Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

Junkman.......The Heller E Type.that you recommend I buy!......Been there......Done that .....Got the T shirt.     Another old kit from way back in the 80's that could have been better.  Still stand by my wish that Revell should re tool the E type in Germany this time and in 1/24th not 1/25th like the old offering. It is such an iconic car that with Revell in Germany could do a really good job of it now and bring it up to their current car kit standards. It surprises me that Tamiya have never done this subject.....but it would be very pricey, just like the Gunze and Haxsegawa kits. A re tooled Revell Germany offering would be a lot more affordable. SMTS made a white metal EType, fully detaled kit in 1/24th of which I have one. That will be a bit of a challenge if I build it.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I just want a solid, accurate 1969 Chevelle.

YES ! Personally , I'd like for it to be a 300 Deluxe Coupe with the SS option . More than likely , "whom-ever" is likely to produce a 1969 Chevelle would elect to model the hardtop / SS ( welcomed , but ... jeez , it'd be nice to have a 300 coupe -or- at least a COPO ).

On 12/01/2018 at 8:26 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Junkman.......The Heller E Type.that you recommend I buy!......Been there......Done that .....Got the T shirt.     Another old kit from way back in the 80's that could have been better.  Still stand by my wish that Revell should re tool the E type in Germany this time and in 1/24th not 1/25th like the old offering. It is such an iconic car that with Revell in Germany could do a really good job of it now and bring it up to their current car kit standards. It surprises me that Tamiya have never done this subject.....but it would be very pricey, just like the Gunze and Haxsegawa kits. A re tooled Revell Germany offering would be a lot more affordable. SMTS made a white metal EType, fully detaled kit in 1/24th of which I have one. That will be a bit of a challenge if I build it.

I agree that an orderly E-Type kit would be quite a no brainer, especially since there isn't anything worth writing home about in diecast either.
Since Revell.de also belongs to Hobbico, its future is anyone's guess, though. Also, knowing Revell, they will only do an E-Type after Tamiya and Hasegawa did.
Until then sadly the Heller is the only game in town, although, as you say correctly, it's quite less than perfect.

Revell.de has a proven track record of not producing kits of iconic cars, btw. Or don't you think their home country is awash with kittable iconic cars?

Edited by Junkman

On 12/01/2018 at 12:57 PM, 1972coronet said:

YES ! Personally , I'd like for it to be a 300 Deluxe Coupe with the SS option . More than likely , "whom-ever" is likely to produce a 1969 Chevelle would elect to model the hardtop / SS ( welcomed , but ... jeez , it'd be nice to have a 300 coupe -or- at least a COPO ).

Please include the Beaumont bits, bench and column change.

Edited by Junkman

I would like to see a 1950's type Austin FX3 London taxi, black cab, in 1:24 scale because this car is available in just about every other smaller scale. It is well known among scale model builders that the Revell 1:24 scale Austin FX4 London taxi is actually too large ( out of scale ) which is a real shame because generally I do like Revell kits.

David

That's right Christian, the FX4 taxi is closer to 1:20 than the 1:24 stated on the box, which you and I know does make a difference. Put that taxi next to a BIG car like the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud and the taxi just looks ridiculous.

Would like to see the older Routemaster bus like my conversion below, plus others like the Morris Minor Traveller, van or saloon, Ford Cortina MK1, Ford Anglia 105E as my profile name suggests, and something like the Jaguar MK 7 or MK 9......

David

100_8808.JPG

Unfortunately all these "I would like to see this kitted" forums end up the same way.....as a bottomless sinkhole of never gonna happen. There is a very talented pool of master modelers and resin casters out there willing to invest the hundreds of hours in creating masters for vehicles we could have never dreamed of having available to us a few years ago. A great example of that is the excellent looking Corvair Rampside pick up kit I see pictured lately. What we have to ask our selves is are we willing to spend the $ 70.00 it costs to buy vehicles like that? If the prices I see at most kit retailers are any indication of what to become of kit prices we are halfway there already. Maybe if we had to spend $ 70.00 a pop for every model kit we REALLY intended to build we would not all have shelves loaded to bursting strength with dozens or hundreds(you know who you are)that in all probability will never be built. Maybe we would all be a little more select in what we invest our disposable hobby income for.

This is all of course just my humble opinion.

35 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Unfortunately all these "I would like to see this kitted" forums end up the same way.....as a bottomless sinkhole of never gonna happen. There is a very talented pool of master modelers and resin casters out there willing to invest the hundreds of hours in creating masters for vehicles we could have never dreamed of having available to us a few years ago. A great example of that is the excellent looking Corvair Rampside pick up kit I see pictured lately. What we have to ask our selves is are we willing to spend the $ 70.00 it costs to buy vehicles like that? If the prices I see at most kit retailers are any indication of what to become of kit prices we are halfway there already. Maybe if we had to spend $ 70.00 a pop for every model kit we REALLY intended to build we would not all have shelves loaded to bursting strength with dozens or hundreds(you know who you are)that in all probability will never be built. Maybe we would all be a little more select in what we invest our disposable hobby income for.

