Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

21 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Been a while since I posted in this tread.....so I'm adding this one ;)

Photo taken from a FB group and was posted there by Michael Catalano.

Facebook

No not the Mustang, I'm talking the CHP Polara :D

Cheers!

chpMONACO.jpg

Ya the CHP used to have Gestapo type roadside checks. They would stop almost every car until the Q got too full or they saw something like this Mustang. They would check for any smog violations, I got a ticket for the top of my air cleaner being upside down, Headlight adjustment was another big deal with them. They didn't appreciate the aircraft landing lights I had for high beams in my '67 El Camino. Got to the point that if you were driving down the road and saw a line forming or could see that it was the CHP up ahead you would turn off and use side streets to get around them. This went on up thru the '70's, then they sort of faded away in Central Cal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, espo said:

Ya the CHP used to have Gestapo type roadside checks. They would stop almost every car until the Q got too full or they saw something like this Mustang. They would check for any smog violations, I got a ticket for the top of my air cleaner being upside down, Headlight adjustment was another big deal with them. They didn't appreciate the aircraft landing lights I had for high beams in my '67 El Camino. Got to the point that if you were driving down the road and saw a line forming or could see that it was the CHP up ahead you would turn off and use side streets to get around them. This went on up thru the '70's, then they sort of faded away in Central Cal.

So you shared that issue with San Antonio PD (among others) for reversing the air cleaner.  They got dinged by that other 3 letter agency-EPA.  But "Gestapo"?  Really?  When you admitted to being out of bounds with the lights?  Which likely resulted in a correction notice or possibly a citation if there were repeated violations of the same issue.

Back on track, like Luc I'd just love any of the 69-72 Dodge Polara's but I think the market for those kits is dying out (literally)

26 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

So you shared that issue with San Antonio PD (among others) for reversing the air cleaner.  They got dinged by that other 3 letter agency-EPA.  But "Gestapo"?  Really?  When you admitted to being out of bounds with the lights?  Which likely resulted in a correction notice or possibly a citation if there were repeated violations of the same issue.

Back on track, like Luc I'd just love any of the 69-72 Dodge Polara's but I think the market for those kits is dying out (literally)

While you may be correct about the Gestapo reference. The fact that you would encounter one of these roadside stops on any four-lane major artery surface streets on any given day of the week was overdoing on their part. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, espo said:

While you may be correct about the Gestapo reference. The fact that you would encounter one of these roadside stops on any four-lane major artery surface streets on any given day of the week was overdoing on their part. 

Possibly you may be right, which might explain the reason they haven't been used in 40+ years.

Les,

Yeah; we ran a feature in Z CAR Magazine, when I was restoration editor, about what some Philistine might swap into the early (1970-74) 240 - 260Z, and my nomination was the Rover 3.5L, which at that time was available as a crate replacement for about $4K.  The B-W T-5 was current then, but between the two of them the tab would've been pretty spendy!  I almost bought a FI version at a dismantlers some time back, but judging from the condition of the Rover, it must have been the ening or trans that put it into a salvage mode.

It didn't surprise me that the Brits (you're Scots, right?) wanted to stick a 'toilet-flusher' SU on top the thing, rather than a good US 4-bbl.  Later oc it got FI.  I was happy with my SU's on the restored '70 and restomod '71 Z's I have/had, but it's a weird mod.  The '70 was used in my resto book, and was repurchased by NISSAN USA for a display car, when they tired of borrowing it from me for shows.  Gees, I write like I was still getting paid by the word!  WIck

On 9/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, Mike C. said:

Attn: Round 2. It's time to re-release this kit.

s-l640 (2).jpg

That kit needs to stay wherever it is. The proportions on it are awful. Not to mention the interior and chassis. 

On the other hand, it is time for Revell to reissue the '68 Firebird. Prices on it are ridiculous! 

Edited by Plowboy

On 9/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, Luc Janssens said:

chpMONACO.jpg

Where was this photo from, an episode of CHiPs? 😂

On 9/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, Mike C. said:

Attn: Round 2. It's time to re-release this kit.

s-l640 (2).jpg

Let R2 know. Maybe you'll get a response like this

On 9/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, drksd4848 said:

Dear customer, 

We have received your request and would like you to know that we can’t understand why you would want to build a model of that malaise era piece of crud. The 71–72 Plymouth B body was the fugliest thing to ever roll off a Detroit assembly line.  What’s even more offensive is knowing that you would want to bulid a car model with that smog choked, gutless 400 4bbl under the hood; everyone here knows that the 383 with the steel crank and no EGR pump was a far superior motor and so we question the intelligence of anyone who could find that 1972  Virgil Exner anal baby remotely desirable.  Did you know? The reason why those cars are rare in real life is because they started rotting as soon as they left the show room floor. In fact, we built a mock up of that Slo-Par piece of poo with the original tooling - the tooling was never damaged by the way; we just made that up to get dumb dumbs like you to leave us alone - and it fell apart as soon as we finished it!  Just like in real life!  So, customer, we would like to let you know that we took the tooling out back and set it on fire to make sure no one could ever assemble a copy of this rolling garbage can and scar the scale modeling world forever.  We appreciate that you’ve spent lots of money on our products in the past, but to be honest keep your money from now on and see if you can buy some intelligence with it.  It would be a better investment for us if we built new tooling to release a model of a rusted out Subaru Brat. At least the Brat would run in real life.  

