Model Cars Magazine Forum

Comic Book Ads

Besides loving model kits growing up. I also loved comic books. My favorite models were made by AMT. My favorite comics, DC. Mainly Batman. Combine the two, and you get some great ads for AMT models inside DC comic books in the 1960's. Here is the first in a sample. 

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.GIF

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

Note how the artist made 1/25 scale cars look like 1/12 scale. And how you'd build a channeled Deuce 5-window with an exposed engine from All-Star parts is beyond me, unless you had some Aurora and Pyro kits to borrow from...:rolleyes:

That said, hey Round2 - Scale Stars '32 and '40 Fords next, pleeeeeze!

Sorry to ignored Revell up to this point. But, they didn't seem to run a lot of ads for their models cars in the comic books. And sorry, even though they deal directly with car models. I do have to include a promotion that Revell ran in the late 60's to win a full size Gemini space capsule. That's the one contest that was done when I was a kid, that I really wanted to win. Sadly I never even got a chance to enter. ? 

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

I read a lot of DC comics in the 1963-65 timeframe and I don't remember ever seeing any of these. Maybe I just wasn't into model cars yet and simply paid them no attention.

I DO, however, remember the giant, full-page Revell ads in Boys Life, the Boy Scout magazine. These looked something like a newspaper, and had "news" of the latest 1/72 "Warbird" airplane releases (I remember when the Memphis Belle B-17 and the Blue Streak B-24 came out), as well as the latest wacky Ed Roth creation.

12 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Sorry to ignored Revell up to this point. But, they didn't seem to run a lot of ads for their models cars in the comic books. And sorry, even though they deal directly with car models. I do have to include a promotion that Revell ran in the late 60's to win a full size Gemini space capsule. That's the one contest that was done when I was a kid, that I really wanted to win. Sadly I never even got a chance to enter. ? 

IMG_2559.JPG

Well, if you ever find yourself in Portland, Oregon....

http://aviationintel.com/fast-history-the-boy-that-won-a-gemini-capsule/

The Gemini capsule contest, and what happened to the capsule, is fascinating.  Never heard of it before, thanks!

That contest went a lot better than one by Ford in 1958, when they realized the Edsel was tanking and got desperate.  According to Ford P.R. guy Gayle Warnock, Ford had a big meeting about selling more Edsels. The story is in Warnock's book "The Edsel Affair."  This is from memory, but pretty close, I think:

One crusty old Ford veteran was in the meeting, and he had a running joke he always used:  "Let's give away a pony."  A younger executive in the meeting didn't realize it was a joke, and thought that was a great idea.  Such a great idea that Ford should give away several ponies.

Pretty soon Ford was negotiating with the delighted owners of pony farms all over the country.  It got pretty expensive, since the critters had to be fed, housed and cared for until the contest.

And the contest went pretty much the way everything Edsel-related seemed to go.  The first kid who won a pony lived in New York City. In an apartment.

"The first kid who won a pony lived in New York City. In an apartment."

So, what's the big deal about that? Par for the course here. There's the story of Ming the Tiger, living in a housing project apartment with an alligator and eight kids

SAY HARLEM APT. WAS SHARED BY TIGER, ALLIGATOR & 8 KIDS

Then, there was everybody's favorite homicidal maniac, "Crazy" Joe Gallo. Joe lived on President St., in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn. He kept a pet lion in his basement, which he used to terrorize the living krap out of mooks who owed him money or were being uncooperative in other matters of greater or lesser import. Crazy Joe enjoyed a laugh or two.

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzL2I2OTZiNDVjOTZjNTUzMzM4M19zbGlkZV8xNTMyXzIxNDY5X2xhcmdlLmpwZyJdLFsicCIsInRodW1iIiwieDM5MD4iXSxbInAiLCJjb252ZXJ0IiwiLXF1YWxpdHkgODEgLWF1dG8tb3JpZW50Il1d

Mobster Joe Gallo's 1950s Headquarters