Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

10 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Not a fan of much from the 80s ... And I'm a diehard Mopar fan .BUT  I sure would like to have one of these . Just for chits and giggles . Ive driven one of these and have to say these things will fly in box stock form

image.png.ff4f4a9e3d695f42704f3f9b246f6404.png

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Didn't Monogram kit that? I think I even have one somewhere in the pile. 

They did both the GN and the GNX and many reissues of both. 

monogram-muscle-buick-grand-national.jpg.670fcda314089910e67d1d5fe34c00ca.jpg

revell-87-buick-GNX.jpg.17b19a8bf6fb432cd169e609fc534a12.jpg

Realize most of my interests are a bit out of the mainstream, so tried to think of 5 I would like to see that should sell and have the possibility of spin-off versions, so unfortunately the Stout Scarab somebody posted a photo of is not on the list.

Late 50's Mack B-61

STOCK 1932 Ford Model 18 a Victoria or B-400 would be nice to start the series

Austin 7, England's answer to the Ford Model T

Aston-Martin DB4 series 1, the Aurora version is horrible, with a bit of pre-planning a DB4GT and DB5 could  be done from the base

Cobra 1963 Series II with 289 and rack and pinion steering, the AMT I feel is a pretty good early 260 car this would go good with it.

Then for something just totally off the wall, another Scarab only this one a 1950 Scammell. As Frank Zappa said "no commercial potential".

7 hours ago, waynehulsey said:

Realize most of my interests are a bit out of the mainstream, so tried to think of 5 I would like to see that should sell and have the possibility of spin-off versions, so unfortunately the Stout Scarab somebody posted a photo of is not on the list.

Late 50's Mack B-61

STOCK 1932 Ford Model 18 a Victoria or B-400 would be nice to start the series

Austin 7, England's answer to the Ford Model T

Aston-Martin DB4 series 1, the Aurora version is horrible, with a bit of pre-planning a DB4GT and DB5 could  be done from the base

Cobra 1963 Series II with 289 and rack and pinion steering, the AMT I feel is a pretty good early 260 car this would go good with it.

Then for something just totally off the wall, another Scarab only this one a 1950 Scammell. As Frank Zappa said "no commercial potential".

For an Austin 7, take a look at the Heller BMW DIXI--Austin 7 built under license in Germany.  Of course, along those lines, I could go for both a stock American Austin and an American Bantam, both as roadsters--small enough that it could even be a double kit!

1 minute ago, Art Anderson said:

For an Austin 7, take a look at the Heller BMW DIXI--Austin 7 built under license in Germany.  Of course, along those lines, I could go for both a stock American Austin and an American Bantam, both as roadsters--small enough that it could even be a double kit!

I could get behind that.  If you need to fill up the box, throw in the parts for a drag version.

The Heller DIXI to Austin 7 builds a reasonable version, but I'd like to see an earlier saloon (sedan) version. Plus have a kit designed from the beginning to pull alternate versions from it. Could go for the American versions also.

The Airfix Scammell looks interesting even in HO, but have never seen one. Maybe I need to check out one of the model railroad swap meets sometime. Thanks for putting another one on my list when I'm trying to downsize the kit stash.

I would love to see Revell make a 1/12 Cuda based on their recent 1970 kit. We need a Mopar in 1/12 scale!

As for small kits, one would be a new F150 Sport with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Another would be a newer Ram 2500 or 3500 with the Cummins. Basically, any newer pickups would be welcome to have.

2 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I would love to see Revell make a 1/12 Cuda based on their recent 1970 kit. We need a Mopar in 1/12 scale!

I would be up for that!

Another 1/12 that would make my day is for Revell to take their '67 Corvette, and backdate it to a '63! Icing on the cake would be to make it a convertible with both tops as opposed to a coupe. I have the '67 Coupe and they must be rather rare as prices on those have gotten somewhat crazy over the years.

