Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Future Releases Interesting

regular guy

40 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Yes, you are right. '27 is correct. A stupid and embarrassing mistake when your telling others to check their facts first before stating them! ?‍♂️

You may have fudged that one Scott but I believe your other statements to be correct. But this poster has a history of making posts with similar "content".

It was bugging me that I had missed one on the Hobbylinc pages. Here it is.

1962 Buick Electra

From the 'Go-Go' late 50's through JFK's presidency.Era when they let John Delorean loose in Ponticac's perfomance department.

Hence cars like th Pontiac with the 421 Super Duty. Dragstrip versions had 2 two speeds put together to make a heavy duty 4 speed.

Modern racing trannies are based on that. EDIT Lenco transmission. Shifts faster. Old ones were air button shift.

Lenco made the trannies tor top fuel funny cars and the like in the 70's.

The Buick has a lowered option.

That is First Generation lowering. Second Generation is hydraulics, bouncing the car and all that.

I had a 54 Ford that was a showcar. I said it was a 'Midwest' lowrider to separate it from later lowriders.

Buick is a cool little showcar kit.

Edited by regular guy

My bad. Pontiac they stuffed the 421 into and went drag racing with was the Tempest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Tempest

Here's the part about the tranny.

Developed specifically for the Super Duty, this was essentially two Powerglide automatics in a single four-speed unit, allowing clutchless shifting in much the same manner as modern drag racing transmissions.

Anyhow. If you get the Electra and the Catalina you get the feel for that era.

Sort of a carry over from World War II. 'Can do!'

Edited by regular guy

' What the f**k is this "regular guy" talking about? Each post get weirder and more disjointed. Were is this going? '

Pontiac was heavy into high performance in the early 60's.

So the new 1962 Pontiac Catalina Polyglas Gasser I looks more worthwhile to pick up.

The '62 Buick Electra was shown on one reissue as a lowered showcar.

It can be bought too as part of GM's performance movement in the early 60's.

Buick Electra's had a really interesting 215 cubic inch all aluminum V8.

That was thinking way outside the box for that era.

That is why it is called the 'Go-Go' late 50's and early 60's.

'65 Pontiac Gran Prix kit is towards the end of that but not a bad choice.

The earlier Gran Prix's were smaller and lighter.

What are smoking "regular guy"? 1962 Buick Electra had 215 c.i.d. aluminum V-8? The small Buick Specials and Skylarks had the 215 aluminum V-8. Electras were power by a big cast iron Nailhead V-8, of 401 c.i.d. And earlier Gran "Prix's" were smaller and lighter? All Grand Prixs from 1962 through 1968 are based on the full-size Pontiac B-body. The '69 Grand Prix went to a new smaller G-body. And even then, I wouldn't call it small or light. 

Im sorry, I don't get you. You seem to bounce for one idea to another with each line you type. And you don't seem to have your facts correct at the same time. We all make mistakes. See my '26 T comment above. But, its minor mistake. Not like claiming that Mercurys were power by 430s into the mid-60's. Or '62 Electras came with the 215 aluminum V-8. Plus were is this all going? Okay, you like Round 2s upcoming releases/reissues. Good. So do I. But, it's pretty old news covered elsewhere here. And by people who know what they're talking about. 

' claiming that Mercurys were power by 430s into the mid-60's. '

Could you get your facts straight. This is what I wrote.

'' If that kit has the 3 two barrel 430 with special aircleaner THAT is a rare engine! ' See the 'if'?

My writing style is 'run and gun'.If it needs a little cleaning up. Oh well!

Could not find any info on Pontiac Polyglas Gasser on Autoworld or Round2.

So we learned something today. Hobbylinc 'No picture' and 'Pre-order' is good way to see what kits are coming out.

Lot of interesting kits from AMT lately. This last batch is a little more off the beaten track than usual.

Fireball 500 is not a bad kit. They lifted that idea from the short lived trend of 'topless' funny cars.

It made sense.'Hey! Let's just cut the roof off and down the track we go!'

See Flying Dutchman's Mopar funny cars from mid 60's.

Unfortunately people saw the safety problems of just a small loop rollbar for the driver's head.

