Model Cars Magazine Forum

Life with cats. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

26 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I had 7 cats, all like sons. This year I adopted a stray that found her way into my garage, and was really hungry. After getting rid of the flies, some vaccines, she joined the others. Things were just a bit complicated:

She had a surprise inside...

Yes, the furry, bit of happiness kind of surprise. 

My cats are always with me, and I don't care if there is cats hair in the paint. They are worth a lot more than models. 

We had eight, I think, at the peak. Too many, but all were loved. We are at 5 now. While I don’t like car hair in my paint, it’s a chosen nuisance!

1 hour ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I had 7 cats, all like sons. This year I adopted a stray that found her way into my garage, and was really hungry. After getting rid of the flies, some vaccines, she joined the others. Things were just a bit complicated:

She had a surprise inside...

Yes, the furry, bit of happiness kind of surprise. 

My cats are always with me, and I don't care if there is cats hair in the paint. They are worth a lot more than models. 

I couldn't agree more. I love the hobby, but all of my cats were more special to me than any model. I always let them in with me. All they really want is to be near you because they love you. How can you get mad at that??

Once someone has a feline in their life , the desire is to always have at least one companion around . For the last 32 years , we've had at least one kitty around . There was a brief time where we didn't have one -- after being subjected to the heart-wrenching pain of losing a companion to illness-then-death -- but , there were some interim strays , and kitties whom belonged to neighbours .  The two which are currently family members , are shelter rescues . Molly Anne is 15 years ; got her when she was 6 months . Oliver Sabastian is 14 years ; got him when he was 8 months .

Now for a friendly reminder to all :

if-youre-cold-theyre-cold.jpg.84ccf21f025baa533fd4952844ccf71b.jpg

43 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Once someone has a feline in their life , the desire is to always have at least one companion around . For the last 32 years , we've had at least one kitty around . There was a brief time where we didn't have one -- after being subjected to the heart-wrenching pain of losing a companion to illness-then-death -- but , there were some interim strays , and kitties whom belonged to neighbours .  The two which are currently family members , are shelter rescues . Molly Anne is 15 years ; got her when she was 6 months . Oliver Sabastian is 14 years ; got him when he was 8 months .

Now for a friendly reminder to all :

if-youre-cold-theyre-cold.jpg.84ccf21f025baa533fd4952844ccf71b.jpg

Ahhhhhh, I think that kitty might be staying outside!!!!!!! I'll put up a heat lamp later when the coast is clear!!!!!!!!

Never had a cat. But if I had a dollar for every post I've read in Model Airplane World that went "HELP! My cat ate my canopy [or some other vital, impossible to fabricate part]! Does anyone have a spare?", I could probably buy a reasonably solid, running 1:1 '69 Camaro. 

On 12/8/2017 at 7:41 AM, magicmustang said:

Dogs have masters, cats have servants.

Truer words were never spoken. We have one that REFUSES to drink from the water bowl. He MUST have the faucet on from time to time in the 1st floor bathroom. When he is thirsty, he will stand by  the door and cry something fierce till its on . Yep he might be a touch spoiled.

That said though, We have 4 cats ( and 2 dogs )  Fortunately none have ever jumped up on the bench( at least not that I know of )

ALTHOUGH,,,,,,,,,once something hits the floor ,,,all bets are off where it disappears to , how quickly and by whom.

My 2 chow mix dogs that I had would lay down in the model room on occasion. Dixie my female Black Lab/ Rottweiler mix  (all 89 lbs of her!) will generally come in tossing some toy in the air so I will stop and play with her for a minute before she kills something on the desk and then she leaves content. Once in a while she will just lay down next to me. Last night was the squeaky raccoon. She LOVES her squeaky toys ha ha.

Patches my male cat that I had would lay in the model boxes. Shelby my female cat used to like Evergreen plastic. Wouldn't mess with anything else but the evergreen. Go figure. lol

The gang:

Mitch, born in 1998 and still thinks he is a young fellow:

16601027206_0a6526b37d_c.jpgMitch. by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Lindsay, born in 2007, and huge model parts buster.

11550984326_1092e4053a_c.jpgChristmas Cats by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

6409599581_6e48fa2ef4_z.jpgLindsay, my modeling assistant by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Andrew, born in 2008. He has a picture taking radar. Can't take pictures of anything without him:

12115687903_150a05799e_c.jpgAndrew by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Aliana, born in 2008. Couldn't care less about messing with models and parts. 

15641973448_1e4aca3b94_c.jpgAliana by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Michael. Born in 2007. Also likes a eventual jump on the bench. 

