Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sratch built Russian rail tank

Tanks, I mean "thanks"! :)

I did find few images similar to yours like this one:

MBV-2.thumb.jpg.44c8b3f4b758bc88da20107fa73da1ce.jpg

But 'm still curious about your choice of the lettering?  I would have expected Cycilic characters like on the picture above.  Or did the Russkis donate one of those tanks to U.S. and it ended up on the Aberdeen Proving grounds?

Edited by peteski

My backstory for itis that it fell into German hands where it got its cammo and was later captured by the allies the red stars on top ofthe turrets were to prevent Russian air attack on its way to the ship that sent it to Aberdeen for foreign evaluation tests.Might not be true but it is the story I made up for it to explain its markings. I made it so I am allowed!

On 12/12/2017 at 4:35 AM, philo426 said:

My backstory for itis that it fell into German hands where it got its cammo and was later captured by the allies the red stars on top ofthe turrets were to prevent Russian air attack on its way to the ship that sent it to Aberdeen for foreign evaluation tests.Might not be true but it is the story I made up for it to explain its markings. I made it so I am allowed!

Like you said: it is your model so you can do whatever you want with it.  I was just looking for the back story. Makes sense.  I like it!

Edited by peteski

Fantastic work!  Armored trains are fascinating beasts.  And stranger things than your back-story for it happened in WWII. 

e.g., the  "Japanese soldiers" captured at Normandy on D-Day.  At first the Allied troops thought the Japanese might be sending reinforcements to the Wehrmacht.  That was worrying.

""Lieutenant Robert Brewer of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, reported that his regiment had captured four Asians in German uniform after the Utah Beach landings, and that initially no one was able to communicate with them."

They even brought in a Japanese translator, who said he couldn't help:  they weren't speaking Japanese.  They turned out to be Koreans who had fought with the Japanese, the Russians and finally the Germans.  One of them lived until 1992:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

• 4 weeks later...