Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Jack Reacher 1970 Chevelle?

crowe-t

9 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I am not in agreement with your assessment of the two kits. The AMT kit does have problems with the side sculpture, but the Revell greenhouse is too short, and is curb side only. I have a " Red Alert" build under way, using the AMT kit.

Interesting. I've never noticed the "short greenhouse" problem on the Revell snapper, but I'll take another look at it.

I have a pretty good eye for these things (I spot a LOT of problems others miss) and I hadn't seen anything that bothered me, but as I said I'll take another look. Thanks for the headsup! B)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 11:20 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

I am not in agreement with your assessment of the two kits. The AMT kit does have problems with the side sculpture, but the Revell greenhouse is too short, and is curb side only. I have a " Red Alert" build under way, using the AMT kit.

Someone just posted a built Revell snapper Under Glass, and I took a good look at it. Only thing I can see that's "too short" on it is the cowl induction bulge, and yes, that's too short. Is that what you meant? 

When you said "greenhouse," I first thought you meant the roof area. But I'm not seeing any obvious problems there. Did you mean it's too short in length, or in height (if that's what you meant)? 

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Someone just posted a built Revell snapper Under Glass, and I took a good look at it. Only thing I can see that's "too short" on it is the cowl induction bulge, and yes, that's too short. Is that what you meant? 

When you said "greenhouse," I first thought you meant the roof area. But I'm not seeing any obvious problems there. Did you mean it's too short in length, or in height (if that's what you meant)? 

Yes, the roof is too short. There are other issues with the body, but it goes together very nice, and has good detail. I did one of the green ones as a slump buster, and I am very happy with everything bit those goofy stickers for the stripes.

The cowl induction bulge does look a bit too short on the snap kit.  

I like the AMT glue '70 Chevelle.  The side bulges won't be too hard to correct and the rest of the body, including the cowl induction bulge, looks about right.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

They seriously need to do a new tool for this car. A 1970 and a Not a 1970 tool would be awesome. 

100% new tooling , with options galore :

- Decals for 396 and 454 engines 

- Period-correct "Day Two" parts ( headers , 'Fly Eye' air cleaner , Cal Customs 12 bolt cover , sidepipes , Spyders wheels , etc. )

- T.H.-400 and 4 speed option 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

IIRC all the modern issues of the AMT 70 have the stock 5 spoke mags and a rather ugly set of 90s style aftermarket wheels. 

This kit would be a good argument for "less is more" if they (wisely) left custom wheels those out.

Looks like the kit will have both black and white skunk stripes, pad printed Goodyear Polyglas GT tires, and being a '70 Chevelle SS, it won't need much more help to sell to the masses.

Edited by Casey

36 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

The artist rendering shows side sculpture not on the real car; where original AMT went wrong. Model can be sanded though.

Many, many photos of shiny '70 Chevelles show reflections that look exactly like those bumps in the kit (and in Monogram's). But it doesn't look like that in real steel. 

• 1 month later...

The sides on the AMT 1970-72 Chevelles have always had a wierd side sculpture. Almost like an artist rendering reflection was interpreted incorrectly. The MPC Chevelle had better sides. Unfortunately the MPC 72 annual became a NASCAR racer and it was ruined for stock. As a return as the SSlasher, it had some funky details. You can fix it.

The Revell snap has the best side features, IMHO