I've proposed this before -- including via hand-written letters and emails to Revell , et al. -- a few times over the years , and I seriously doubt that it'll ever see the light of day ; to wit :

- "Generic" 1970-1972 Duster body shell (think : plastic equal to the 'Body-In-White' deal from the factory) ;

- Separate-purchase 1970 , 1971 , 1972 trim that's specific to the subjective year(s) ;

- Engine options of : Slant Six , small V8 , big block , and Hemi (essentially , Hemi parts for the big block engine ) ;

- Transmission choices of : 3-speed manual , 4-speed manual , 904 , and 727 ;

- Rear diff choices of : 83/4 and Dana 60 ; 

- Stock and period-correct custom wheels & tyres ;

- Other period-correct performance parts ( e.g. , Direct Connection rocker arm covers and air cleaner ; Hurst Dual-Gate shifter & console ) .

Reasonable ? No. Way. 

Now , on to realistic proposals :

- Large-scale ( 1/16 , 1/12 , or 1/8 )    1971-1972 Road Runner , 1968-1970 Charger .

- 1968 Nova SS with 350 and 396 options ; 4-speed or TH-400 .

- 1968-1969 Chevelle SS or COPO .

- 1964 Chevelle 300 two door wagon ( I-6 and 327 options ).

-  Comet , Maverick , Demon , Duster , Dart Sport , Hornet , and Vega in Pro Stock livery .

13 hours ago, waynehulsey said:

The Heller DIXI to Austin 7 builds a reasonable version, but I'd like to see an earlier saloon (sedan) version. Plus have a kit designed from the beginning to pull alternate versions from it. Could go for the American versions also.

The Airfix Scammell looks interesting even in HO, but have never seen one. Maybe I need to check out one of the model railroad swap meets sometime. Thanks for putting another one on my list when I'm trying to downsize the kit stash.

Even if there may not be a lot of interest over here for the Scarab, what about on the other side of the Atlantic?  I know there's a British company who's name escapes me the specializes in kits on vintage European trucks. Maybe someone like them would be the ones to talk to?

Buick Riviera 71-73

Any 40s/early 50s Buick

1975 Dodge Charger
1977-90 Chevy Caprice

Willys Jeep Truck/Station wagon

Nissan Hardbody pickup
Volvo PV444/544, Duett 445/210, Amazon 122s, 140, 164, P1800
Saab 92-96, 99
Peugeot 203, 404, 504 pickup
VW split window, 1302 (early flat-windscreen super beetle), type 2 baywindow, type 3 notchback, fastback, squareback, ghia, type 4, thing.

ANY Mercedes not produced in 1:24/25-scale
BMW E12 or E28
Opel Rekord /Commodore/Senator/Monza/Omega (any year), Kadett (any year), Ascona (1970-81), Manta (1970-75), Kapitän/Admiral/Diplomat (Any year), Corsa (1982-00), Olympia (1936-52)
Ford europe Taunus (any year), Granada (any year), Cortina (any year), Fiesta Mk1

44 minutes ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Opel Rekord /Commodore/Senator/Monza/Omega (any year), Kadett (any year), Ascona (1970-81), Manta (1970-75), Kapitän/Admiral/Diplomat (Any year), Corsa (1982-00), Olympia (1936-52)
Ford europe Taunus (any year), Granada (any year), Cortina (any year), Fiesta Mk1

Yes to the Opel and Ford Europe motion....they have been ignored for much too long

:D

1972-93 Dodge Powerwagon's, in 1/25th scale and some also in 1/35th and 1/48th scale, as these trucks were used by the American armed forces too, that way too the R&D cost can be spread, not only over a number of variants (model year, uteline, sweptline two or all wheel drive) but also different productlines (car-, Military-, and aircraft modelers) and then I'm not including Ramcharger/traildusters..Hmm an unexplored goldmine????

1973- 87 Chevy C/K pickups/Blazers/Jimmy's, much of the same comments as above.

Edited by Luc Janssens

19 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I would be up for that!

