Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

On 9/7/2022 at 3:12 PM, pack rat said:

If they're so tone deaf, why are they bringing back the '68 Coronet?....don't tell me nobody was clamoring for that one.

Before the Coronet was announced I'm sure somebody was out there banging their head against the wall because Round2 wasn't reissuing their beloved '68 Coronet. 

If they do bring a '71/'72 Road Runner back someone else will take you place because they've been bugging Round2 for years for some other oldie.....because, of course they've consulted with their buddies, looked at the message boards, ebay etc. and they all know Round2 will be rolling in dough if they would just listen.

Round2 knows their market better than any of us do (btw-they sell alot of kits to people who don't know this site exists).  There are guys out there still buying '69 Chargers, '67 GTO's etc.    

Sure, a '72 RR would be a cool kit to see on the shelves again, and if it doesn't happen,  I'm sure they'll have their reasons, not "because they really don't want to".       

Actually, I was one those that was banging his head against the wall because Round 2 wasn't reissuing the 68 Coronet.  For years, I was mailing letters and emailing Round 2 requesting for them to release the 68 Coronet kit.  I also,  was from time to time, bringing this topic up to stir interest on this kit subject.  I agree with the fact, it's not because they don't want to, but I think maybe the feasability years ago wasn't there because of the cost to redo tooling and or redo masters.  Now it's feasable.  3d prototyping, the ability of re-engineering  kits is making these lost oldies come back to production .  Am I wrong or right?  I don't know.  But, that's the direction Round is taking now.  What's happened now within the last year or two; 2 64 Cutlass kits (a convertible and hardtop), 63 Chevy ll wagon and another 63 Chevy ll wagon with trailer kits.  My gut feeling says we'll  see other surprises coming down the line of subjects that builders will be doing back flips over when they are announced.  Round has recognized that their builder market is into the early 60's to early 70's subjects.  Great news for most of us.  Lets continue supporting Round 2 by buying their kits and emailing them our requests.   They see this message board.  They do listen.  A couple members here consult with them and we truly appreciate that support.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

Actually, I was one those that was banging his head against the wall because Round 2 wasn't reissuing the 68 Coronet.  For years, I was mailing letters and emailing Round 2 requesting for them to release the 68 Coronet kit.  I also,  was from time to time, bringing this topic up to stir interest on this kit subject.  I agree with the fact, it's not because they don't want to, but I think maybe the feasability years ago wasn't there because of the cost to redo tooling and or redo masters.  Now it's feasable.  3d prototyping, the ability of re-engineering  kits is making these lost oldies come back to production .  Am I wrong or right?  I don't know.  But, that's the direction Round is taking now.  What's happened now within the last year or two; 2 64 Cutlass kits (a convertible and hardtop), 63 Chevy ll wagon and another 63 Chevy ll wagon with trailer kits.  My gut feeling says we'll  see other surprises coming down the line of subjects that builders will be doing back flips over when they are announced.  Round has recognized that their builder market is into the early 60's to early 70's subjects.  Great news for most of us.  Lets continue supporting Round 2 by buying their kits and emailing them our requests.   They see this message board.  They do listen.  A couple members here consult with them and we truly appreciate that support.

Well, I sure hope they do listen, but I’m skeptical. I’ve sent them multiple emails before requesting the 71-72 RR kit, but the only thing I would get in return would be some boilerplate corporate response: “…Not in our plans, but we will forward your email to the <round file>”  Trust me, I have supported them and continue to support them plenty. I just bought two Round 2 kits the other day, not to mention a few Johnny lightning’s as well.  They get plenty of my money.

Edited by drksd4848

20 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

Well, I sure hope they do listen, but I’m skeptical. I’ve sent them multiple emails before requesting the 71-72 RR kit, but the only thing I would get in return would be some boilerplate corporate response: “…Not in our plans, but we will forward your email to the <round file>”  Trust me, I have supported them and continue to support them plenty. I just bought two Round 2 kits the other day, not to mention a few Johnny lightning’s as well.  They get plenty of my money.

Don't lose hope.  Keep letting Round 2 know of your request.

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

Don't forget the COE International Transtar and the Garwood garbage truck. There's also the new Charger and Bronco coming. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Don't forget the COE International Transtar and the Garwood garbage truck. There's also the new Charger and Bronco coming. 

I saw the pics of those too.  Lot of good stuff coming out.  Wes's Model Car Corner should be getting the Garbage truck at the end of this week,

1 hour ago, drksd4848 said:

Well, I sure hope they do listen, but I’m skeptical. I’ve sent them multiple emails before requesting the 71-72 RR kit, but the only thing I would get in return would be some boilerplate corporate response: “…Not in our plans, but we will forward your email to the <round file>”  

What kind of response were you expecting??

