Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scion XB

Brizio

Months ago a member of the model club I belong, proposed a contest named "Ugly Duckling" or "Sow's Ear". The idea is to start with something "ugly" and transform it in something nice. The models accepted are Scion XB, Toyota BB and Nissan Cube. He had three XB and gave one to me. 

Here tho one I got.

19264696_1624362077598499_12913830475431

19388753_1624362054265168_69176497145012

After disassemble the car, I start to cut few parts.

24297231_1805585119476193_67937413458869

This could be interesting. As homely looking as the Scion XB may be it still isn't as bad looking as the Cube. Let the hate mail begin, but anything you do to either of these cars would be an improvement. What all do you have in mind for your build ?

42 minutes ago, Foxer said:

Cool idea

Thank you Mike!

12 minutes ago, espo said:

This could be interesting. As homely looking as the Scion XB may be it still isn't as bad looking as the Cube. Let the hate mail begin, but anything you do to either of these cars would be an improvement. What all do you have in mind for your build ?

Honestly I like the XB, also I like it better than the Cube. I drove for a while a 2009 XB and I was impressed, engine was very responsive and fast, handling also was pretty good. Pretty comfortable and plenty of room inside. Fun car to drive. My plan is to make it into a truck.

Just now, Brizio said:

Thank you Mike!

Honestly I like the XB, also I like it better than the Cube. I drove for a while a 2009 XB and I was impressed, engine was very responsive and fast, handling also was pretty good. Pretty comfortable and plenty of room inside. Fun car to drive. My plan is to make it into a truck.

Cool idea. I'd like to see that.

2 minutes ago, Impalow said:

Awesome!!!

Ive been wanting to build one of those... into one of these....for awhile now... 

c14035d484dc73c74d855f7047c3372b--hot-rod-trucks-pickup-trucks.jpg.abee44ee17fd4ab251f6807a1b3a2b36.jpg11766d1248045696-my-buddies-chopped-box-truck-b8.jpg.70736d3189fcd65d7813c47a1d065d37.jpg

I'm never going to get around to it...  not sure what you are planing, but these instantly came to mind.

That's what I have in mind. :) Those are so cool!

I also like the pickup idea. After seeing the pictures of the 1:1 truck conversions they look even more interesting. Great job on the conversion work on this. Are you going to keep its XB identity or make it look like a GM truck as shown in the photos ?  

12 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Very interesting, are you using JB Weld for the metal work?

No, just superglue. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

Cool stuff Briz

I'm watching this one !

Cheers

Thank you Bruce!

1 hour ago, espo said:

I also like the pickup idea. After seeing the pictures of the 1:1 truck conversions they look even more interesting. Great job on the conversion work on this. Are you going to keep its XB identity or make it look like a GM truck as shown in the photos ?  

I'm planning to make it like the one in the pictures, with the Chevy front and rear end. 

46 minutes ago, Mooneyzs said:

Brizio... this is going to be a killer build and I will be following along. I have a couple of the Tamiya bB kits and I plan to build one just like my 1:1 xB that is my daily driver

The Tamiya bB is curbside? The Maisto has opening doors only (driver/passenger and back). I wish it had the hood the open instead all the doors. :) Sweet car to drive! Thanks Chris!

7 minutes ago, El Caballo said:

Every time I see a Nissan Cube, they remind me of microwave ovens. :D

LOL! :) Here where I live there are more XB that Cube.

23 hours ago, Brizio said:

The Tamiya bB is curbside? The Maisto has opening doors only (driver/passenger and back). I wish it had the hood the open instead all the doors. :) Sweet car to drive! Thanks Chris!

Yes, the Tamiya bB kits is a curbside. Very cool with the opening doors. I was lucky enough to find another Tamiy kit that had the same wheels that I have on my xB. Although I wished that Tamiya would of added the spoiler in the kit. Guess I will have to scratch build one....lol. 

1 hour ago, Mooneyzs said:

Yes, the Tamiya bB kits is a curbside. Very cool with the opening doors. I was lucky enough to find another Tamiy kit that had the same wheels that I have on my xB. Although I wished that Tamiya would of added the spoiler in the kit. Guess I will have to scratch build one....lol. 

If you need the Maisto wheels let me know, I'm not planning to use them. The Maisto either does not have a spoiler, that's a easy task for you.