Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

RE: 1972 Road Runner
While I, too, would love to see Round2 release the 1971/1972 Road Runner, I also realise that it would be best be done via the Nova Wagon, Grumpy's Toy, 1968 Coronet, etc., etc. manner.
The 1973/1974 Road Runner has a different interior (dashboard is the same in-scale) and, obviously, different front and rear 'clips' (likely tooling inserts). 

The 1973/1974 Road Runner tooling is long in the tooth. The copy of the recent reissue I'd recently purchased exhibits the age of the tooling: asymmetrical body ('core shift' - body is off side-to-side); more flash than an old pervert wearing a trench coat; and diminished details.

A scan-upgrade approach would be best: cleaner body marques; improved interior (maybe the standard door cards); better engine; correct engine compartment; Dana 60 and 8 3/4 diff assemblies; separate exhaust, and so forth --- just like the upcoming 1968 Coronet.
Release the 1971 first, then the 1972 -- heck, maybe include both years' parts in one kit.

Another thing to take into consideration before claiming any given company WON'T produce something is that they're all working on projects 18-24 months out at any given time. We publicly only know about things on a 3 month (Japan/Asia - albeit Beemax/NuNu is so far behind we know years worth of projects at this point) to 9-12 month (Revell/Round2/Moebius/SJR) advanced basis. 

Tim and others can verify sometimes projects take years to come to fruition, and if you don't *know*, then you'll never know what's coming much beyond the public reveals. Round2 could in fact decide the 71/72 Road Runner was a worthy factory stock subject, but they've already had some of the current slate of new tooling/retooling under development since 2021 and it's the current priority.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Another thing to take into consideration before claiming any given company WON'T produce something is that they're all working on projects 18-24 months out at any given time. We publicly only know about things on a 3 month (Japan/Asia - albeit Beemax/NuNu is so far behind we know years worth of projects at this point) to 9-12 month (Revell/Round2/Moebius/SJR) advanced basis. 

Tim and others can verify sometimes projects take years to come to fruition, and if you don't *know*, then you'll never know what's coming much beyond the public reveals. Round2 could in fact decide the 71/72 Road Runner was a worthy factory stock subject, but they've already had some of the current slate of new tooling/retooling under development since 2021 and it's the current priority.

Obviously I can only directly speak for myself, but if you comb through this forum you get the sense that many people have been clamoring for this kit for a lot longer than the three year lead up period and I’ve been asking them (Round 2) even longer than that; not that I ever expected them to make their decision based on my request and the requests of others. Tone deaf companies generally don’t do that. 

I don’t know. Given the desire of their clientele, it seems like releasing this kit would be a no-brainer. If they are not going release it though, why would they bother releasing the 74 Road Runner for the thousandth time and that oddball 1980 Volare Road Runner that came out of nowhere. Just doesn’t add up. The only reason why they wouldn’t is because they really don’t want to.

26 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

Obviously I can only directly speak for myself, but if you comb through this forum you get the sense that many people have been clamoring for this kit for a lot longer than the three year lead up period and I’ve been asking them (Round 2) even longer than that; not that I ever expected them to make their decision based on my request and the requests of others. Tone deaf companies generally don’t do that. 

I don’t know. Given the desire of their clientele, it seems like releasing this kit would be a no-brainer. If they are not going release it though, why would they bother releasing the 74 Road Runner for the thousandth time and that oddball 1980 Volare Road Runner that came out of nowhere. Just doesn’t add up. The only reason why they wouldn’t is because they really don’t want to.

If they're so tone deaf, why are they bringing back the '68 Coronet?....don't tell me nobody was clamoring for that one.

Before the Coronet was announced I'm sure somebody was out there banging their head against the wall because Round2 wasn't reissuing their beloved '68 Coronet. 

If they do bring a '71/'72 Road Runner back someone else will take you place because they've been bugging Round2 for years for some other oldie.....because, of course they've consulted with their buddies, looked at the message boards, ebay etc. and they all know Round2 will be rolling in dough if they would just listen.

Round2 knows their market better than any of us do (btw-they sell alot of kits to people who don't know this site exists).  There are guys out there still buying '69 Chargers, '67 GTO's etc.    

Sure, a '72 RR would be a cool kit to see on the shelves again, and if it doesn't happen,  I'm sure they'll have their reasons, not "because they really don't want to".       

1 hour ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I bought the Volare, on purpose. :D

I did too! Guilty as charged. That kit was so goofy I just had to buy it! Plus I like that style of Volare.  

I have to give Round 2 credit where credit is due; that was a pretty cool kit.  I just remember seeing it released and thinking, “Where the hell did that come from?!”