Do you want them to tell you they're going to rearrange all of their future plans and get on it right away because they had no idea there was any demand for a 71/72 RR until you clued them in?

If they do have visions of investigating a reissue in the future, do you expect them to go over all of their future plans with you?

I've worked with Round2 for quite a few years.  They know what kits "we" would like to see on the shelves again (like the '68 Coronet).  The '71/'72 RR is just one of them.   For what it's worth, I have a particular subject I've been hinting at (via email and in-person) for years, but I haven't seen any indication that it's in their plans.  If it never appears I'm sure they have their reasons.....I'm not going to get upset over it. 

,,,,and I have mentioned the RR (among many others) to them as well.

Edited by pack rat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pack rat said:

What kind of response were you expecting??

I dunno, maybe something personable. Like this:

Dear customer, 

We have received your request and would like you to know that we can’t understand why you would want to build a model of that malaise era piece of crud. The 71–72 Plymouth B body was the fugliest thing to ever roll off a Detroit assembly line.  What’s even more offensive is knowing that you would want to bulid a car model with that smog choked, gutless 400 4bbl under the hood; everyone here knows that the 383 with the steel crank and no EGR pump was a far superior motor and so we question the intelligence of anyone who could find that 1972  Virgil Exner anal baby remotely desirable.  Did you know? The reason why those cars are rare in real life is because they started rotting as soon as they left the show room floor. In fact, we built a mock up of that Slo-Par piece of poo with the original tooling - the tooling was never damaged by the way; we just made that up to get dumb dumbs like you to leave us alone - and it fell apart as soon as we finished it!  Just like in real life!  So, customer, we would like to let you know that we took the tooling out back and set it on fire to make sure no one could ever assemble a copy of this rolling garbage can and scar the scale modeling world forever.  We appreciate that you’ve spent lots of money on our products in the past, but to be honest keep your money from now on and see if you can buy some intelligence with it.  It would be a better investment for us if we built new tooling to release a model of a rusted out Subaru Brat. At least the Brat would run in real life.  

Sincerely,

Round 2

I could respect a response like that. 

Edited by drksd4848
  • Haha 1

Gees, I've always LOVED that car!  Some history, too.  I'd feel more empathetic for Virgil Exner if he hadn't styled those Excessmobiles in the mid 'sixties: Mercer Cobra, Deusie, Pierce, etc.  He encouraged guys like Clenet...  The malaise era wasn't bad enough!  Did anyone, as far as that goes, ever make a kit of the XNR?  I'd buy it! 

Like the Stude Hawk GT (1:1) I once had; not a superb car, but it sure dressed up my driveway!  Sold it in '78 for $2k, now for sale by same buyer for $20K.  Wick

10 hours ago, Belairconvertable said:

An acura/Honda integra sedan. There's plenty of integra coupe models out there, but the sedan is more rare and more cool in my opinion. 

Glad I'm not the only one who would like to see an Integra sedan; I still miss my '94.  

59 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Glad I'm not the only one who would like to see an Integra sedan; I still miss my '94.  

Speaking of Acuras, I'd love to see a Legend coupe, either generation.  My sister had a first gen in gold like the gold one below, I drove it occasionally years ago, was a sweet car...and I like the 2nd gen also..

1988-acura-legend-coupe.jpg.webp

rare-rides-a-1989-acura-legend-coupe-luxury-with-five-speeds.jpg.webp

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I think that was just the Buick, though the Tempest did have half-a-V8 slant four

The aluminum V8 was developed by Buick. The the aluminum engine was also used in in the F-85. But, using Oldsmobile designed heads. Besides the standard half of a V8/4, the aluminum V8 was also a rarely seen as option in the Tempest in ‘61 and ‘62. The version, when seen in the Tempest, used the Buick heads. The aluminum V8 was standard on Buick Special/Skylark and F-85/Cutlass for 1961. The Buick V6 was added to the Buick compact for ‘62. And in ‘63 Pontiac replaced the aluminum V8 option with their own cast iron 326 V8 for ‘63. Buick and Olds dropped the aluminum V8s, going to cast iron V8s, when their compacts were redesigned into intermediate size cars for ‘64. The tooling for the aluminum V8 was then sold to Rover in England, and was offered in various British vehicles until the early 1990s.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:35 AM, drksd4848 said:

Wow, this really was an annual:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134220936334?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Those reissues really kill the resale value of the originals. 

