Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix Bentley Blower in 1/12

Hi

I decided to try to build this kit oob, but I did some detailing. Mostly rivets , bolts , hoses,wires, and some other stuff. Modified the headlights protection shield, made a shield in the front too. The exhaust got a new support.

Painted with Tamiya spraycan TS9. The bodypart is painted with an airbrush, a mix of Humbrol 3 and black then satin varnish. The leather straps works :-)

A very old kit with lack of details but not so bad :-)

Thomas

AifcCOCl.jpg

q1Ksqwgl.jpg

j5z5dahl.jpg

5aJpLZ7l.jpg

uqlUDNGl.jpg

CCjrQMWl.jpg

eviSV2Vl.jpg

AoBC2qql.jpg

9jCJrTul.jpg

nDLzo5Yl.jpg

R6K8e0Kl.jpg

PSH8TpBl.jpg

OmvVUKul.jpg

x2haUROl.jpg

vbIupd9l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Your model with the new number plate UU5872 looks really good, and is very nicely finished. Really like the cord grip detailing on the steering wheel and the real leather bonnet (hood) straps. I have built one of the older kits with the number plate UR6571 on it.  Why Airfix only re tooled the number plate on this last release is a bit of a mystery to me.

The most glaring thing wrong with the kit is the position of the Winged B badge on the radiator shell that has never been sorted out, despite a number of re releases over the years. It is far too low on the kit item. Look at pictures on the web to see what I mean, as the car is now owned by Ralph Lauren.  Airfix had full access to the original car when it was owned by Neil Corner, before it went to Tony Bamford, the boss of JCB. As the part is plated, many model makers are unable to correct it unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Your model with the new number plate UU5872 looks really good, and is very nicely finished. Really like the cord grip detailing on the steering wheel and the real leather bonnet (hood) straps. I have built one of the older kits with the number plate UR6571 on it.  Why Airfix only re tooled the number plate on this last release is a bit of a mystery to me.

The most glaring thing wrong with the kit is the position of the Winged B badge on the radiator shell that has never been sorted out, despite a number of re releases over the years. It is far too low on the kit item. Look at pictures on the web to see what I mean, as the car is now owned by Ralph Lauren.  Airfix had full access to the original car when it was owned by Neil Corner, before it went to Tony Bamford, the boss of JCB. As the part is plated, many model makers are unable to correct it unfortunately.

What we know to begin with is that the original kit and registration number are based on a car currently owned by Ralph Lauren. When this version of the kit with new registration plate came out, I contacted Hornby/Airfix to see what was different.  They e-mailed me that the only difference is the registration number change, which was dictated by a Bentley executive who owns that number for his car.

Super fine work without going '' overboard'' . the paint on the fuel tank lines is just fine, the British Racing Green is the best tone I have seen and the seats also look like real leather.  the tailpipe weathering is perfect along with the oil sweat on the engine.   

did you use alclad on the stone guard frames and radiator?    

I have one of these in the closet and now this makes me want to build it.    very nice work sir!!!

Really nice build Thomas..... and I think this is one of the finest 1:12 kits ever produced. When I was looking for my first build in 50 years this was the one I almost bought, but it was too expensive and I wasn't absolutely sure I could do it well. Instead I chose 1:24 scale and I haven't gone larger yet.....

Your detailing is excellent and as others have commented, your paint finish is extremely authentic.

David

8 hours ago, f1ford48 said:

Super fine work without going '' overboard'' . the paint on the fuel tank lines is just fine, the British Racing Green is the best tone I have seen and the seats also look like real leather.  the tailpipe weathering is perfect along with the oil sweat on the engine.   

did you use alclad on the stone guard frames and radiator?    

I have one of these in the closet and now this makes me want to build it.    very nice work sir!!!

Thanks :-) The chrome parts is Molotovs chromepen , used it in my airbrush as it is

Regarding British Car Number Plates. There appears to be a bit of misapprehension about ownership. The car owners own just the car not the registration number. ALL British registration numbers remain the intellectual property of the DVLA (Driver, Vehicle and Licencing Authority) i.e. the UK Government. When a car is either scrapped or exported the number can be re allocated to another UK based vehicle. If a car is exported and the owner wishes to carry on using the UK registration number on that vehicle, the car will still need to remain registered in the UK. In pictures of Ralph Lauren's car I have not seen an American licence plate fitted to the vehicle, so my guess is that he has it taxed and insured in the UK and the insurance tailored to cover use in other countries.

Also, I find it difficult to believe that a Bentley executive actually dictated to Hornby claiming ownership of the number. The DVLA actually owns it for the reasons outlined above in this posting.

• 4 years later...