Edited by drksd4848

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I bought the Volare, on purpose. :D

I have an original 1980 annual (moulded in black), as well as the reissue (and a 1977 annual). They're a good source for a 318-340-360/ T-Flite combo, plus engine compartment items for the MPC 1971-1976 A-bodies; and a cool subject matter unto themselves.

2 hours ago, sfhess said:

No sign of any obsession here...

image.png.21f136fc4ddbf49c6fc82d1862e1c295.png

What can I say? I’m committed to the cause.  My username checks out.

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I have an original 1980 annual (moulded in black), as well as the reissue (and a 1977 annual). They're a good source for a 318-340-360/ T-Flite combo, plus engine compartment items for the MPC 1971-1976 A-bodies; and a cool subject matter unto themselves.

So there actually was a 1980 Volare annual?  I know there’s that 1977 Volare I’ve seen here and there, and the 1976 Road  Runner model was actually the 1975 Road Runner.  But for the life of me, I could never find the 1980, hence why I was taken aback when I saw Round2 to release the Fuzz Duster. I didn’t think a 1980 annual existed.

BTW, in this case it’s also the only time someone confused a Duster with a Road Runner! (There was also a duster package for the Volare if I’m not mistaken.)

Edited by drksd4848
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

What can I say? I’m committed to the cause.  My username checks out.

So there actually was a 1980 Volare annual?  I know there’s that 1977 Volare I’ve seen here and there, and the 1976 Road  Runner model was actually the 1975 Road Runner.  But for the life of me, I could never find the 1980, hence why I was taken aback when I saw Round2 to release the Fuzz Duster. I didn’t think a 1980 annual existed.

BTW, in this case it’s also the only time someone confused a Duster with a Road Runner! (There was also a duster package for the Volare if I’m not mistaken.)

RE: 1980 Annual:
Yes, they were annuals. By c.1979 or so, MPC wrapped the boxes with a clear 'band' which proclaimed "NEW FOR '80!" (for example). Oftentimes, only the customised version of the kit was featured on the box art; sometimes the stock version was featured in the background (c.1978); other times, the stock parts garnered a text-only mention of their presence.

The Duster name was indeed "reimagined" for '77 or '78 as a trim level for the Volaré, with the same 1972-1976 'DUSTER' emblem, now with flat black instead of beige.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, keyser said:

They honestly did a 1:1 Volare Roadrunner in 77, had the kit. Annual wasn’t common I think. 
Volare “Front Runner” with Roadrunner package. 

2346D93F-CE88-4BF7-8F24-971148750FEB.jpeg

I remember I used to look out of the passenger side window of my mother’s ‘72 Road Runner and sneer at those Volare Road Runners; called them “Road Fakers”. Now if I came across one that was in good shape - especially a 1980 Volare Road Runner - I’d probably buy it.  Drop a 340 in it out of a 70-71 Duster, with a four speed. That would be a pretty good little car.

Edited by drksd4848
  • Like 1

Volare/Aspen weren't awful cars in and of themselves.  They were actually intended to replace both the Valiant/Dart and the intermediate cars.  Just rushed to market too fast.  The front fenders rusted, but they did on most everything else back then (like the AMC product that I owned then, and though it bothered me at the time, it didn't stop me from really liking that car).  The styling of the Mopars was really pretty nice, the '80 is nicer than the earlier ones IMO but I'd bet someone at Round 2 wishes MPC hadn't updated it back then.

MPC stopped putting the year on the annual kit boxes after '78.  They put those plastic strips around the boxes with the year on it, sellers could tear those off later.  For a few years before that, they were printing boxes with "new" (or just blank) instead of the year, for some department store chains that were tired of blowing out "last year's kits" when the year changed.  AMT did that for several years too, but they got away from annuals entirely after '77.

Wow, this really was an annual:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134220936334?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Those reissues really kill the resale value of the originals. 

BTW how about they reissue this one: (However, even I know the odds are pretty slim so I wouldn’t bang the door down for it)

spacer.png

I had the original release!

F906A264-6D0F-4906-92AD-7A9E38D4160A.jpeg

128333A8-7216-4D90-9FEE-E6E8D0369D86.jpeg
I’m pretty sure that was a Johan release. Who has the rights to that tooling?

Edited by drksd4848

4 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Wow, this really was an annual:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134220936334?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Those reissues really kill the resale value of the originals. 

BTW how about they reissue this one: (However, even I know the odds are pretty slim so I wouldn’t bang the door down for it)

spacer.png

I had the original release!

F906A264-6D0F-4906-92AD-7A9E38D4160A.jpeg

128333A8-7216-4D90-9FEE-E6E8D0369D86.jpeg
I’m pretty sure that was a Johan release. Who has the rights to that tooling?

The one I'd really like to see of that body style is a full detail kit of the Pontiac Tempest, mostly because of the interesting drivetrain.