Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

Many of these have all been posted over the years, but I thought I'd update my thoughts:

A new tool '65 GTO.  The old AMT is tired. (or maybe retool the existing kit to the '64 LeMans convertible annual!)..

A new tool '67-68 Cougar. I have a few of the AMT annuals, I have a couple resins, have my Dad's 1:1 now..just always had a soft spot for these cars, would love a new full detail kit.

A '68-69 Mercury Cyclone GT.  Never kitted before, kind of a missing muscle car.

A '68-69 Buick GS.  Never kitted before, kind of a missing muscle car.

A full detail late model '15+ Challenger...infinite variations, and would be a good companion piece for Round 2 to do to go with the upcoming Charger.

A full detail '15-22 Mustang GT...variations could include the Shelby GT 350, Shelby GT 350R, Shelby GT500..

A full detail C8 Corvette.

Any current full size pickup.  The most recent full size truck kits are over 20 years old.

Any current mid size pickup. The most recent midsize or compact truck kits are over 25 years old.

The modern Ford Maverick pickup.  Neat little truck.

Any current Porsche 911 variation or 718 Cayman/Boxster.   Likewise for Audi, BMW, Mercedes...just a real dearth of modern subjects out there. 

And how about a Revell Custom Car Parts revival? 

Hot Rod Mills: caddy, flathead, nailhead, y-block with various speed parts.

Gasser Mills: early hemi, 409, sbc with blowers, fender headers and at least one "lifted" front end

Take it from kits from the last 20 years...

Edited by Calb56

• 2 weeks later...

1970 El Camino SS. (Picture is my '70 ELCO, I want to build a copy kit of it) The 308932437_70elcodusk.jpg.17b120eca9492917bead15a645087e4c.jpgone year only '70 El Camino front end was the best looking of the '68-'72. Think there was a Firestone resin '70 El Camino.

Edited by TIP-TOP
Added photo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TIP-TOP said:

1970 El Camino SS. (Picture is my '70 ELCO, I want to build a copy kit of it) The 308932437_70elcodusk.jpg.17b120eca9492917bead15a645087e4c.jpgone year only '70 El Camino front end was the best looking of the '68-'72. Think there was a Firestone resin '70 El Camino.

First off, you have a beautiful looking El Camino. I'm also a big fan of these cars and my Avtar is of my '67 from many years ago. I think it was AMT that offered a '69 maybe and has been reissued by Round 2 with a Soap Box Dubry Car in it. AMT also offered a '70 Chevelle SS 454 kit at one time. Maybe if you can combine these two kits to get what you're after.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, Kenmojr said:

700R4 is a great upgrade from a Turbo 350 or Powerglide especially mated with that ZZ$ 350.

Are those wheels American Racing?

That's one nice, clean looking 70 El Camino!!!.

Thanks for posting and sharing....

I might be the only one, but what about a '72 Chevelle, For some reason no manufacturer seems to currently offer it. Of all the cars that I've owned, it's the only one that I can't build a model of. I've thought of modifying a '71 which is pretty close but my skills (or lack thereof) make that a non-starter.

3 hours ago, NYRich72 said:

I might be the only one, but what about a '72 Chevelle, For some reason no manufacturer seems to currently offer it. Of all the cars that I've owned, it's the only one that I can't build a model of. I've thought of modifying a '71 which is pretty close but my skills (or lack thereof) make that a non-starter.

Other than the MPC and AMT annuals, no 1971 or 1972 Chevelle is around in 1/24 or 1/25 scale.
the AMT version had been available on & off throughout the decades, last seeing light in c.2006.
The MPC version was modified into a circle track [?] kit, then as a street machine (with "correct" stock items "restored"), but has been out-of-production for close to 40 years.

Not sure why the AMT kit hasn't been reissued. It's not the best, but is better than nothing. It shares many of its 'guts' with the 1970 SS-454 kit (the backdated iteration from c.1995), making a phantom 1972 LS-6 a de facto box stock option.

If you have a 1971 Chevelle annual, I'd advise against modifying it to 1972 cosmetics, as those 1971s were one year only releases! Someone'll trade you all day long for one of the 1972 kits.

1 hour ago, keyser said:

I think the original 72 AMT was converted back to a 70 at one point, ages ago, then converted back to a 72, that’s not quite as good. Mark knows, but that is story I recall. 
Here, Don Sikora ll comment 

It was in the mid-1990s when the 1972 was backdated to a 1970. I remember passing on the AMT '70 in favour of the Monogram version, but was intrigued with the AMT's inclusion of the Cowl Induction air cleaner (something that the Monogram kit never had, in spite of the C.I. hood).

Begs the question: What became of the MPC tooling? It was last seen some +/- 40 years ago in the red-with-yellow-stripes livery, then disappeared. For all of its muddied history - butchered modified body - it seems like it'd be a popular seller, especially given the nostalgic aspect (e.g., we 'Blank Generation' builders).

19 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Other than the MPC and AMT annuals, no 1971 or 1972 Chevelle is around in 1/24 or 1/25 scale.
the AMT version had been available on & off throughout the decades, last seeing light in c.2006.
The MPC version was modified into a circle track [?] kit, then as a street machine (with "correct" stock items "restored"), but has been out-of-production for close to 40 years.

Not sure why the AMT kit hasn't been reissued. It's not the best, but is better than nothing. It shares many of its 'guts' with the 1970 SS-454 kit (the backdated iteration from c.1995), making a phantom 1972 LS-6 a de facto box stock option.

If you have a 1971 Chevelle annual, I'd advise against modifying it to 1972 cosmetics, as those 1971s were one year only releases! Someone'll trade you all day long for one of the 1972 kits.

Thanks for the info which is pretty much what I expected after extensive searching for a '72.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:02 PM, Daryl Romain said:

'68 Biscayne

68 Chevrolet Biscayne 427.jpg

68 Biscayne 427.jpg

I could get behind either or both of the '66 or '68 Biscayan or Bel Air two doors. I ordered a '68 Bel Air to replace my '66 Impala SS because of the insurance rates at the time. That aside, I have always sort of liked the basic sedan bodies without really knowing why.