Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

6 hours ago, Mike C. said:

This may have been mentioned more than once and I think they made a toy of this years ago, but this would be pretty cool as a model kit in like 1/25. Imagine the customizing possibilities. That old GMC motorhome from the 70s.

R (29).jpg

I used to have a Hot Wheels of this growing up.

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I think Hess made one of those motor homes , not a kit but it was pretty cool if I remember right.

The Hess (oil company) model was promo of their travelling classroom.  A company I worked for in the early 70's bought one for use by the sales department and I was able to use it when available.  Took weeklong family vacations with it.  Great to drive with the front wheel drive (Olds engine).  The Hess model shows rear wheel drive is not accurate.   

Several years ago there was a post on here by a modeler that cut his in half and built out the interior like a true motor home, getting rid of the class setup.  Very well done. 

Hess GMC motorhome .JPG

• Like 1

I'd love to see a, any, Revell 32 Ford with a quick change rearend, flathead with 39 LaSalle tranny and Navarro heads and maybe a SCoT or McCullough blower. Pretty much a chassis that was 50s to 60s period correct.

Just once...please.

Movie/TV car series: starting with ones that were already produced like 'get smart' Tiger, Mannix Olds. Batmobile, etc

77 Sunset strip set: Kookies hot road, and Efrem's T bird.

Just watched 'Smokey and the Bandit' would make a nice set, Firebird, Truck and trailer, and sheriff's Pontiac LeMans

Then we could have the Jack Webb Mark VII series, 'Adam 12"s Chrysler products, 'Emergency's Dodge, Crown pumper, Ward LaFrance pumper, (could even relabel the AMT ALF Ladder as there was one used) 'Dragnets' Fords both 50' and 60's. How about 'The D.I.' Marine Jeep.

Doodad features that could be added: drive-in refreshment stand (use that Coca-Cola license), drive in speaker stands, TV sets with decal of TV shows, figures, props, telephone booth. sheriff Justice, Fred the dog and Sally, Burt, and Jerry

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
added info

18 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Movie/TV car series: starting with ones that were already produced like 'get smart' Tiger, Mannix Olds. Batmobile, etc

Then we could have the Jack Webb Mark VII series, 'Adam 12"s Chrysler products, 'Emergency's Dodge, Crown pumper, Ward LaFrance pumper, (could even relabel the AMT ALF Ladder as there was one used) 'Dragnets' Fords both 50' and 60's. How about 'The D.I.' Marine Jeep.

Doodad features that could be added: drive-in refreshment stand (use that Coca-Cola license), drive in speaker stands, TV sets with decal of TV shows, figures, props, telephone booth. 

greg

And the Adam 12 series: 67 and 68 Plymouth Belvedere, 71 Plymouth Satellite, various years AMC Matadors, 70 Mercury Montego.  And those are just the "hero" cars.  Add Sgt Mac putting around in a Plymouth Belvedere station wagon....  Granted there's no market for these past the odd resin body, though I wouldn't mind hocking a body part for a 70-71 2 dr Montego/Cyclone.

Edited by The Junkman

21 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Just watched 'Smokey and the Bandit' would make a nice set, Firebird, Truck and trailer, and sheriff's Pontiac LeMans

Doodad features that could be added: drive-in refreshment stand (use that Coca-Cola license), drive in speaker stands, TV sets with decal of TV shows, figures, props, telephone booth. sheriff Justice, Fred the dog and Sally, Burt, and Jerry

greg

Don’t forget Highway Patrol! Great variety of cop cars: Buick, Dodge,Mercury, even an Olds, not to mention all the rides of the criminal element!

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that there are still no square body Blazer reproduction kits from any of the major manufactures yet? I'm not talking about those extreme pulling trucks, but a good old reproduction between Monogram and Revell. Like a '77-'78 or something like that. With the popularity of these vehicles these days, you would think the shelves would be full of them by now. Just imagine the aftermarket goodies. I always wanted to build a custom Chalet.

OIP (8).jpg

7be1ea198750a3a504acddd57562332b.jpg

• Like 3

Revell, MPC and Monogram all kitted the Squarebody Blazer. The Revell and the MPC were simplified Snap Kits, but the MOnogram is decent. My only hope is that the sales for the "Pulldozer. Mad Mudder, Pulled Pork" Blazer will persuade Quantum Germany to restore the stock parts to the Blazer and give us the Big Horn Sheriff's Blazer in some form.

I would agree with Mike C. on the square body GM pickups and Blazers. Partially since I have owned a couple so you know I would want to build copies of them at this point, but I also think that they would be profitable for the model companies as well. As for the Chevrolet Blazer with the camper option? Well, I was working for a Chevrolet Dealership at the time these came to market. We couldn't give it away; it was just sale proof.   

19 minutes ago, espo said:

I would agree with Mike C. on the square body GM pickups and Blazers. Partially since I have owned a couple so you know I would want to build copies of them at this point, but I also think that they would be profitable for the model companies as well. As for the Chevrolet Blazer with the camper option? Well, I was working for a Chevrolet Dealership at the time these came to market. We couldn't give it away; it was just sale proof.   

That doesn't make the Chalets any less cool in model form. We're not worried about the price of gas anymore.

1 minute ago, Mike C. said:

That doesn't make the Chalets any less cool in model form. We're not worried about the price of gas anymore.

You are correct. The novelty of it now would make it much more interesting than what the real thing was way back when. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Just look at the Mopar wing cars.

Yup. Hard to sell last of F40’s, lots of cars. Desirable now doesn’t mean demand new. 2 seat T-Birds died and 4 seaters doubled sales. Lightnings didn’t sell great, Raptors insane sales. 

13 hours ago, Mike C. said:

...I always wanted to build a custom Chalet.

7 hours ago, espo said:

...I was working for a Chevrolet Dealership at the time these came to market. We couldn't give it away; it was just sale proof.   

7 hours ago, keyser said:

Things are rare sometimes because nobody wanted them in first place. 

This all ties together - the tan 1:1 Chalet above is #1460 (these are designated by the last 4 digits of the camper serial number plate), and the guy who had that one was unable to sell it from 2015 to 2018, rare as it might be, because he was asking as much as triple what the going rate was for these in the condition his rig was in. Possible that he never sold it, maybe. And yep, I've heard from more than one dealer worker that the dealerships couldn't move these back in '76 - '77 off the showroom floor or off the lot for over two years after they got them. One guy told me how one of these was dropped off by GM at the dealership in the middle of the night with no warning it was coming. Lately there's been a flurry of interest in the 1:1s by a tiny handful of rich guys with lots of dolars but no sense about looking into the prior sales histories of these, sending 'em up to really inflated values, but I think the air is going out of that speculation bubble more all the time.

Me, I used to own Chalet #1747, and I'm still the caretaker of the ancient blazerchalet.com website. Tragically, I have zero time to bring it up to 21st century speed. I went so far several years back as to snap up three cheap eBay kits of the MPC and Revell and Monogram kits, but still haven't figured out which is the best base for a factory stock GMC Jimmy Casa Grande version. If one of these kits was re-tooled and also altered to be more accurate in proportions and details, it would save me a lot of bother of trying to fix the basic scale problems in the kit, where I could devote more time to scratchbuilding the camper unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1