Another 1/12 that would make my day is for Revell to take their '67 Corvette, and backdate it to a '63! Icing on the cake would be to make it a convertible with both tops as opposed to a coupe. I have the '67 Coupe and they must be rather rare as prices on those have gotten somewhat crazy over the years.

Lessee, they'd only have to change (or new-tool) the body, hood, grille, interior, complete engine, and wheels. But hey they could use the chassis, wheel backs, and tires. Actually the tires in the '67 kit might be more appropriate to a '63 than a '67 (being originally tooled for the '57 Chevy). 

1962 Ford Custom 2 door post sedan with a 223 6 cylinder and a 292 V8  with automatic and 3 speed standard transmission options Would make a great Fire Chief and/or Police car as many inner city police cars used a 6 cylinder versus the V8 for city driving. 

It could later be issued with a 406 with 3 2's and with a 4 speed.and automatic transmission with cheater slicks and 62 era tach, gauges and decals for an A/stock drag car.

If the tooling was done properly so the 406 and chassis could be used a 62 Galaxie hardtop could be done using some of the sedan tooling.

And how about a 55, 56, or 57 Chevy sedan delivery? Make a stock version with a six and V8 option again with an automatic or a 3 speed. Would be great as a light commercial vehicle, utility company and /or police or fire department vehicle.

Next upgrade would be to add some Stahl headers, traction bars, ball joint spacers ,wide and narrow steelies and wide and narrow Cragars or Keystones. along with cheater slicks. Some 60's era correct gauges, tach and decals and we have a Junior Stocker

100_5064.JPG

Edited by VW93
added picture

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, VW93 said:

And how about a 55, 56, or 57 Chevy sedan delivery? Make a stock version with a six and V8 option again with an automatic or a 3 speed. Would be great as a light commercial vehicle, utility company and /or police or fire department vehicle.

Next upgrade would be to add some Stahl headers, traction bars, ball joint spacers ,wide and narrow steelies and wide and narrow Cragars or Keystones. along with cheater slicks. Some 60's era correct gauges, tach and decals and we have a Junior Stocker

100_5064.JPG

Put me down for about half a dozen!

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Put me down for about half a dozen!

Forgot to add that they need to tool up a Hydramatic transmission and a B& M shifter for it.Most of the Jr Stock sedan delivery's that ran in the automatic classes used them until the NHRA  outlawed them.

The kit bashing possibilities with the Revell 56 & 57 Chevy sedans would be a no brainer.

The Yoo Hoo Too would be the perfect car for Revell to do the tooling research on. Wayne Jesel built it to recreate his original car. There is more of he story about the build on his Facebook page.

1969 Dodge Polara CHP Cruiser

1) Select the type of customer you wish to reach:

The enthusiast modeler, 
As with big rig builders, police car modelers are rarely blessed with new subjects, and the few released were either simplified designs and retools or marketed towards youth, sometimes including questionable and costly extras. 
Only one kit sticks out and then it's an old tool whose current existential status is unknown, namely the old Jo-Han Plymouth Fury, which was on the market for decades. 
I firmly believe that police car modelers will lay the green on the counter for a detailed cruiser because they almost always had to rely on aftermarket companies to make a convincing model.

2) Choice of subject matter:
The 1969 Dodge Polara is widely known as one of the all-time favorite cruisers amongst officers who were active during the 60s-70s. It is also listed as the fastest cruiser of the time, even surpassing the 94-96 Caprice LT1s. The 1969 Polara equipped with a 440 4bbl was officially clocked at 147mph in tests. 
It was basically a 4 door muscle car, which sat on top of the food chain eating GTOs, Chargers, Challengers, 'Cudas, Chevelles, Camaros and Mustangs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just the kit we need for keeping the tablecloths of America's contest tables free from tire burns! In fact, anyone who collects and/or builds muscle car kits must have at least one, just to keep his collection intact.

