Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Story of Susan Scanga - Removed

SfanGoch

Well dang diddly darn. I'd made a note to read it after dark, but I'm like a little kid when it snows and have been either out in it or watching it all day.

It's very quiet, all the grasping, scurrying people doing mindless and unnecessary jobs they hate are safe at home in their ticky-tacky boxes, and in this neighborhood, at least for a little while, there appears to be Peace on Earth.

It's just an illusion, but I'll take it when I can get it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

19 hours ago, 10thumbs said:

Joe, well post a story about beer,  or great sandwiches.  Maybe childhood pranks that might make us all smile.

We all like those.

Nothing serious like things are nowadays.

Yeah. We need more Charlie Manson threads to brighten our day. I did a lot of research, combing through U.S. Census records, old telephone directories, contemporary newspaper articles and the Burton B. Turkus Papers in the Lloyd Sealy Library Digital Collections of John Jay School of Criminal Justice for the facts. I was able to complete this story with the help and blessing of her sister, who is my friend's mother, her namesake niece who is a friend of my older sister, other family members and surviving old timers from the neighborhood who provided additional information to fill in blanks. I wrote this with the intention of getting  the corner of the street where she and her family lived named in her memory. Our City Council member forwarded the document to our local Community Board with a petition to get this done. Going through my files, I thought that this would have been of at least some passing interest here. That's what I get for thinking. B)  In the future, I'll limit my postings here to the history of Greek diners and bum wines.

6 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

In the future, I'll limit my postings here to the history of Greek diners and bum wines.

There ya go. Anything but model cars, or the particular model being discussed by everyone else in a given thread. 

There were around 100+ hits and no comments, good, bad or indifferent on the thread by the time I decided to remove it. It seemed like a waste of bandwidth. So, I attempted to delete the thread; but, that wasn't possible. The content was specifically removed because there wasn't any appreciable interest in it. No more, no less. I thought it was a good, fact-based historical narrative; but, that's a subjective opinion on my part. I've seen more than a few threads which  racked up views but no comments, for whatever reason, and felt it was best to 86 it.

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well dang diddly darn. I'd made a note to read it after dark

Nothing ever disappears on the internet. ;)

I've spent the better part of the last year and change laid up after breaking my left ankle and leg in two places. And, since I had annoying "404 ERROR" issues and couldn't post here, I spent the time performing historical research of events in my neighborhood over the last century. I came across an interesting and sad story about a young girl who happens to be a relative of old friends of mine. Susan Scanga's murder became a nationwide sensation, bringing attention to, and prompting civic leaders to combat and develop solutions for the increasing rise in juvenile delinquency during the immediate post-war period. While conducting my research, I realized that the world is, indeed, a small place. I didn't realize that I actually knew all of the  people involved at one time or another when I was growing up. I wrote this story and contacted the City Council member for the area so he could present this narrative and petition the community board to rename the street where Susan lived to honor her memory. I decided to research and write this as a memorial to a young girl whose life was cut short and was never able to fulfill her dreams. Her tragic story is all but forgotten by Greenpointers of today and I felt it deserved to be retold. Here's the story:

On Wednesday, November 21, 1945, residents of Greenpoint were shocked to wake up and learn of the tragic rape and murder of 16 year old Susan "Susie" Scanga by 16 year old Nicholas "Nicky" Fomkin.

Susie was born on July 13, 1929 in Vandergrift, Westmoreland, Pa., where her family lived in 136 Jackson Ave and later at 531 Maple St. In addition to her parents, Nicholas, Sr. and Nancy, Susie's family consisted of her sister Rachael and two brothers, Nicholas, Jr. and Frank. In 1939, the family moved to Greenpoint and settled into an apartment in 309 Oakland St. where they lived until moving to 178 Kent Street sometime after 1940. The Scangas were a typical working class family. Nicholas, the patriarch of the family, worked as a laborer at the American Manufacturing Company on Noble St. Mother Nancy was the homemaker, caring for Susie and her siblings. Susie worked as a salesgirl at one of the local stores to help her family and took night courses at a business school. 

128293-the-story-of-susan-scanga16114624_1584145941601371_7942643531405670395_n.jpg.f2e8a7bc328f80c814ebecb5c08a4048.jpg

Nicholas "Nicky" Fomkin was born on January 18, 1929. He and his family, father Michael, mother Helen and older sister Anna, lived in 132 N.1st St., in Williamsburg. Michael died on Dec. 24, 1938; the family seemed to move around until they settled down in 233 Huron St. in the early 1940s. Nicholas was one of the aimless youths which were prevalant in Greenpoint at the time. No parks, playgrounds or places to congregate in a safe, wholesome environment. Many kids, like Nicky, turned to hanging out in vacant lots, like the one on the corner of Huron and Provost Streets, just up the block from where he lived, drinking and frequenting the pool halls. Nicholas had a close friend, 16 year old Leonard Runkowski, of 211 Huron St., who would become entangled in the events leading to, and following, what later transpired.

