Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2's Datsun 620 Pickup - Out of Box review

Faust

Some kits you just never expect to be rare. Some, especially those by MPC, got issued, reissued and re-reissued and reworked so many times that it makes sense to think they’d be around forever. However, history has shown that’s almost never the case for the more mundane vehicles, like Pacers, Fieros and Pintos. That same fate applies to the MPC 1975 Datsun 620 pickup model as well.

Despite numerous warmovers, customs and reworkings, the 620 hasn’t been largely seen around for years and years. When the Monster Tow Truck version was repopped by Round 2, I don’t think too many of us expected to see the stock ’75 ever see the light of day. However, we were (gladly) wrong, and somehow the good folks at Round 2 have managed to bring back this classic in a much less radical form. You can also build it purely stock… almost.

Clearly, since it is an “everyday” car and an MPC, I was all over this when I saw it at my local shop. Check out this newest in Round 2’s “Legion of the dead”; it proves that with hope, anything is possible!

(Still need that ’75 Sprint and Monza notchback, if you’re listening there, Round 2…)

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/round-2-mpc-1-25-1975-datsun-620-pickup/

1975-datsun-truck-oob-1.jpg?w=400

As was pointed out when Round2 announced this kit was coming back, the idea that it was forever wrecked was a badly informed rumor that a lot of us (myself included) were guilty of passing around.  When the flip-nose body with blown engine was in fact a separate tool from the original annual kit.  Proof of that is how little work was needed to "resurrect" this kit.  Other than the tires - and addition of rubber stock tires - and retooling the Lil' Hustler's custom wheels, everything else is original to the 3 years this kit was released as an annual ('75-'77).  I'd like to think the popularity of Hasegawa's Nissan Sunny (and corresponding C1 Models Hakosuka Transkit), as well as Revell reissuing their Datsun 4x4 made reissuing this kit a fairly easy decision.

Edited by niteowl7710

The original stock kits had five plastic tires, including the spare.  MPC regularly alternated between the stock and flip-front V8 versions back in the day.  I'm pretty certain the first one issued was the '75 annual, while the second was a flip-front drag version.

10 hours ago, alexis said:

My only gripe is that Round2 missed out putting in all four of the 2-piece plastic tires.

You get only three in the kit.  Other than that, the kit rocks.

Yeah, me too, buddy, me too. 

I gotta have this thing stock. It's too cute not to. :)

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

As was pointed out when Round2 announced this kit was coming back, the idea that it was forever wrecked was a badly informed rumor that a lot of us (myself included) were guilty of passing around.  When the flip-nose body with blown engine was in fact a separate tool from the original annual kit.  Proof of that is how little work was needed to "resurrect" this kit.  Other than the tires - and addition of rubber stock tires - and retooling the Lil' Hustler's custom wheels, everything else is original to the 3 years this kit was released as an annual ('75-'77).  I'd like to think the popularity of Hasegawa's Nissan Sunny (and corresponding C1 Models Hakosuka Transkit), as well as Revell reissuing their Datsun 4x4 made reissuing this kit a fairly easy decision.

Interesting. I actually wasn't following along too closely; I remember someone (on here I think) posting that they'd love to see this one, and then I remember hearing the rumours about the moulds being torched. 

I'm glad that wasn't the case, and it was smart of MPC to do it this way! 

I have noticed a big increase in the number of old Japanese truck kits lately, true. I wouldn't mind seeing the 1/20 King Cab reissued, or the 720 Targa (just because a targa truck is nonsensical, and thus cool).

Just now, Daddyfink said:

Well, you can always buy one for a stock build and a second one for a custom build, combined the kits and you have enough stock tires! 

Sorry, that is just me justifying buying more of these kits! :D

I got two of these, but plan to use the vinyl tires for the stock version..2-piece plastic tires are just too awful. 

It's a pretty little truck.  However, I have a lovely HotWheels version on my desk.  That is way cheaper than the buy in for a plastic kit of something that is only on the fringe of my interests right now.  If I bought it, I'd never get around to building it.   Doesn't fit my collection at all right now.   But there is a resurgence in these vehicles.  HotWheels and Matchbox are releasing this truck, a Subaru, and some other older JDM castings in trucks and cars.  I will be happy to see some completed builds, though.  Always like looking at a nice model, no matter what it is.  

Edited by randyc
fat fingers

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Revell/Monogram 620 4x4 w/ trailer and bikes reissued...was last out in '03, didn't get one then. 

The aftermarket custom stepside style bed is the big bummer with Revell's Monogram's(!??) Datsun 4x4.

Edited by Casey

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I got two of these, but plan to use the vinyl tires for the stock version..2-piece plastic tires are just too awful. 

They aren't as bad as I remembered, but they definitely fall short in the realism department. There is a "step" for each tread row, leaving an odd peak at the center of the tire.

Yeah, it is Revell's Generic small block V-8. Very much like the one in the Sneaky Pete and Billy Carter Chevy's.

