Model Cars Magazine Forum

New-'Stalgia '29 Roadster Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

Today I made a trip to the hobby shop for supplies and found that they still had a couple of the discontinued Revell '29 Roadsters on the shelf. Armed with a $50 bill that my MIL gave me for my birthday (today's my 38th!) I grabbed a roadster kit for parts - or so I thought. Got home and sat down at the bench but just didn't feel like working on my projects and ended up playing around with the roadster kit. The idea here is to make a "New-Stalgia" style rod, that being a combination of vintage and contemporary parts which is a very popular style today and what the roadster kit actually already is.

This is a very rough mock-up but the roadster will use the channeled frame and interior option and get mixed up with a bunch of parts from the sister '30 Coupe kit such as the basic Chevy small block engine/auto trans, Halibrand Sebring style knock-off wheels (a second pair modified to fit the big rear tires), the "aluminum" aircraft seats and dashboard with 5-gauge chrome panel. 

The car will sit much lower than the kit provided mile-high stance (channeled cars gotta be LOW to look right!) with front and rear axles from Revell's '32 Ford series. I will ditch the disk brakes and replace with early Ford drum plates and the '29 kits finned Buick drums all around.

The engine will keep its front timing cover/water pump, belt drive, alternator and headers but will get a Revell '57 Chevy Black Widow stock oil pan, Ed Roth Tweedy Pie chrome Chevrolet script valve covers and the Rochester fuel injection unit from the Black Widow. To tie in with the unit (mostly used on Corvette's) I will use a Revell '62 Corvette steering wheel. 

Playing with the idea of a track nose from the Revell Kurtis Midgets but it will get re-worked to be more in proportion with the rest of the car. 

2v2uy4nRzxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uy4nCLxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uy4qDnxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uy4qUGxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uy4qLjxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Comments welcome!

B)

This should make a great looking Roadster as you have described. Very good combination of parts for the engine. Just a thought since you're still in the mock up stage having to do with the seats. Being as you've  channeled the body this limits the interior space. The seats as mocked up look like the sides would hit someone about mid chest if you were driving. You may want to consider removing or reducing the seat tracks to get them down inside a little bit. I like the Salt Flat wheels and tires. Have you thought about colors yet or is it to soon.   

25 minutes ago, espo said:

This should make a great looking Roadster as you have described. Very good combination of parts for the engine. Just a thought since you're still in the mock up stage having to do with the seats. Being as you've  channeled the body this limits the interior space. The seats as mocked up look like the sides would hit someone about mid chest if you were driving. You may want to consider removing or reducing the seat tracks to get them down inside a little bit. I like the Salt Flat wheels and tires. Have you thought about colors yet or is it to soon.   

This is a super rough mock up so the seats are just there.  I plan to remove the mounting "tracks" and put them right on the floor. That will get the backs just below the body so they're tucked down in there. 

Haven't given much thought to color yet. I'm open to suggestions, though!

3 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

This is a super rough mock up so the seats are just there.  I plan to remove the mounting "tracks" and put them right on the floor. That will get the backs just below the body so they're tucked down in there. 

Haven't given much thought to color yet. I'm open to suggestions, though!

Are thinking Shinny or Primer or Distressed ? This week end I picked up a Tamiya Oxide Red Primer that I'm thinking for a future build. I had never seen it before and the can has all of the Tamiya markings but the only place you will see their name is in small letters giving their name as the distributer and no paint number so this may be something new in their line.  If you should go any type of a Primer this might be a thought.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Are thinking Shinny or Primer or Distressed ? This week end I picked up a Tamiya Oxide Red Primer that I'm thinking for a future build. I had never seen it before and the can has all of the Tamiya markings but the only place you will see their name is in small letters giving their name as the distributer and no paint number so this may be something new in their line.  If you should go any type of a Primer this might be a thought.

Definitely shiny. For what it costs to properly restore and tune '57 Rochester unit no one would ever put one on a primer or beater car! Haha. 

Actually, since responding last time I got to thinking that I like the way it looks white, so maybe Pearl White...

I like the Shinny paint idea better anyway. Just mentioned the Oxide Primer if that was what you were thinking. White would be a little different from what you usually see on a Roadster, but that's a good idea to make it standout. A Pearl White would seem almost Kustom. White, just like Black comes in many different shades so the opportunity to make your build standout are very interesting. Without getting carried away just a little hint of color that matches the interior color in some way can also give it a different appearance.