3) Design of the kit & tool:
Finding a pristine example will not be a problem in this case, because Hemmings "Muscle Car Machines" Magazine recently did a restoration feature on one. Likewise for someone to measure and photograph it, because it's in Tom Montgomery's (Former Amt/Ertl kit designer) back yard!
Body: Four-door body of course with fine and sharp engraving (Don't you love the window surrounds on a late 60s Jo-Han annual?) and without heavy molded-in features. For example, a dome light which can lead to a sink mark in the roof, which the modeler has to fill and sand. Small ridges and holes where to drill in the roof for roof mounted emergency lights will do. 
Because this car has seen service in many agencies, it would be handy to either offer the side moldings as separate metal transfer pieces (like Galaxie LTD's 1948 Chevrolets). This may not be feasible and could be a possible giveback when running into budget issues, but since it's a thin molding to begin with, it probably can be sanded off with relative ease when molded-in. 
The body closings will only consist of the hood dressed up with a separate lip* and hinges, in case the builder wants to show off the engine. 
The following items round up the body assembly: firewall, inner fenders (as with Amt '68 RR), radiator brace, side mirror(s)*, door handles*, front bumper* with separate grille* (to ease the detail painting) with clear headlamp lenses, rear bumper*, tail lamp-surrounds* with a perimeter flange to reinforce them and provide a gluing surface to mount them into the body and provide a stop for the rear bumper, and clear tail lamp-lenses of course (* indicates chrome part).
Interior: The plain-Jane base level trim all around interior, would be a sort of snap-fit platform style, minimizing the risk of getting glue in unwanted places. 
Consisting of a floorboard with a two piece dash, steering wheel and column with molded-in selectors, separate pedals, two piece bench seat, separate rear seat with package tray (flashed over holes for mounting the two CHP flashers), separate door panels to allow for easy detailing. Police radio set-up for the transmission hump. It can be similar to the Jo-Han Plymouth set up, as that was very accurate. However, having separate pieces for the radio, siren control and switches would be great so that different set-ups can be configured by the builder. Two detailed microphones are needed; there was only one in the Jo-Han kit which was incorrect for the set-up.
Chassis and drivetrain: Breakdown similar to AMT's 1957 Chrysler 300 or their 1960 Galaxie kit, 440 4bbl (what else!) with Torqueflite 727 Auto Trans. This police engine was rated at 375 HP. Kit should include two air cleaners, one stock and one low restriction. The low restriction is the police unit, and is similar in design to the one in the Lindberg 1964 Dodge 330 kit. It's actually referred to in the Dodge literature as an "unsilenced" air cleaner. Separate chassis, heavy duty rear end, dual exhaust, and front and rear sway bars round out the chassis. Wheels: two sets...one needs to be correct steel wheels with dog dish hub caps of correct vintage. I'd include a base series full hubcap as an option for those doing a standard sedan. Tires need to be a beefy vintage blackwall, Goodyear Polyglas or similar. The ones AMT has been using for years are actually pretty good.
Accessories: Here's where it gets tricky. The Jo-Han Plymouth was actually a great kit for the roof lights alone. They were extremely accurate and looked the part. This kit should be done with that in mind, optional roof light set-up* for multiple agencies. Spotlights* for both sides are a must. Two styles of beacon lights, one like the Jo-Han, which is a Federal model 176H and one a flat top 4 beam (Federal 184, Dietz 211 or similar). The roof bar with twin beacons would be nice too. That's a Federal model 11, with optional chromed siren speaker in the center. I'd use the rounded speaker (like the speaker on the Adam-12 car) instead of the flat wide style in the Jo-Han kit. Since electronic sirens were just becoming popular, it would still need an old mechanical siren for under the hood as another option. To round it out, about six flashers of different sizes, 2 small, 2 medium, 2 larger, all single faced. These could be used for rear deck flashers, front grille flashers, optional light bar flashers, etc. 
Now the most important necessity for all of these lights: MOLD ALL OF THEM IN CLEAR PLASTIC. Not red, not blue, not a mix... CLEAR. This allows the builder to tint them accordingly to the agency that's being represented. 
The push bar would be a preformed pre-painted metal assembly, to keep it in scale and robust
Agency decals: I'm sure licensing and permissions are in order here. But it shouldn't be too bad, considering Hawk/Lindberg is issuing about 6 different state agencies in their reissue of the 1996 Crown Victoria. A CHP version is a must, this would negate the need for roof lights, too, as they ran most of these with no roof lights and dual spotlights, the driver's side being red. The CHP would also have two flashers, one red and one amber, on the back package shelf, both on the left side, facing rear. However, the 1969 Polaras were used all over the country, and offering different versions or including different agencies in the one kit (like the Jo-Han Plymouth) would be great, one thing will be certain the deacsl will be done by Cartograph of Italy.
About the tooling now, when planned and designed right, it canbe used for a plethora of C-body MoPar kits, from 1969 up to '77 as the chassis were virtually unchanged except for the yearly addition of annual emissions upgrades (or downgrades, if you will). 
Therefore the tooling lay-out isn't one big chunk of steel with removable inserts but a cluster of several and smaller tools 
A-Parts, Floorboard and chassis with suspension, axles & wheels.
B-Parts, Engine and accesoiries.
C Parts, Interior and body add-ons.
D-Plated parts.
E-Clear parts.
Tires
Taking this route, along the way one or more smaller tools in combination with others can be used in further siblings like for instance a '74 Monaco, one of the stars in the classic movie "the bluesbrothers", and seen in many many cop shows seen on TV like CHiPs, or a Gran' Monaco, remember Hill Street Blues?
4) Packaging and support
Boxart: I really like the way Sean Svendsen handled the Model King box designs of the '70 Wildcat and Camaro Funny Cars. He really knows how to present a built model, so I would put him in charge of that, but I also like the art work of Jairus Watson and know he would do a good job of a CHP unit burning sideways (showing off the "Wolfs Head" graphics on the door) through a sharp curve on Mulholland drive, in hot pursuit of some bad boys, Hmm...maybe I have to flip a coin 1f609.png;)
The size of the box would be like the "Accurate Miniatures" Corvette kits, to show off the artwork and the neatly displayed contents when removing the box top. 
Packaging of the parts: chrome, clear parts, tires, packed separately in poly bags, same for the white plastic parts, decals by Cartograph covered with a protective paper and bagged too. 
Instruction sheet: I like the approach AMT/ERTL took in the mid 1990s, which was very detailed and every part was clearly identified. 
Consumer support: On our company website I would post a whole range of photos taken when the engineers of product development were measuring up the cruiser, together with anecdotes, facts and fiction of the subject and the agency it served with. 
Also a photo composing as per instruction sheet sequence would be available on line together with tips on how to build a perfect model.

