Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

How about bringing back some of the kits from the last 15 years or so?

40 Standard Ford

48 Custom Ford

57 "Black Widow"

57 Ford

Willys Stone Woods Coupe

You know traditional hot rod fodder?

And maybe a 32 Ford with a rear crossmember?

For that matter, some of the 60s subjects would be nice besides the Camaro. 

I know you have 3d scanners for tooling, I saw your mock up of the Boss 302 how cool is that?

I know...but it's frustrating coming back to this hobby and seeing everything out of production. 

Edited by Calb56
Forgot Willys

On 8/25/2022 at 3:00 PM, Mike C. said:

1970 Formula Firebird. Enough with all the Tarns Ams already. The Trans Am wasn't the only Firebird in 1970. A hood tach would be nice too.

used-1970-pontiac-firebird_formula_400--180-19953448-2-1024.jpg

Oh man that Firebird would be great as a model..What an incredible car anyway.I love that Pontiac hood,my favorite of all the TAs,and Firebirds.

Agree; but when you talk about 'sixties stuff, my orientation is very early (pre-Moostang) 'sixties, and that's getting less likely every day!  Still, I guess that's why I hung onto my 'barn find' kits, huh?  So many are promo/curbside, and take a lot of work and parts scrounging -- possible only because of MCM forum members generosity!  I just forgot I was working with a '61 JoHan, and cracked that egg-shell styrene; more work!  That's why I never work smaller than 1:25 models!  Ole' Wick

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Oh man that Firebird would be great as a model..What an incredible car anyway.I love that Pontiac hood,my favorite of all the TAs,and Firebirds.

Go to the work in progress section.  I'm building the exact one from a Revell Trans Am kit.

I have 1/32 copies of the Lola GT Mk6 and would love to see it in a full detail 1/25 scale, also the Lotus 23C like Elvis drove in "Viva Las Vegas" (must include an Ann Margaret in white bikini model).  I have images saved somewhere in this computer but cannot find them to upload - give me XP back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reegs said:

"give me XP back."

1 hour ago, Reegs said:

I could always find everything with XP.

But then they made it better.

Oh, yes! With Vista! I was unfortunate enough to have bought a computer with that on it. Wow. What a memory hog! I bought a computer a little over five years ago with XP, just so I could run programs I use for modeling--CAD and making decal art--that don't run on 64 bit systems. Anyway, I think XP was MS's best operating system.

• Like 2

I must confess to being too lazy to wade back through 29 pages, but, in case no-one else has said it, what about a 1934 Chevy?  Go to any hot rod event in Australia, Canada or the USA and you see a bunch of them. Not sure if the 37-39 versions would edge them out in total popularity but I suspect the 34 would win.  All those real car owners would probably like a model of their car, even if they never built it! 

Using the modern kit design requirements of multi version tooling, you could do a chopped 3W, stock height 5 window coupe, a roadster, a Tudor and a Sedan Delivery.  The sedan delivery could be sold as a 2-1, to do a paddy wagon or fire & rescue van, appeasing another segment of our hobby, with stock running gear.  The stock chassis would be a straight swap for a modern tube cross membered version for street rods in the other body styles.  Or the 5 window coupe could get a stock chassis with a straight tube front axle for the gasser crowd.

I am pretty seriously into collecting and to the best of my knowledge there is a small, funky 1/43rd diecast delivery from Minichamps, a Chinese r/c plastic knockoff of that same model, a recent Matchbox 1/64th scale diecast 5 window and a mega expensive and I suspect unobtainable diecast Mint model.  Fred's Resin Workshop did a resin 34 3 window short track body of which I have two but it would take a lot of work to build anything like a stock bodied car.

That's it!  For a very popular revered full-sized car, as evidenced by the amount of fibreglass reproduction bodies on the market, the model world shows little love. Which means there is an unfulfilled demand for such a model.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

Alan

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on this thread, and I don’t know if anybody has brought this one up or not? I would love to see someone offer a kit of a GMC motorhome from the 70’s. Preferably the 26 footer. I doubt that this would ever be a big enough seller to justify the costs. So I’m not holding my breath waiting for that one. 

E63B31EB-E122-472F-84AA-18F765F1FA88.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 2

With the advent of 3D printing and the equipment becoming far more affordable than before, we may be able to print whatever we want soon. We have to remember that it is very expensive for a model company to do the research and create molds, marketing and advertising plus turn a profit.  

I have a model of the GMC Motorhome as pictured.  It was done as a Hess Training Van (1/25 or 1/24) as shown in attached pics.  There are many available on eBay in a wide price range.  A big problem with this model is that it is depicted with rear wheel drive, the actual GMC Motorhome is front wheel drive utilizing an Oldsmobile engine.  Early in my engineering career I worked for a company that bought one of these for use in customer entertainment activity and was able to use it often, even for family vacations.  A great handling vehicle on the highways.

There is a post on this site from several years ago "GMC Motorhome (Hess)" that shows extensive modifications and updates to one of these Hess models.  The author cut the model open, removed the Hess training interior, and built and installed replicas of the standard interior components found on the GMC iteration of a motorhome (dinette, kitchen, table and couches, shower, bed, etc.).  A very impressive finished project!   