BTW how about they reissue this one: (However, even I know the odds are pretty slim so I wouldn’t bang the door down for it)

spacer.png

I had the original release!

F906A264-6D0F-4906-92AD-7A9E38D4160A.jpeg

128333A8-7216-4D90-9FEE-E6E8D0369D86.jpeg
I’m pretty sure that was a Johan release. Who has the rights to that tooling?

Your right. The Oldsmobile F-85 was released by JoHan. 

I’m still waiting for the 1950 (or was it ‘51?) Studebaker that Ertl told they were developing back in the 1990’s. I’d prefer it be a ‘51, because that’s the year Studebaker introduced their V8 in their Commander models. And I had hope it would be a Starlight coupe version, with the wrap around rear window. 

2AE95F21-3237-44EA-8925-B00A0EAC1B0D.jpeg

48C17D95-1D9F-488C-A51B-CDC6387CAE85.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58

B-O-P/Rover V8 was actually used in US P38 Range Rovers thru 2002. At the end, it was 4.0L in SE, 4.6L in HSE. Wife had 97 HSE, a 2000 Callaway 4.6 (tweaked by Callaway, official model), and a 2002 4.6 Rhino edition. 
Decent motor, did well off-road. 
40 years of varied use. 

Edited by keyser

22 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Been a while since I posted in this tread.....so I'm adding this one to the pile ;)

blob?bcid=RL0ato42yKIEqxcxoNWLuD9SqbotqVTdP0s

Photo taken from a FB group and was posted there by Michael Catalano.

Facebook

No not the Mustang, I'm talking the CHP Polara :D

Cheers!

1969 Polara CHP was the quickest and fastest pursuit vehicle until 1992! 

It would appear that the fellows with the Street Freak Mustang are getting the third degree over the non-stock suspension and the resultant "too tall" front lift (obstructed view). Just as likely, loud exhaust, too.

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Been a while since I posted in this tread.....so I'm adding this one ;)

Photo taken from a FB group and was posted there by Michael Catalano.

Facebook

No not the Mustang, I'm talking the CHP Polara :D

Cheers!

chpMONACO.jpg

That was a "PVI lane"-Private Vehicle Inspection.  They ended its use just before I came on the CHP in 1978.  My eye notices that the officers are wearing coveralls rather than the regular uniform, even the one with the "bus driver" hat.  The Mustang is getting a light inspection (including a brake light because the owner is likely pushing the brake pedal)  and the third officer is checking to see if the Mustang is a stallion or a gelding 😁.  They would deploy to an area other than their own for 3-4 days at a time and the state would pick up the hotel bills/per diem.  The old guys told many a story about shenanigans they got into off duty.

Edited by The Junkman
  • Like 1

I'm no expert on the BOP aluminum V-8s, but I thought the Olds had an extra head bolt for each cylinder from the git-go; si?  Probably anticipating the little turbocharger that they brought on line.  Wasn't that the block that Aussie REPCO adapted for their F1 racers, also?  Pontiac didn't sell enough of them to justify the V-8 service section of the Tempest shop manuals for '61-2; less than two percent either year.  My old man considered a Tempest V-8 wagon for the family, but decided 'what the hell; if I'm getting a V-8, might as well buy the '62 Catalina" which he did.  A V-8 LeMans coupe was just offered via the Little Indians Club grapevine for reasonable money, but unrestored.

The late (?) tech editor of HRM got the B and P '215' mixed up with the Olds -- in print!  See, it isn't only poor old' MCM that I fact-check on engine stuff!  Wick  

4 minutes ago, W Humble said:

I'm no expert on the BOP aluminum V-8s, but I thought the Olds had an extra head bolt for each cylinder from the git-go; si?  Probably anticipating the little turbocharger that they brought on line.  Wasn't that the block that Aussie REPCO adapted for their F1 racers, also?  Pontiac didn't sell enough of them to justify the V-8 service section of the Tempest shop manuals for '61-2; less than two percent either year.  My old man considered a Tempest V-8 wagon for the family, but decided 'what the hell; if I'm getting a V-8, might as well buy the '62 Catalina" which he did.  A V-8 LeMans coupe was just offered via the Little Indians Club grapevine for reasonable money, but unrestored.

The late (?) tech editor of HRM got the B and P '215' mixed up with the Olds -- in print!  See, it isn't only poor old' MCM that I fact-check on engine stuff!  Wick  

the bop v8 got sold to british leyland who used it in the rover sd1, p5, range and land rovers up until ford bought range rover. its was used in a lot of sports cars too, from the caterham 7 up to the lotus esprit. theres even a special drag arce class for them over here and some run in the 6s