5) Budgetary constraints
I would lose the metal transfers, and engrave the side molding into the cavity of the body sides, is a too simple solution for the cash problem, therefore I would get in touch with a die cast manufacturer (like Highway 61) to see if the project is of interest to them too, because the majority of model car collectors are not modelers, if they're interested the R&D costs would drop considerably, and could start a long term partnership

6) Post a photo of the subject

79942-500-0@2x.jpg?rev=2
https://assets.hemmings.com/story.../79942-500-0@2x.jpg...
Courtesy of HMM
For more photo's of this beautiful restored vehicle, please check out the Hemmings Muscle Machines article via link below. 
https://www.hemmings.com/.../1969-Dodge.../1451907.html
Note: The book "Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler POLICE CARS, 1956-1978" by Edwin Sanow and John Bellah, Motorbooks International was used for reference.

Tom Sheehy & Luc Janssens

I agree regarding the 1969 "A38" Dodge Polara Pursuit . I've seen two restored examples , both CHP-spec models (complete with the CHP-exclusive , white rimmed steering wheel !) .

To build upon your proposal :

- 1974 Monaco / Fury Pursuit ( with 360 and 400 / 440 engines )

- 1977-1978 Monaco / Gran Fury  ( with 318 / 360 and 400 / 440 engines )

- 1993-1996 9C1 Caprice 

- 1998-2012 PPV Crown Victoria