Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

On 10/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

How about a 1956 Packard Caribbean? Ain’t she gorgeous? 😍🥰🤩

image.jpeg.622fe243cf83f71b215ae1638224a835.jpeg

The first time I’ve heard and saw of this beautiful automobile was a segment on Jay Leno’s Garage with Pitbull. Pitbull really change my view about him. He is heavily involved to building schools and education in poor areas. 

22 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've always kinda pined for a full-detail kit of Dean Jeffries' Mantaray, but that's about as likely as me growing a set of horns this afternoon.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.X5bZE4FqFPIR7K9gjeSjJgHaDE%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=5ea8e7caf89ee058dda58aeb8025f8596c16a49d3d12c16a89710cb090599dbd&ipo=images

Mantaray by Dean Jeffries | Influx Magazine | Unique cars, Concept cars ...

Have you seen the 1/24 slotcar bodies of this car made in the '60s, Bill?

They look pretty good. I think they're styrene but I don't know for sure.

https://www.slotforum.com/threads/jeffries-manta-ray.57254/

Edited by Can-Con

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Have you seen the 1/24 slotcar bodies of this car made in the '60s, Bill?

They look pretty good. I think they're styrene but I don't know for sure.

https://www.slotforum.com/threads/jeffries-manta-ray.57254/

Thanks. Every now and again when I think of it, I'll do an eBay search for one.

They're out there, 'cause I missed one not too insanely expensive, not too long ago.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Mantaray slot car and body was made by MPC. It was blow molded vs vacuum formed to be able to have the undercuts in the body design. It also has separate styrene details and engine plus a clear styrene driver's canopy.  It's fairly accurate at first glance but is lacking proper shape on the lower body and rear end to fit MPC's chassis. These bodies become very brittle with age and finding a good one that isn't cracked or warped isn't easy or cheap. The one I have isn't in great shape and appears to be butyrate given it's yellowed and is thicker than some of the bodies then currently available but MPC was using lexan for some of its RTR cars by this time so who knows. 

With Revell's Roth's creations, AMT's Silhouette, Monogram's Starbird cars being made back then I'm kinda surprised and disappointed none of the model companies decided to make a kit of this car.

vintage-mpc-dean-jeffries-manta-ray-1-24-dream-slot-car-in-red-excellent-50241.jpg

vintage-mpc-24-slot-car-dean-jeffries_1_3ecc82fae08bebc4a58cc4e13d652ad7.jpg

vintage-mpc-dean-jeffries-manta-ray-1-24-dream-slot-car-in-red-excellent-50240.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

...These bodies become very brittle with age and finding a good one that isn't cracked or warped isn't easy or cheap...

...With Revell's Roth's creations, AMT's Silhouette, Monogram's Starbird cars being made back then I'm kinda surprised and disappointed none of the model companies decided to make a kit of this car.

Yup yup yup.

And unfortunately, most of what comes up in an eBay search is the body below, one of which I bought anyway to use as the basis for a bubble-top custom Cheetah-esque thingy, but it is entirely different from the Jeffries design, obviously.

1/24 slotcar 1/24 scale Vintage slot car body Classic Manta-Ray GTX not painted - Picture 1 of 8

That's Classic's Manta Ray. Probably one of the most common of the "thingy" style slot cars back in the day but popular enough that numerous people have made replacement copies of that body over the years. I don't think it was meant to represent Jefferies creation but Classic did some of the wildest looking bodies after they came out with this. 

• Thanks 1

I love muscle cars, but they've been pretty well covered over the years. If anything, how about the less common cars? Falcons, Mavericks, Mustang coupes, and maybe a new Javelin kit would be nice. For muscle cars, two door sedan versions of the Roadrunner, Chevelle and such would be a nice alternative. I'd also love to see more exotic and tuner kits, or at least tuner parts for regular kits. Something along the line of the Liberty Walk cars, or the RWB Porsches. Maybe tuner parts that could fit any kit with a little work, such as low profile tires and wheels, flares and spoilers and such. Another area would be Ford Transit and Mercedes Benz Sprinter. You could offer them in commercial livery, and then do Overlanding versions, too. How about versions with big tires and wheels, roof racks with ladders, kayaks and other roof cargo, bull bars for the front and lots of lights?

• Like 1