Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2's Datsun 620 Pickup - Out of Box review

Faust

Jonathan, If you still have those stock styrene tires, I would like them. Those skinny vinyl tires in the kit just look wrong to me.

Like Faust, I actually prefer the plastic tires when I can get them. One of my Volare's rides on the ones that came in the re-issued kit.

3 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

eUGRYY1.jpg

Fair enough! I haven't had the chance to fiddle with mine. 

The good news is, we both win! Either people can use the fairly good rubber, or I can use the fairly good styrene! Still, while they fit the stock rims, those are pretty beefy tires to be stock on this truck. 

3 minutes ago, Faust said:

Fair enough! I haven't had the chance to fiddle with mine. 

The good news is, we both win! Either people can use the fairly good rubber, or I can use the fairly good styrene! Still, while they fit the stock rims, those are pretty beefy tires to be stock on this truck. 

Sure, I agree, everyone wins,  I will give you they do look a bit beefy for stock, I just prefer using rubber over plastic if I have the option.

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

At least they aren't two part rubber (vinyl) tires. Those things can not be glued together by any known adhesive currently available on Earth. 

Ah, your are right..those are the worst.  I recall first encountering those on a mid '70s AMT Mustang II kit.  

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Those things can not be glued together by any known adhesive currently available on Earth. 

"I got this." :lol:

Gort_Firing.jpg

I thought only Revell use those tires back in its pinching pennies days when they skipped chrome plating parts, too?

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

"I got this." :lol:

I thought only Revell use those tires back in its pinching pennies days when they skipped chrome plating parts, too?

AMT definitely had them in the mid 70s also..I've encountered them on a few kits, IIRC a mid '70s Mustang II and a Chevy van kit...dreadful tires.    The worst from Revell I remember were some narrow two-piece black tires in the '56 Chevy 'Bad Dream''..it was the first 1/25th scale kit I built as a kid.   I also don't like the weird very soft, squishy tires Revell used in the early 80s..(like in the McLaren Mustang and '82 Firebird SE kits). 

Oh Lord... those two-piece tires. The old AMT '77 Monza has those. The only thing I've found to glue them is Loctite Surface Prep and their own CA. It will work, but it won't take a lot of stress. 

What were they thinking? How did they even make that material. It has the gluability of UHMW Teflon!