Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum posting difficulties

Matt MC

Hi all,

In the last day or so I have started having problems replying both to forums posts as well as PMs.

Each time I hit 'Submit' I am taken to a MCM page with a 404-type error message, stating that "we were unable to find the page you were looking for" (or words to that effect).

Is this a common thing with an easy solution?  Glitch following the update?  It's driving me crazy so if anyone has advice I'm all ears.  Thanks!

EDIT: Obviously this new post went through OK, so it just seems to be for replies..... :unsure:

Edited by Matt MC

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I just tried creating a build thread and got the 404 error message.

Replying to posts seems to work fine, but creating new ones isn't working for me right now.

:(

I messaged Dave about the 404 errors earlier today. We had hoped the update would fix the problem, bit obviously it did not. He is going to send some of the information he has gathered to the software developer to see if they can determine what is causing the problem. No idea if they will be able to find anything, but keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

It's unfortunate that the slug who writes the code for this website obviously never tests his/her work in any other internet browser besides Edge, which by the way commands a whole 8% of the market.

For the past couple weeks, in Google Chrome, in Mozilla Firefox, and in Apple Safari, which together have about 80% of the usage market, you cannot post pics using the URL embedding tool and text in the same forum post.

There's also a message to the Admin in white text on a black background across the top of the page most of time saying "Run the support tool in AdminCP to restore the default theme." But since nobody in charge gives a care, neither do i because i have better things to do than struggle with a pos website.

Edited by Model Carnage

1 hour ago, Model Carnage said:

It's unfortunate that the slug who writes the code for this website obviously never tests his/her work in any other internet browser besides Edge, which by the way commands a whole 8% of the market.

For the past couple weeks, in Google Chrome, in Mozilla Firefox, and in Apple Safari, which together have about 80% of the usage market, you cannot post pics using the URL embedding tool and text in the same forum post.

There's also a message to the Admin in white text on a black background across the top of the page most of time saying "Run the support tool in AdminCP to restore the default theme." But since nobody in charge gives a care, neither do i because i have better things to do than struggle with a pos website.

The message to the admin is only there if you're NOT logged in. Kindof a trivial glitch, dontcha think?

And I'm running Chrome and have ZERO significant issues.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The message to the admin is only there if you're NOT logged in. Kindof a trivial glitch, dontcha think?

And I'm running Chrome and have ZERO significant issues.

Competent website coders don't leave behind 'trivial glitches'.

And all the other people complaining in this thread and elsewhere are having a mass hallucination. Check

And all the other people complaining in this thread and elsewhere are having a mass hallucination. Check

1) How much are you paying for perfect functionality here?

2) There are exactly three other people complaining on this thread, and I know for a fact one no longer has a problem. It was on his end.

Pretty small "mass hallucination". ;)

Any software has bugs.  They get fixed over time in fix packs, point releases, etc.    Overall, the site works fine for me on Safari (both on iOS and MacOS).  I've had a few glitches with uploading of photos (using either the drag or choose files approach). 

On 12/16/2017 at 8:33 AM, Model Carnage said:

100% false. I have done exactly that multiple times over the past few weeks while using Google Chrome. See here:

WP_20150614_003.jpg

This has been a very difficult problem to pin down. It is intermittent, affects a small number of users, happens across all browsers and randomly fixes itself (for a little while at least). Dave is in contact with the software publisher trying to pin down the cause. We had hoped the software update would clear it up, but it did not. We are now at least on a version of the software that the publisher can help us troubleshoot.

I normally run Chrome, so I know this board works well on that browser. 

We have a a few pending problems:

• I can't update our theme. Tried that on the last maintenance window, and it failed. Once I can update the theme, the diagnostic should go away. It's strictly cosmetic, and leaving it will cause less disruption than switching to a different look and feel. 
  • We're still having the "404" problem. We had reason to believe that it would get better with the new board software revision, but it didn't. 
  • The Gallery is completely broken. We'll have to reinitialize the gallery and start from scratch, but the problems above are higher priority.

In the meantime, if you do get a 404 error. Please send me a screenshot with the URL, and the time the error occurred. We're still not sure what the source of the error is, and need all the diagnostic information we can get. 

Thanks,
Dave Ambrose