Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Future Releases Interesting

regular guy

2 hours ago, mrm said:

Let me get this straight! I open the forum and see "New AMT Releases" and get excited. Just to find out that someone wanted to disagree with an opinion someone posted over three years ago?!?!?! LOL That's just funny. And kinda sad in the same time. 

I don't care how old the original post is. If there's a point to correct, I'll make it (assuming that I know something)...

As for something new... November 2020 is a snoozer...

I don't know about the rest of you fellas, but I'm looking forward to the Craftsman '63 Chevy II station wagon and the '64 Cutlass kit.  I know most won't agree, but I'd to see them mold the wagon in color so it can be polished out to look like a promo. 

Since those early Craftman kits were basically unassembled promos anyway, why not?   

Edited by the other Mike S.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Since they are restoring old tools.. maybe they could restore the Fireball 500 back to the 66 Valiant promo model?! 

Was the 'Fireball 500' body really derived from the Valiant Signet promo tool? (I can understand AMT reusing the chassis/guts.)

File1-vi.jpg

1266355-50908-50-pristine.jpg

5d3a4358abccb_66valiantpromo1.jpg.7f8a2cba73b9463a08621da65116049f.jpg

1155390-26866-52-pristine.jpg

Yes!   Back when the Fireball 500 came back to market, people said we’d never see the Hemi Under Glass again since that body was ruined making the Fireball... then that showed up too.  The HUG uses the 65 turned 66 Barracuda body which still exists today.

The Fireball body indeed came from that 66 Valiant tool. I have an original promo and a few resin copies. They have the same tooling marks on the inside of the body as the Fireball body.  It has to be! 

The Fireball also uses parts from the original 66 Barracuda. The chassis, Hemi engine etc.  

History of the AMT Valiant too is that the new body style of 1963 got a new tool, that was used as a promo and Craftsman kit. It was updated each year through 1965 with a promo and kit each year.

For 1966 AMT indeed did a promo run. This has become a $500 car today and one of the rarest Mopar promos. Why?

It wasn’t done as a limited run since examples exist today in several colors. What actually happened is that the car was produced with the wrong roof.  It has the 1963-5 roof, where the 66 has a squarer rear window and a different design on the C pillar.

I’m not sure if Chrysler changed the design late in the game or if AMT just blew it.  But my theory is that Chrysler didn’t accept the shipment and ordered them destroyed.  

My theory is that the surviving promos were in the initial shipment to Chrysler as ones that have been offered for sale have been described as coming from a Chrysler employee’s collection.

Note that this has been a passion of mine so I’ve put a good deal of effort into studying the situation.  I’d appreciate any good evidence on the subject.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:05 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

"regular guy" is well known around here for spouting some , shall we say dubious "information" on this board. He hasn't been around much anymore. His posts were always good for pure entertainment value, but not much factual information

I miss Regular Guy - it was ALWAYS an entertaining thread when he started one 

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Another idea for a future release: How much work would be involved with returning the MPC '72 Grand Prix back to stock? Mostly the front bumper/grille, headlights, header panel, and filling the hole in the roof?

It would be great if they could restore the '72 GP back to stock.  

2 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

The '65 GTO and the '69 Torino were returned to regular bodies after being altered to the racing versions. So why not the '65 Olds, the '69 Falcon, and the '66 Skylark?  The first two showed that it CAN be done ( with varying success).

Because the Torino was altered very little compared to the other kits in the series.  With the Falcon for example, you can count the number of unaltered parts on your fingers.

On 11/21/2020 at 12:51 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Another idea for a future release: How much work would be involved with returning the MPC '72 Grand Prix back to stock? Mostly the front bumper/grille, headlights, header panel, and filling the hole in the roof?

I'm all for that, and make it a Hurst too!

960983401_SSJ718(1).jpg.114f5800427208bd0d3c52136369c24a.jpg

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

The Skylark GS might have some interest since it's a muscle car; not so sure about the Falcon or Olds. With all the work it would take, they might as well redo the Olds as a Starfire and the Falcon as an Australian GT-HO (if the OZ 1/25 modeling market is big enough to support it).

It would be really nice to see the Buick GS..

15 hours ago, Mark said:

Because the Torino was altered very little compared to the other kits in the series.  With the Falcon for example, you can count the number of unaltered parts on your fingers.

I've been having.... thoughts... Since AMT with George Toteff pioneered the sliding side insert tool that allowed one piece bodies, I wonder if the side inserts from the Craftsman 64 Galaxie tool would fit in the tool for the glue kit. Yeah I know, that still leaves the interior and the Grille and taillight panel, but... Anyway, the idea is crazy enough to fit pretty good in a thread started by Regular Guy, LOL....