GMC Motorhome 1.JPG

GMC Motorhome 2.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, modelercarl said:

I have a model of the GMC Motorhome as pictured.  It was done as a Hess Training Van (1/25 or 1/24) as shown in attached pics.  There are many available on eBay in a wide price range.  A big problem with this model is that it is depicted with rear wheel drive, the actual GMC Motorhome is front wheel drive utilizing an Oldsmobile engine.  Early in my engineering career I worked for a company that bought one of these for use in customer entertainment activity and was able to use it often, even for family vacations.  A great handling vehicle on the highways.

There is a post on this site from several years ago "GMC Motorhome (Hess)" that shows extensive modifications and updates to one of these Hess models.  The author cut the model open, removed the Hess training interior, and built and installed replicas of the standard interior components found on the GMC iteration of a motorhome (dinette, kitchen, table and couches, shower, bed, etc.).  A very impressive finished project!   

GMC Motorhome 1.JPG

GMC Motorhome 2.JPG

Yea, I’m aware of Hess Training Vans. I’ve thought about picking one up. But, there’s something about that keeps from doing it. Price. Condition. Interior configuration. A variety of things keep from adding one to my collection. They just don’t seem quite right to me. I’d like a dedicated, true motorhome version. 

Round 2 corp’s biggest excuse for not reassuring the 71–72 MPC Plymouth Road Runner kit Is that sometime along the way the tooling was damaged, there’s nothing they can do about it and they can’t retool the missing pieces      

https://www.round2corp.com/new-tooling/#MK

Scroll down to the new models.  Round 2 tools new stuff all the time  

I don’t understand it. I was talking to the owner of a hobby store in Barre, Vermont (of all places). We talked about the 71–72 MPC Plymouth Road Runner kit.  He told me flat out that kit is hot and everyone comes in the store looking for it. And he himself can’t understand why they don’t just re-tool the damaged parts and re-issue it (Especially when it’s obvious they tool new stuff all the time). 

And so, I have to ask:

What is your problem with this kit Round 2?!  Seriously, tell me, what is your problem with this kit? Does somebody at corporate just not like it? Tooling damaged? So what? Can’t use that excuse. You guys are tooling up new stuff all the time, yet you can’t tool up a few new parts for a kit where you already have 75% of the components? Really?!

Unbelievable. Well, I guess you can just re-issue the 74 Road Runner kit again for the umpteenth time.  Put it in a brand new fancy metal box or something. Why not? Nice and easy.

Edited by drksd4848

2 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Round 2 corp’s biggest excuse for not reassuring the 71–72 MPC Plymouth Road Runner kit Is that sometime along the way the tooling was damaged, there’s nothing they can do about it and they can’t retool the missing pieces      

https://www.round2corp.com/new-tooling/#MK

Scroll down to the new models.  Round 2 tools new stuff all the time  

I don’t understand it. I was talking to the owner of a hobby store in Barre, Vermont (of all places). We talked about the 71–72 MPC Plymouth Road Runner kit.  He told me flat out that kit is hot and everyone comes in the store looking for it. And he himself can’t understand why they don’t just re-tool the damaged parts and re-issue it (Especially when it’s obvious they tool new stuff all the time). 

And so, I have to ask:

What is your problem with this kit Round 2?!  Seriously, tell me, what is your problem with this kit? Does somebody at corporate just not like it? Tooling damaged? So what? Can’t use that excuse. You guys are tooling up new stuff all the time, yet you can’t tool up a few new parts for a kit where you already have 75% of the components? Really?!

Unbelievable. Well, I guess you can just re-issue the 74 Road Runner kit again for the umpteenth time.  Put it in a brand new fancy metal box or something. Why not? Nice and easy.

Do you need a '72 Road Runner kit? 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Do you need a '72 Road Runner kit? 

Sure! Who doesn’t need one?

Honestly, I’ve wanted one since I was five and to be honest I didn’t even know this kit existed until I was in my 20s. (I knew about the 71 reissue in the early 90s. I had a few of those when I was a kid)  If they finally re-issued ‘72 I’d probably buy about 10 of them. I know that originals can be found here and there, but I can’t justify paying 200 to 300 some odd dollars for a model kit.

Hence, they should just re-issue the damn thing. Seems like they re-issued just about everything else. It wouldn’t be hard. They already have the majority of the pieces from the 74 kit  

Instead, they keep beating that ‘74 Road Runner into the ground.  It was cool when they reissued that one the first 10 times.  There’s also that 1980 Volare Road Runner kit that came out of nowhere. Where’d they get the tooling for that one?  And yet, they stubbornly refuse to re-issue that 71–72 kit.

Edited by drksd4848

Maybe Round2 feels they can't make a profit on the '71-'72 Road Runner. If the molds are too damaged and they would have to start over, they probably couldn't. I'd like for Round2 to reissue the unibody Ford pickups. But, just because that's what want, doesn’t mean Round2 could make a profit on it. Just like anything else, if you want it bad enough, you'll pay for it. If you don't, you'll do without. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 8:38 AM, unclescott58 said:

I would love to see someone offer a kit of a GMC motorhome from the 70’s. Preferably the 26 footer.

IF anyone ever made that, it should include all parts and markings to build as the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle from the movie "Stripes".

• Haha 1