Model Cars Magazine Forum

ACME auto (update 3/7/2018

426 pack

Here is ACME AUTO 

So far it's just mocked up using sheet styrene but I will use fome board or something like that for the actual project. It is 12" deep X 21"wide X 10" tall.

i also have an old tamiya diorama garage that I will use for the tools and other little nick nacks.

I will be doing some scratch building to hopefully so I will probably be asking a lot of questions and it will take some time as I haven't done anything like this before.

let me know what you think so far and if you have biult something like this I would love to see some pics for inspiration.

The cars are just there for size reference 

image.jpg

Edited by 426 pack

Looks like you have made a good start Cale, and like me this is your first diorama. I find the scratch building part of the whole process very satisfying. The main building in my diorama is constructed from balsa wood, plywood and other hardwoods, but only recently I am doing more work with foam board, which is an excellent material to work with. You can have a look at the Hooper & Co 1958 diorama if you like and mine is 36" wide x 31" deep x 15" tall.

I shall watch your progress with interest!

David J. Watson

Thanks David I have looked at your diorama multiple times and it look great. 

I got the foam board and I am able to make the diorama bigger so the new dimensions will be 24", wide 15" deep and 10" tall. I will be using some sort of wood for the base and I am unsure what to use the little 6x10 chunk on the corner of the foam board maybe an office or a parts storage up above the shop?? Let me know what you guys think.

image.jpg

Edited by 426 pack

Office would be good in that small space, but you will need storage for parts also. You have a fair amount of space in which to work now, so ideas can can keep evolving as you go. The whole thing will come alive at some point you will find, and things just naturally get added because you see the need for them. I don't see any reason why the project should end, which means you can never say it's finished!

David

Thanks dumpy dan. 

I was thinking ACME auto needs a shop truck and I have two vehicles that would work.

1-1971 ford f100 with a 7.3L powerstroke diesel dually.

2-1969 dodge charge el-camino with a 426 HEMI and prostreet tires.

let me know what you think would be the best shop truck.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, landman said:

I like this. Did you make the trunk couch? My shop needs one too.

Thanks and yes I did make the couch out of a Superbird back ended and 69 Nova seat. I started building it about 2 years ago but I have not figured out what colour to paint it. 

D4273EF6-5DD4-4DDD-A41A-98C0A8774728.jpeg