Sincerely,

Round 2

On 9/7/2022 at 11:00 AM, drksd4848 said:

Obviously I can only directly speak for myself, but if you comb through this forum you get the sense that many people have been clamoring for this kit for a lot longer than the three year lead up period and I’ve been asking them (Round 2) even longer than that; not that I ever expected them to make their decision based on my request and the requests of others. Tone deaf companies generally don’t do that. 

I don’t know. Given the desire of their clientele, it seems like releasing this kit would be a no-brainer. If they are not going release it though, why would they bother releasing the 74 Road Runner for the thousandth time and that oddball 1980 Volare Road Runner that came out of nowhere. Just doesn’t add up. The only reason why they wouldn’t is because they really don’t want to.

Yeah that's it, they're just being rude. After all, they're only in it just for themselves and don't really care about their customers. History has shown that they never release ANYTHING that could possibly even sell and besides that, they don't even like you or the Road Runner. (note: sarcasm).

It's only because of that and not even remotely possible that licensing from Warner Brothers could ever be a sticking point. BTW, The WB doesn't like model builders either and won't release cartoon characters for little toys!

• Like 1

I guess this post is a bit more generic, but I would like to see more new-subject 1/16 scale kits. I know I have brought up 1/12 kits before, but knowing how much space they take up, and how popular 1/18 scale diecasts are, it seems like 1/16 scale kits would be a good middle ground (not to mention the price is a bit easier to swallow nowadays).

I suppose if I were to choose a subject, I think the current Mustang GT500 would be a great choice.

I've been waiting for decades and time might running out in my lifetime to ever see it. My favorite and holy grail model kit was MPC Grumpys Toy 1970 pro stock Camaro! I saw it run at the west coast national event at long gone Fremont Raceway in northern California.  My favorite drag Camaro of all time! Been asking auto world to re-release it each month they show what's new, but all on deaf ears! I don't want a Grumpy Nova, not a Vega, nothing but the '70 Camaro!!!!

I've been waiting for decades and time might running out in my lifetime to ever see it. My favorite and holy grail model kit was MPC Grumpys Toy 1970 pro stock Camaro! I saw it run at the west coast national event at long gone Fremont Raceway in northern California.  My favorite drag Camaro of all time! Been asking auto world to re-release it each month they show what's new, but all on deaf ears! I don't want a Grumpy Nova, not a Vega, nothing but the '70 Camaro!!!!Screenshot_20220912-145127_Chrome.jpg.063eba562614e8629c8356f23d81470e.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TIP-TOP said:

I've been waiting for decades and time might running out in my lifetime to ever see it. My favorite and holy grail model kit was MPC Grumpys Toy 1970 pro stock Camaro! I saw it run at the west coast national event at long gone Fremont Raceway in northern California.  My favorite drag Camaro of all time! Been asking auto world to re-release it each month they show what's new, but all on deaf ears! I don't want a Grumpy Nova, not a Vega, nothing but the '70 Camaro!!!!Screenshot_20220912-145127_Chrome.jpg.063eba562614e8629c8356f23d81470e.jpg

My! Aren’t we grumpy! LOL😁

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Would love Revell tooling up parts to be able to build an LS version.

I made a poor attempt at an LS conversion back in 1986 when the kit --the regular coupe-- was new. I got as far as cutting the kit's SBC into a 4.3 V6, and attempting to recreate the LS's unique exterior parts. 
I was likewise hoping to see a stock Grand Prix, especially a 2+2, from then-Monogram. Nothing happened beyond the N.A.S.C.A.R. version.

2 hours ago, Calb56 said:

Bring back the 50 Oldsmobile. Talk about way too much on EBay!!!

Maybe even offer the Olds in additional body styles much like Revell has done with the '57 Ford kit and the '57 Chevrolet kit. What are they bringing on E Bay anyway? 

56 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

45-60 plus 15-16 shipping. 

Only 2 right now but too rich for my blood.

Yeah. At least a fastback would be cool.

Did a resin fastback a couple of years ago. I like that one a lot. Saw where someone put the roof from an AMT '51 Chevy hardtop on the Olds body and that looked good. There are resin Woody Wagons out there also.