Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Jack Reacher 1970 Chevelle?

crowe-t

Some comparison between the Revell and AMT 1/25 scale kits here:

Honestly, I would ALWAYS pick up a Round2 reissue over anything reissued by either Ertl or RC2/Leaning Curve. The tampo printed tires alone make them a better value, and RC2 always skimped on the decals, so unless there's something specific regarding an earlier issue, stick with the Round2 reissues.

Edited by Casey

Compared to the version from maybe 15 years ago, it is now molded in white.  Still has the same ugly custom wheels as an option and lots of parting lines on the body.  (I tried uploading a photo of the two versions, but got an error.)

Edited by Rob Hall

FWIW : I've built a couple of the 1972 version (for "whatever" reason(s) , the 1971 is the "missing man" in the formation ...) and I found them to be quite nice . Aside from the obvious cosmetic changes from 1970-1971-1972 , the kit is the same .  (sidebar : the 1972 kit has the LS-6 induction in addition to the correct LS-3 [ LS-4 ? Whatever the 396 / 402 designation was ] induction setup . both of the '72's I built were built as "phantom" LS-6s) .

Other than some patience and massaging of the 45+ years old tooling / casting , either version builds up nicely. The only addition I made to my builds was a brake master cylinder ( one of them got the booster / brake master from the parts bin) .

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

FWIW : I've built a couple of the 1972 version (for "whatever" reason(s) , the 1971 is the "missing man" in the formation ...) and I found them to be quite nice . Aside from the obvious cosmetic changes from 1970-1971-1972 , the kit is the same .  (sidebar : the 1972 kit has the LS-6 induction in addition to the correct LS-3 [ LS-4 ? Whatever the 396 / 402 designation was ] induction setup . both of the '72's I built were built as "phantom" LS-6s) .

Other than some patience and massaging of the 45+ years old tooling / casting , either version builds up nicely. The only addition I made to my builds was a brake master cylinder ( one of them got the booster / brake master from the parts bin) .

The 71 tooling was updated to the 72 version and the tooling has never been backdated since. 

5 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

Wasn't the tooling back dated to the 1970 from the 1972?

That is my understanding.  Happened in the 1990s.  The last issue of the AMT 72 was in the early 80s shown in bright blue on the box.   The MPC 72 was reissued about 15 years ago, red car on the box.  

10 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Wasn't the tooling back dated to the 1970 from the 1972?

Not to my knowledge. But, weirder things have happened! I was always under the impression that MPC and AMT each had their own Chevelle toolings, but I guess they may have also shared them. 

Image result for AMT 71 Chevelle vs. MPC 71 Chevelle

s-l1600.jpg

AMT and MPC were separate companies in the 70s (the unification under ERTL didn't happen until the late 80s). 

Here is the history as I know it, may be incomplete or wrong. 

AMT had a 1970 Chevelle SS annual, and one in the Motor City Stocker Series (curbside unassembled promo, basically).    The annual evolved into the '71 then the '72.   The '72 was reissued as the Red Alert in the late 70s and in the 80s in the Matchbox era (blue car on box).   This tooling was backdated to a '70 in the mid 90s to create the AMT '70 kit we've seen many times since then, most recently as the Jack Reacher version. 

MPC had a '71 and a '72 annual.  No '70.   The '72 was reissued in the 80s molded in black as the SSlasher.   This '72 was reissued in the RC2 era back around 2004 or so, in red on the box.   The grille was retooled (inaccurately, I've read). (or was this '72 based on the AMT tooling?)

Edited by Rob Hall

AMT made a 1970 annual Chevelle SS. It became a 1971 Then a 1972. AMT never removed the 1970 front side marker lights. ERTL turned it back into a 1970 , then again into a 1972.  The rear bumper lost it's lower separate pan . now it's chrome and part of the whole bumper.

There were two AMT 1970 chevelles. kit with engine  and the Motor city stocker. Frames different for sure.

The AMT 1970+ chevelles have funky sides. There is a a shape not found on the real car. MPC version is more correct IMHO. The Matchbox /early ERTL is the best. Grille is better and rear bumper too

Round2 1972 front grille is not good.

1 hour ago, Junkman said:

I'm quite convinced it is the promo tool, I think all the Motor City Stockers were.
It's quite well proportioned, but sure no match for the Revell snapper.

I am not in agreement with your assessment of the two kits. The AMT kit does have problems with the side sculpture, but the Revell greenhouse is too short, and is curb side only. I have a " Red Alert" build under way, using the AMT kit.