handful of promos and such. If Spaulding were actually capable of producing a full kit of any sort - even along the lines of the crude "X-EL" line of unassembled promos - then it would be significantly better promoted unless the man is truly and fully incompetent. 

Justin, I don't know the person...at all.  But I love the quality of the bodies on old JoHan kits and look for them as build subjects or parts....

3 minutes ago, steveracer said:

Justin, I don't know the person...at all.  But I love the quality of the bodies on old JoHan kits and look for them as build subjects or parts....

Taken from the Jo-Han Models Wikipedia to explain in as unbiased a fashion as possible.

"In 2000, Jo-Han was purchased from the ailing Seville by Mr. Okey Spaulding, a resin parts producer from Covington, Kentucky. A new company, JoHan Models LLC (without the traditional hyphen) was formed. Through about 2005, Spaulding produced a few of the original models in limited quantities, including the 1956 Plymouth, 1959 Rambler station wagon, some 1950s Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs."

2 hours ago, steveracer said:

Most of the models that you like from Jo Han probably do not exist anymore at all. Spaulding mostly has very early stuff and lots of incomplete stuff. 

Some may have survived, like the Cuda and some AMC stuff that Testors cranked out in the 90's, but no one really knows where those went, other than to China

resin casters have already done a conversion kit with this, but...

I'd love to see a new tool of a Jeep Wagoneer. If done by Moebius or a company like that, they could utilize a sort of modular design to cover all or at least a few different year ranges. As far as the body shell goes, this would really only be necessary for '84-91 models, when they switched from the wraparound taillights that they had from the beginning to the taller style borrowed from Cherokees that had them since 1974. In real life, even until 1991, all Wagoneers used the original 1963 rhino grill front panel as a rad support with a full-width grill covering it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Revell's Jeep J10 Honcho a lot and am glad to have it. But, the proportions of the frontend are a bit cartoonish.

• Like 1