I would spend $70.00 on the right kit.

Hell, I sometimes spend quite a bit more than that right now on a nice vintage kit.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't give a plug nickel on 90% of the ideas put forward on this thread.

That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

What kits would "ALL" of us, or at least most of us buy?

Steve

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

44 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I would spend $70.00 on the right kit.

Hell, I sometimes spend quite a bit more than that right now on a nice vintage kit.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't give a plug nickel on 90% of the ideas put forward on this thread.

That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

What kits would "ALL" of us, or at least most of us buy?

Steve

Very true, and as Steve said, there isn't much in this thread that even raises my eyebrow. 

The main factor is that just because one person says "I want a Blanky Blank Sportster", it doesn't mean EVERYONE wants one. 

You're never going to please everyone.  I have zero interest in rat rods, muscle cars, "annual" kits, or whatever generic malaisewagon your father had, but some people do, and good for them.

The question isn't whatever everyone will like, because it should be pretty obvious by now that everyone likes different things, and you can't please everyone.

The question is whether enough people want a Blankity Blank Sportster to justify the cost of putting it production.

I know there are a few who like to think they speak for all of us, but it practice, all you can do is let them know what you want, and maybe enough people will think it's a good idea.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

24 minutes ago, highway said:

Very true, and as Steve said, there isn't much in this thread that even raises my eyebrow. 

The main factor is that just because one person says "I want a Blanky Blank Sportster", it doesn't mean EVERYONE wants one. 

I think it would be interesting to require everyone who posts what they would like to see kitted in a thread like this, to add a poll to their post.

Would you, or would you not buy one.

That might actually give us a general idea what sorts of kits would be successful.

It might also give me an idea as to whether or not I should basically give up on the modern kit manufacturers to produce what I would like to see & just continue to seek out vintage annuals to build. ;)

Steve

Christian (alias Junkman)

Thanks for your responses to my E Type posts. I too have read about Hobbicraft. In reality I would think that Revell will carry on business as normal until this is sorted, and probably still carry on after under self or new ownership.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The question is whether enough people want a Blankity Blank Sportster to justify the cost of putting it production.

The way that model kit industry there comes across, nothing whatsoever justifies putting anything into production
and we shall be grateful for what they do put into production, because they do this at a great personal loss just to please us.

1 hour ago, Junkman said:

The way that model kit industry there comes across, nothing whatsoever justifies putting anything into production
and we shall be grateful for what they do put into production, because they do this at a great personal loss just to please us.

Yep, wanting anything other than what's already on the market is stupid, so we shouldn't bother.

Yet, as we've seen, personal taste does factor into what gets made into a kit, so I guess the reason I keep putting my two cents in on the off chance somebody slips up and thinks it's a good idea despite their superior judgement.  Am I wasting my time? Possibly, but it's my time to waste,and every once in a blue moon, somebody does slip up and offer a kit I want. 

Don't enjoy reading these threads?  It's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head, is it?

31 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Yep, wanting anything other than what's already on the market is stupid, so we shouldn't bother.

Yet, as we've seen, personal taste does factor into what gets made into a kit, so I guess the reason I keep putting my two cents in on the off chance somebody slips up and thinks it's a good idea despite their superior judgement.  Am I wasting my time? Possibly, but it's my time to waste,and every once in a blue moon, somebody does slip up and offer a kit I want. 

Don't enjoy reading these threads?  It's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head, is it?

Exactly.

I love to dream about non existing plastic kits. I find it a lot more fulfilling than the four decades of disappointment that kit industry managed to provide.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:57 AM, 1972coronet said:

I'd also like to see a nice '69 Chevelle (or, preferably, a family that could expand to the '68 as well). But if Revell did it, based on their recent history, they'd manage to screw up the body in some eye-jarring and largely unfixable way. :angry:

Truth to tell, you can build a model of just about any kind of 2-door '69 Chevelle you can think of now. Yes, you will have to do some kitbashing and scratchbuilding and careful shopping of the aftermarket*, but it CAN be done if you want it bad enough. I'd rather see a new kit of something we don't have anything of, or anything similar. 

*In other words, some actual old-school MODELING as opposed to kit assembling. 

On 1/6/2018 at 5:04 PM, 57peppershaker said:

I wonder if the boss"s at Revell ect ever look at the numerous wish lists that we post ? I guess if they do, its put on a short list of a short list that may end up on a short list ? (Just like the Goverment lol)

Revell is very interested in what we want and what we have to say.  They have the best attendance of any model car manufacturer at NNL East, pretty much every year.  They set up with sneak previews of upcoming tools,  and they have a wish book on the table for people to add their ideas.  Most important Ed Sexton is there to talk with everyone.  With some of the new kits they've tooled in the past few years, yes they are very into bringing out interesting subject matter.  Past that it's up to us collectively to vote with our wallets to prove them right.

Note that Scale Auto did an annual kit idea poll back in the pre-internet days.  We all mailed our thoughts in on the provided postcards and they'd publish the annual top ten wish list.  Looking back on these lists today, it's very interesting to see that most of the kits we wanted were produced.  So yes, the manufacturers do listen.