[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

    • Dave Ambrose

      General Usage   05/10/2017

      If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
Plashdaddy

Advice on finding a particular colour paint, or having it matched.

Recommended Posts

Hi, any paint experts out there know a brand / colour of paint like the body on this Chevy? I’ve looked at some Tamiya charts thinking I could try and mix something to replicate it, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I’m all ears!

Thanks

Plashdaddy

81C7CAD9-9439-49DC-86CA-97D1A5A8D71F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take the picture to your local auto parts store that supplies body shops and they can probably match it and put it in a spray can. A real store not auto zone .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another possibility is the craft paint section of a Michael's, A. C. Moore, or Hobby Lobby.  These paints are acrylic and are quite compatible with models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look up the model of the cars color offerings for that year "if it is a factory color" if it is have your local automotive paint store mix you a half pint in their cheapest base coat. Reduce that base coat with its reducer you will have to buy a qt but it will go a long way. Shoot it through your airbrush and clear with lacquer. Perfect match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BubbaBrown said:

take the picture to your local auto parts store that supplies body shops and they can probably match it and put it in a spray can. A real store not auto zone .

I had considered that, they did it for my mum’s Camry :)

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Another possibility is the craft paint section of a Michael's, A. C. Moore, or Hobby Lobby.  These paints are acrylic and are quite compatible with models.

I’m in Australia, I wish we had the hobby options you guys have!

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Look up the model of the cars color offerings for that year "if it is a factory color" if it is have your local automotive paint store mix you a half pint in their cheapest base coat. Reduce that base coat with its reducer you will have to buy a qt but it will go a long way. Shoot it through your airbrush and clear with lacquer. Perfect match.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upper color is India Ivory and lower color is Coral. The two-tone combination code is 629 with the upper color Ditzler code 8026 and the lower is 70573. These are the colors available for 1955 model year Chevrolet cars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult to tell the bottom color in the picture but, a common stock color combo for 56 is India ivory and sierra gold.

20171125_102646.jpg.b2e6be3dcd8fc9ccbae2ab786c9369a7.jpg

Edited by my66s55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wku88 said:

But that's a '56, if it makes any difference.

 

Yeah, it is. Funny thing about this is that this car, a '56 150 4 Dr. sedan, is missing the front trim normally found on the '56 150 4 doors. It doesn't look like it was even on it in the first place. '55 150 4 Dr. sedans didn't have any side trim. Plus, the lower color looks more like Coral than Sierra Gold. It might be that Aussie GM products of the time differed from the U.S. models in trim and colors offered. The India Ivory/Coral combination and '55-style trim options might have been still available for Australian-built Chevys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wku88 said:

But that's a '56, if it makes any difference.

 

And an Australian '56 at that.  The non-stock hub caps suggest the photo was taken well after the car was built...possible respray?  There's no side trim either...were the Australian cars assembled there that way, or imported and converted to right-hand drive?  Even if it's an original paint job, if the car was assembled there then the paint was probably sourced there too, to increase the local content.

I wouldn't go off of paint codes, I'd just try to match the color as closely as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark said:

And an Australian '56 at that.  The non-stock hub caps suggest the photo was taken well after the car was built...possible respray?  There's no side trim either...were the Australian cars assembled there that way, or imported and converted to right-hand drive?  Even if it's an original paint job, if the car was assembled there then the paint was probably sourced there too, to increase the local content.

I wouldn't go off of paint codes, I'd just try to match the color as closely as possible. 

And then there's noticeable color shift/fade in the old, old picture. I couldn't state with any degree of confidence whatsoever exactly WHAT color this car actually was back in the day, beyond something in the orange/coral/pinkish/yellowish family. (I.e., it's not a blue or a green far as I can tell.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Plashdaddy said:

Hi, any paint experts out there know a brand / colour of paint like the body on this Chevy? I’ve looked at some Tamiya charts thinking I could try and mix something to replicate it, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I’m all ears!

Thanks

Plashdaddy

81C7CAD9-9439-49DC-86CA-97D1A5A8D71F.jpeg

Was this your family's car at one time and just how much do you know about the background of the car?? My family had a '56 Chevrolet 210 Sedan. Looking at the picture, and I understand that some of what I'm seeing in the photo may just be a scratch or something, there looks to be 3 Trim mounting holes above the rear wheel opening and maybe on the drivers door. Was this car repainted or had body work done ? Maybe even a color change if it was repainted. The Trunk Emblem would indicate a 6 cylinder engine.  The Chrome Trim along the divide between the White top and the body color would have been present on a 210 model but not the 150, at least in the US. I know that many of the US based cars sold there at that time often used different colors and trim so it's hard to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lower looks like 1956 Chevrolet Navajo Tan Metallic to me. I did not see anything in the Tamiya chart that is close.

You might be able to get there by decanting Tamiya 89973 and adding decanted Tamiya 85090 until you reach the desired shade, then spray it out of a gun.

You can also make brown by mixing purple and yellow; blue and orange; or red and green. The last 2 pairs you can make from Tamiya metallics. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see anything on the chart that looks all that close to the color in the photo.

My guess would be that it's just a washed out or faded "Matador Red".

I'm sure that the color would be available at MCW.

 

 

Steve

 

image.png.cc26f72710c5ee2b24b151d2db69943e.png

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Plashdaddy said:

 

81C7CAD9-9439-49DC-86CA-97D1A5A8D71F.jpeg

I have tried to correct the red shift. This might be a better representation of the color. But no matter what, it is very hard to get an exact color from a photograph. There are just too many variables.  it does seem to look close to "coral" on US-made cars.

AussieChevy.jpeg.f9cfd0fcada5c22e3a2c9f15caf88865.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your replies!

History of the car is Australian 1956 Chevy 210 four door sedan. Pic is from about 1977 - 78. He’d just had it painted (hence the side trim hadn’t been put back on) it had a Blue Flame 6 and he put the hubcaps from his 1963 Bel Air on it. He owned it until his passing in 1987.

He wanted it blue, but his mate who painted it had some ‘free’ brown whatever colour it is, so it may have been a GM, fomoco or fence paint lol for all I know.

thanks again for all your replies.

PS. Don’t know where I can get a resin set of non-SS 63 caps do ya?

peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peteski said:

I have tried to correct the red shift. This might be a better representation of the color. But no matter what, it is very hard to get an exact color from a photograph. There are just too many variables.  it does seem to look close to "coral" on US-made cars.

AussieChevy.jpeg.f9cfd0fcada5c22e3a2c9f15caf88865.jpeg

That is an infinitely better representation of the colour, thank you I’ve saved that for my colour matching attempts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome. I took a average color sample from the rear quarters in the color corrected picture and it is definitely shade of brown. Here it is over white background.

AussieChevyPaint.jpg.6f70f7b4bdd1ffa0356d389cd7176579.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:17 AM, peteski said:

You're welcome. I took a average color sample from the rear quarters in the color corrected picture and it is definitely shade of brown. Here it is over white background.

AussieChevyPaint.jpg.6f70f7b4bdd1ffa0356d389cd7176579.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have a can of Krylon almost exactly that color, which I use for tan interiors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now