Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for old Ed Newton street rod sketches. Rod/F-1 hybrid

They were in a magazine from around 1970 (I think). The car was mid engine with wild exhaust pipes. I think one was a hybrid with Indycar and model T or A styling. 

If any of this sounds familiar, I would love to see the sketches or find out what magazine to look for. 

Thank you. Lee

Seems like a lot of Ed Newton stuff on pinterest. I remember the car, there were a couple Larivee cars at the time with transverse DFV in pointy nosed winged turtledeck. IIRC it was Oakland winner. A start hopefully

This isn't the car I'm thinking of but Ed based a couple things on this one. The real one reminds me of the Monogram Trick T , shorter nose, sort of, is that what you're thinking of?

CCC-Dzemske-1989-oakland-roadster-show-05.jpg

Edited by keyser

I'm also thinking it was in Rod & Custom.

I'm going by memory, but I think one car was a  coupe with mid engine and wild exhaust. Rear view of car. Another was a T or A roadster mixed with Indycar. It's entirely possible that my memory has added details that I would like to see. I do think a '26/'27 T roadster morphed with an Indycar; mid engine, bundle of snakes exhaust, side mounted radiators, would be pretty wild.

That show car is not what i was thinking of, but I do like it. I saw it at Dallas Autorama about 30 years ago. 

No. What I saw were sketches, probably from around 1970. The car in that photo may have been inspired by the old drawings, but it's tough to say. I'm going by memory, and my mind may have changed some of the details.

I know the exact sketches you are talking about. I have that issue. It was earl70s Rod &Custom. I think I can dig that one out and scan it. Those were awesome sketches! I love Ed newton's Stuff. I got to master the Triclopz, Mercohaulic and Rareflow for Jimmy Flintstone's Testors kits and those were Ed's designs. I got to talk to him once about them. He seemed like a real cool guy. Then Hot Wheels put them out.

No, no, no. I'm not talking about the Ice Truck. I am a huge fan of it, but...(clicks on link)...WHOA! Somebody built that F-1/Model T in real life!?! I had no idea! Will definitely check it out on the home computer. That. Is. Wild. I'm glad I posted this. LOTS of great info in this thread. Thank you, gentlemen.

Thank you all for your help. I ordered that August 1970 R&C. The sketch I was thinking about is in there, not quite the same as I remember, but still pretty wild. 

Thanks also for other info like the link to a real world version of that car.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 11:32 PM, LDO said:

I'm also thinking it was in Rod & Custom.

I'm going by memory, but I think one car was a  coupe with mid engine and wild exhaust. Rear view of car. Another was a T or A roadster mixed with Indycar. It's entirely possible that my memory has added details that I would like to see. I do think a '26/'27 T roadster morphed with an Indycar; mid engine, bundle of snakes exhaust, side mounted radiators, would be pretty wild.

That show car is not what i was thinking of, but I do like it. I saw it at Dallas Autorama about 30 years ago. 

Maybe it's this one, called the Backburner:

backburner_04_-_Kopie.jpg

Edited by hobbybobby

The sketches I was thinking of were in the August 1970 Rod & Custom, as Casey suggested. I mail ordered a copy. It's a pretty wild looking car. It would make a great model project, or even a real car. 

Rick Dobbertin (Yes, the Pontiac J2000 guy) is making parts to mate a Corvette transaxle to a Chevy LS engine, along with suspension. It could be done with mail order parts in real life, without having to spend big bucks on a Hewland transaxle or engineering and building new suspension. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 6:03 PM, Dirty Dave said:

The drawings you're looking for, and the actual chassis for the car as it was being built are all available to see on Dan Woods' Instagram page here: Dan Woods

Does anyone have any information on the Model T/F1 hybrid car under construction in that Instagram link? I couldn't get any information with a right click. It looks pretty wild. Wondering if it ever got finished.

Thanks. Lee

I wish I had magazines going back that far. I tried searching the internet but I am obviously using the wrong terms. I can't right-click at Instagram and have google search for that photo to gather more information.

It would make a cool model, but it would also be a way to have a wild roadster with leg room. Something that could be driven on long rod runs (if it would be allowed to join in. I know it doesn't fit into standard categories for hot rods).