Model Cars Magazine Forum

Radwood 2018 - Officially open!

Jordan White

I frequent the blog site Jalopnik quite often and have seen posts on a new car show they host called Radwood. The basic idea is a car show that showcases automobiles from the 80's and 90's as well as the clothing and memorable items from that era. Perhaps it's because I grew up in the 90's that I love the idea of this show so much and would love to have a CBP version of it.

The basics:
-Vehicle must be from the 80's/90's. Exceptions are vehicles built before/past this time period but are the same vehicle (e.g. 2001 Mustang and 1999 Mustang, or 1979 Mustang and 1980 Mustang) or vehicles built in the style of the time period (e.g. Cal-look VW, Boyd-style Hot Rod)
-Any type of vehicle is welcome.
-No limit to amount of customization, just limit to styling (if custom) that depicts the era.

Build time would be from January 1st, 2018 through Dec 31st, 2018.

Please post if you're interested and what you'll be building! I will update the first post with this information.

Builder list:

Jordan White - 1991 Ford Bronco Centurion
iamsuperdan - 1990s Mercedes-Benz AMG 500SL 6.0
jaymcminn - Callaway Corvette Speedster
dodgelover - PT Cruiser Pro Street
Cpt Tuttle - Lotus Esprit
TimJ - Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio
Jhedir6 - 1995 Honda Civic
WickedRidez - 1995 Toyota Pickup

Addition: You may certainly make a separate build thread elsewhere in the forum, please just add at least a post with any updates here as well so we can see them come together in one spot!

Edited by Jordan White

After checking out the website, I'm even more excited about this car show. I want to attend! I'm a huge fan of the 80s. As ridiculous and superficial as it was, and as crappy as the cars were, I love it.

Radwood is a celebration of '80s and '90s automotive lifestyle. The car show that blends period correct dress with automotive awesomeness. A period correct event for cars, trucks, and bikes from 1980-1999 that captures the essence of a bodacious era. Wear your best '80s and '90s clothing and bring your rollerblades or BMX bike, because it's going to get RAD!

Expanding on my love for the era, probably around 80% of my kits waiting to be built in the 1/24 and 1/25 scales are from this time period. I admire older vehicles, and like the late 60's muscle cars like the next guy, but there's just something about styling from the time that I love. The straight, yet slightly rounded styling, the crazy wheels that aren't massively tall, the boxy fenders, the wild graphics, the "Euro" styling trend of body-color bumpers, and the bright neon colors all come together in one mishmash of awesomeness! B)

Edited by Jordan White

I'm planning on two kits, plus possibly a trailer if I have time. The first is a 1991 Bronco Centurion C350 4WD, with the 460 big-block and auto-trans and the Nite decal package. The second is a 1991 F150 Reg. Cab long bed 2WD with a small block and manual trans decked out as a lowered sport truck. It will of course have some neon colors to stand out in a crowd! B)

On 12/8/2017 at 11:05 AM, wku88 said:

Lessee.... Members Only jacket, Levi 501's, Nike Cortez, Lacoste polo shirt, gold chain and bracelet.  Where did I park the IROC-Z?

As a teenager in the mid 80s, I had a lot of that schwag...along w/ Ray Ban Wayfarers..still have the '87 Mustang GT I had then.  Couldn't fit in the Members Only any more, though...

I read about Radwood on Jalopnik..sounds like a fun show...

Man, just so many choices for 80's awesomeness in my collection...it's hard to choose, but this gives me an excuse to finally build the Callaway Corvette Speedster I've had on my shelf for a while. You can't get any more rad than that car! I'll be finishing up my current 1/12 scale 240ZG project in the next couple of weeks and this should be a fun project to unwind with after that one! 

10 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Man, just so many choices for 80's awesomeness in my collection...it's hard to choose, but this gives me an excuse to finally build the Callaway Corvette Speedster I've had on my shelf for a while. You can't get any more rad than that car! I'll be finishing up my current 1/12 scale 240ZG project in the next couple of weeks and this should be a fun project to unwind with after that one! 

Should be a cool build! Gonna do it in that lime green that you see it in a lot? :P

I was born in the 60s and raised through the 70's so that's where my sentimental attachment lies. But my high living, 20-something to 30-something was in the 80s and 90s. Man, I was doing the rock radio morning show, then TV news with a bunch of young bucks gunning for adventure. That was my wild time and this radwood stuff takes me back. I even just got engaged to the girl I was dating back then. This is a compelling CBP but my limited model time is claimed for the winter. Hmmmm.

P.S. you couldn't spit on the sidewalk without hitting someone's aluminum Center Lines.