Hence going back to full roll cage. So Fireball 500 is a cool kit if you see the racing aspect of it.

I called Tower Hobbies about something. They seem like a real good bunch there. If I was into R/C planes Tower would be a good choice.

Unless I'm missing something their prices onplastic model kits aren't very good.

My system is this.

It comes out on Hobbylinc and then it drops in price. When it drops to right point I buy.

If it goes 'bye-bye' before I can pull the trigger then it wasn't meant to be.

Like right now the Studebaker Avanti is in that category. At $12.47 they are giving that kit away.

They have a bunch of interesting kits around the $15 mark that are pretty cool. Some of them came out fairly recently.

Guess the building population has shrunk a little.

Just waiting to get my paint order together first.

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

What are smoking "regular guy"? 1962 Buick Electra had 215 c.i.d. aluminum V-8? The small Buick Specials and Skylarks had the 215 aluminum V-8. Electras were power by a big cast iron Nailhead V-8, of 401 c.i.d. And earlier Gran "Prix's" were smaller and lighter? All Grand Prixs from 1962 through 1968 are based on the full-size Pontiac B-body. The '69 Grand Prix went to a new smaller G-body. And even then, I wouldn't call it small or light. 

Im sorry, I don't get you. You seem to bounce for one idea to another with each line you type. And you don't seem to have your facts correct at the same time. We all make mistakes. See my '26 T comment above. But, its minor mistake. Not like claiming that Mercurys were power by 430s into the mid-60's. Or '62 Electras came with the 215 aluminum V-8. Plus were is this all going? Okay, you like Round 2s upcoming releases/reissues. Good. So do I. But, it's pretty old news covered elsewhere here. And by people who know what they're talking about. 

Scott, I think we're being "punked". This guy comes on her from time to time spouting similar nonsense to this. I think it's how he entertains himself

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Scott, I think we're being "punked". This guy comes on her from time to time spouting similar nonsense to this. I think it's how he entertains himself

Yea, I think you maybe right. I staying from this particular thread from this point on. There much interesting thing to read here than this BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. 

23 hours ago, regular guy said:

At $12.47 they are giving that kit away.

Is it only me who belongs to a generation that doesn't consider something costing in excess of twelve Dollars a giveaway?
When I was a kid and went to the car dealership with my parents, I often got a model car from the salesman as a gift.
That's what I consider a giveaway. Needless to say that I didn't get one in decades.
Nowadays I'm very reluctant to spend twelve Dollars one something that doesn't give me faithful service for at least twenty years.

Okay. Here's some baby boomer stuff.

About the Pontiac Polyglas Gasser kit. I think there is another Polyglas kit too.

While I do believe that Polyglas had a racing team. By the 80's in Southern California I never heard much talk about them.

The thing to have was 'raised white letter' tires.I put a set of them on a '69 Roadrunner.

They were from Pep Boys. Coronet 500's. I think you had to paint the numbers with a little wax pen.

Roadrunner had the Coyote Duster aircleaner option. Little red anodizded handle under the dash to open it up to fresh air.

Anyhow Pontiac kit is a good one. I don't know if it is worth getting if you already have 'Passionate Pancho' version.

POLYGLAS  was a Goodyear tire brand....made only in the LATE 1960's. 

They were street tires,not for racing (team or otherwise).

Funny how anxious some folks are to show just how little they know..

you might sound a little less foolish if you asked questions instead  just making  stuff up.

Edited by mike 51

Whether there were any left over Polyglas tires or that they were still available in the 80's was not on my scope.

Reproduction redlines were everywhere on the cars at get togethers.

They gave me sticker shock so I got the Pep Boys raised white letter ones instead.

Anyhow. Here's a good kit to make a 'topless' dragstrip car from.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/mpc-1967-charger-great-street-machines-plastic-model-car-kit-1:25-scale-829-12

I think there is a GTX kit that would be a little better. One of the Melrose Missiles might have been 'topless'.

One of my buddies worked at 5 Points Chrysler in LA and they battled with the Melrose Missiles with their cars.

This fits in with the Fireball 500 kit. They got the idea for it from seeing the 'topless' dragsters.

melrose_missile_101.jpg

Edited by regular guy