15800470596_59cfdc5889_c.jpgMike by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Lenin. Born in 2012. Is always with me while I make videos for youtube. 

15800466836_592723c8dd_c.jpgLenin by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Svetlana. Born in 2016. She is in many of my youtube videos... Loves to jump on the bench, and sleeps on the corner inside a box. 

25877912193_93f725c634_c.jpgSvetlana. by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Princess Leia. She was five months old when I adopted her in June this year. My mother was visiting, and she maned her. 

36798007505_b83aab6110_c.jpgPrincess Lea. by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

On August 22th this year, this happened: 

35963252024_d7bfa13ddd_c.jpgPrincess Lea by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Princess Leia had a surprise inside. I was about to take her to get fixed when she went into labor. Only one little guy was hiding there. The vet had to perform surgery  as Leia was not able to deliver the kitten alone. The little guy was born dead, and had to be reanimated by the vet. I spent the following night trying to make him to nurse. 

Named him Kirk. yes after James Kirk, LOL!!! 

Here is Kirk a week after being born:

36836507773_a923392b76_c.jpgPricess Lea and Kirk by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Kirk with Leia on September 7th:

37247454470_04ed55ec04_c.jpgPricess Lea and Kirk by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Leia and Kirk today:

Leia Kirk 006.JPG

30 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I'm so glad Kirk made it. Beautiful cats!

Me too. His mom was too young and had no dilatation, or something of that order, and they had to take Kirk out in a hurry. He had no pulse and was all purple. The vet and his wife took turns reanimating him, and closing the incision on Leia, that was also fixed at the same time. It was touch and go for a while, but then he started breathing by himself. During the night, when I finally was able to make him to suck some milk, I knew he was going to be fine. 

19 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Me too. His mom was too young and had no dilatation, or something of that order, and they had to take Kirk out in a hurry. He had no pulse and was all purple. The vet and his wife took turns reanimating him, and closing the incision on Leia, that was also fixed at the same time. It was touch and go for a while, but then he started breathing by himself. During the night, when I finally was able to make him to suck some milk, I knew he was going to be fine. 

Thanks so much for rescuing Princess Leia and her little boy Kirk ! Leia's expression is one of adoration and reverence --- she's glad to be in a loving home .

Wonderful feline family , Tulio :wub: 

On 12/10/2017 at 6:31 PM, 1972coronet said:

Thanks so much for rescuing Princess Leia and her little boy Kirk ! Leia's expression is one of adoration and reverence --- she's glad to be in a loving home .

Wonderful feline family , Tulio :wub: 

Thanks!! In fact one never rescues a cat, he or she rescues you. 

I think Kirk must be some kind of genetic experiment. Only one fellow in the belly, something I had never seen, and he is not even four months old yet, and it's almost the size of his mom. 

At one time I had four cats, though only one ever really ventured into the area of the living room I had as a model area. One was older and was my girlfriend at time and really could care less if it didn't involve her blanket, the other three were kittens we had rescued, and the boys didn't venture around the models because they were trained not to go near my model desk with the aid of a squirt bottle filled with water and they knew model desk = a squirt. My little girl Libby was a little more hard headed though, because while she was trained the same way as the others with a little squirt of water to the head the way the others were when any of them crossed the "boundary", she liked to push her boundary a little farther. :lol: She was always back near my desk when I would be there. Libby never really laid in any model boxes, but would lay on them and my tool box too! 

HPIM2208.thumb.JPG.b6e3e766aa3c02b539424343113c0d20.JPG

HPIM1919.thumb.JPG.ff684fcc57f9802433a8e029c14ee793.JPG

HPIM2147.thumb.JPG.7338164d7c03f32e5ac2f5c961e080bf.JPG

HPIM2149.thumb.JPG.3b67a09ce2c7315a0f9dfbbd8c7dc548.JPG

This is one of my favorite pictures of Libby. My desk was just inside the front door of the little house my ex and I rented, and the floor was built up about three feet above the level of the doorway and my desk was at the edge of that. My camera was always on the desk, and coming home from shopping one night I came through the door to see this: :lol:

HPIM2157.thumb.JPG.8d33dd1657b8848547d95bc70042ad31.JPG

I very slowly grabbed the camera so she wouldn't think she was in trouble, because even though she knew she wasn't supposed to be this close to the model desk, she just looked so cute! :D

On 12/8/2017 at 9:01 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Well, let's just say that's a matter of personal preference. ;)

I love my cat, Lucy, but she lives with me at MY convenience.

I refuse to let an animal rule my life.

I had enough of that with 25 years of kids!

Steve

2v2uNN89MxwUbWP.jpg