I had the kit and sold it. Chrome tree only includes one set of forks and handle bars for the bikes. Parts for two bikes in white plastic, Chrome parts for only one. It was weird. Put me off the kit, so badly, that I just gave up, and sold it. If Revell puts it out again, I hope somebody there counts the parts on the sprues this time........

I'll wind up with two of these, and one of the monster truck kits, just to make a flip nose street rod.

30 minutes ago, alexis said:

Chrome tree only includes one set of forks and handle bars for the bikes. Parts for two bikes in white plastic, Chrome parts for only one. It was weird. Put me off the kit, so badly, that I just gave up, and sold it. If Revell puts it out again, I hope somebody there counts the parts on the sprues this time........

I'm pretty sure the problem there happened because, as originally issued, the Revell pickup included one dirt bike, and no trailer...

21 hours ago, alexis said:

My only gripe is that Round2 missed out putting in all four of the 2-piece plastic tires.

You get only three in the kit.  Other than that, the kit rocks.

lol wut,  who in their right mind would want to use plastic molded tires in the year 2017/18,  I was going to throw them away(2kits), but if you really have a hard on for them, I suppose you can get them from me.

Edited by martinfan5

Another good review Adam. I have only one minor disagreement. Your timeline on popularity of mini trucks. They were popular way before the first gas shortage in the fall of '73. Because of the popularity of both the Datsun and Toyota pickup trucks, both Chevrolet (the Isuzu built LUV) and Ford (the Mazda built Courier) had their captive import mini trucks in their lineups over a year before that first shortage. It turned out to be great timing on both their parts. 

13 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

lol wut,  who in their right mind would want to use plastic molded tires in the year 2017/18,  I was going to throw them away(2kits), but if you really have a hard on for them, I suppose you can get them from me.

I would. I would in a heartbeat. I want to build the kit stock. The rubber tires aren't the right size, width or profile for stock. The stock wheels won't fit them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with styrene tires, especially when they're correct. The ones on the Datsun, as you can see in my article, have a nice whitewall marked in them and everything. I had no problems at all with the styrene tires on my Chevette, and I fully intend to use them for my Omni O24 when I build it. I wish the Cavalier had had some, so it would have had properly-sized tires.

On the contrary, I feel there's no reason NOT to use them, especially if you're doing the truck stock. I mostly think it's lame because they say you can build it stock, show the stock wheels and don't include them. Besides, the styrene tires will be very easy to sand, there's no real tread to worry about, and once flat coated and waxed on the front face, will look even more like a real tire than, well, a rubber tire! This doesn't take away from the beautiful Round 2 tires, it's just they're not right for this.

Consider, too, that you want to build a junker. It's a lot easier to flatten out a styrene tire than a rubber one!

As for needing extras (because, as you can tell, I do have a hard on for them), I would have bought two kits, if the shop had two. (I only buy kits I can handle, never from online retailers.) However, Erik saved my bacon and sent me his. So I'm good now. :)

And yes, James, that Entex IS the one I was referencing. It'd be great to see a 1/20 to go with all my other 1/20 stuff!

Edited by Faust

1 minute ago, Faust said:

I would. I would in a heartbeat. I want to build the kit stock. The rubber tires aren't the right size, width or profile for stock. The stock wheels won't fit them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with styrene tires, especially when they're correct. The ones on the Datsun, as you can see in my article, have a nice whitewall marked in them and everything. I had no problems at all with the styrene tires on my Chevette, and I fully intend to use them for my Omni O24 when I build it. I wish the Cavalier had had some, so it would have had properly-sized tires.

There's no reason

But, the stock wheels do in fact fit the skinny tires that are included in the reissue.

8 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

But, the stock wheels do in fact fit the skinny tires that are included in the reissue.

But what about the width? Besides, letters like that were not stock on 620s, I'd wager! :)

17 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Another good review Adam. I have only one minor disagreement. Your timeline on popularity of mini trucks. They were popular way before the first gas shortage in the fall of '73. Because of the popularity of both the Datsun and Toyota pickup trucks, both Chevrolet (the Isuzu built LUV) and Ford (the Mazda built Courier) had their captive import mini trucks in their lineups over a year before that first shortage. It turned out to be great timing on both their parts. 

Interesting... Okay, I stand corrected. Thanks, Scott! I thought they came out after the fuel crisis BECAUSE of it!  I love it when I learn something new! Thanks for the compliments, too!

8 minutes ago, Faust said:

But what about the width? Besides, letters like that were not stock on 620s, I'd wager! :)

There are two sets of black tires...one with white letters, ones with out.  Different tread patterns.  One set is slightly skinnier than the other

Edited by Rob Hall

14 minutes ago, Faust said:

Interesting... Okay, I stand corrected. Thanks, Scott! I thought they came out after the fuel crisis BECAUSE of it!  I love it when I learn something new! Thanks for the compliments, too!

eUGRYY1.jpg