On the evening of Tuesday Nov. 20, 1945, Nicky was drinking beer with Leonard and Walter Litwin, of 111 India St.. He decided to take a walk down the street to see Susie, whom he considered as "his girl". He saw Susie walking with a mutual friend, Ed Danowski, of 189 Green St. Filled with envy, he grabbed Susie by the arm and told her to walk with him. Nicky took Susie to one of his hangouts, a shack located in the lot on Huron and Provost,

16114296_1584147881601177_6757942905686889611_n.jpg.b7d1760e5a914ea1c2608a439319c150.jpg

where he shot her. Investigation determined that she was raped before being killed. Her partly dressed body was discovered by a watchman at 8 A.M., on the 21st. She had been reported missing by her family early that morning. He father provided identification. A memorial service was held at Smolenski Funeral Home on Saturday, November 24th and she was buried in Calvary Cemetery that same day.

16142446_1584146211601344_2001980491587035967_n.jpg.762521009dd963b3cac1108089e791d4.jpg

After killing Susie, Nicky and Leonard took a bus to Philadelphia and, from there, hitchhiked to Mobile, Alabama. Detectives got a break in the case. They found his name scratched into the wall of the shack, just above where Susie's lifeless body laid. Nicky had a propensity for carving his name at all his favorite hangout spots

16106063_1584147874934511_3380529293068742003_n.jpg.0eabaf22a477a5708bd1b885374531fd.jpg

and, by strange coincidence, fingered himself as the suspect. Danowski and Litwin were held as material witnesses. Out of money, with no place to go, Nicky placed a long distance call to the 94th Pct. from a phone booth in a drug store. Nicky said that he and Leonard wanted to turn themselves in. The desk lieutenant who took the call told the boys to stay where they were and contacted the Mobile police to pick them up and hold them until detectives could bring them back to New York.

16174724_1584148071601158_9059247681731272237_n.jpg.f1ae341fb63590fa3bbd4fd4c609ed3a.jpg

Upon returning to New York, Nicky confessed. "She was with Ed Danowski", he stated to police. I took her away from Ed and we walked down to the shack. I told her I didn't want her going out with other guys. I said 'you're my girl' and I drew the gun, which I got from Leonard Runkowski in a trade or a hunting knife, and put it before her face. The gun went off accidentally." Nicky told detectives that he was scared to death, broke the gun with a rock and threw the pieces into Newtown Creek.

15965286_1584148258267806_929334280124148285_n.jpg.9f537501ed5696d224d0740221ba98e2.jpg

It was soon after when he and Leonard decided to get out of town. Assistant District Attorney Burton Turkus, famous for indicting, prosecuting and sending eight members of Murder, Inc. to the electric chair, insisted that the shooting was intentional. He said the gun had no trigger and that Fomkin must have drawn back the hammer himself. The powder burns on her face indicated that the muzzle was placed directly against her head when the fatal shot was fired. A sad aside to his confession was when Nicky asked the detectives, "Can you please tell me her surname? I never knew her surname." Nicky didn't even know "his" girl's last name! He was held at the Raymond Street jail pending trial.

A grand jury was convened on Tuesday, Dec. 4th and Nicky was indicted on the charge of second degree murder and arraigned on Wedneday. His trial date was set for Friday, Dec. 7th, only three days after indictment, which was a record at the time. Nicky changed his mind about standing trial. Ater conferring with his mother, Helen Pohoriwki, and his attorney, Nathaniel H. Kramer, he asked the court to change his plea to guilty of manslaughter in the first degree. D.A. George J. Beldock and Asst. D.A. Burton Turkus reviewed the case. They felt the interests of justice would be fully served by the plea. Under questioning by Judge Goldstein, Nicky admitted he had been "in love" with Susie. The judge granted the request for the plea. 

72 years ago this week, Nicholas Fomkin was sentenced to 20 years in prison for his crime. He seemed to have disappeared after being released from prison. He died on Feruary 1, 1974, at age 45. The Scangas remained in Greenpoint after the death of Susie. Nicholas, Sr. and Nancy later retired to Florida, where Nicholas died in 1977 and Nancy in 1992. Rachael, Nick, Jr. and Frank all remained in the neighborhood into the present. Ed Danowski also remained in Greenpoint and passed away in 1989 at age 59. Walter Litwin moved back to Pennsylvania, where he was born, and died in 1976, at age 46. Leonard Runkowski, 88 years old at this time, remained in Greenpoint for many years and is presently living upstate.

Edited 30 minutes ago by SfanGoch

15 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Thanks for your comment, Frank. What part of Brooklyn were they from? 

You're welcome, Joe. I know my mom's family lived on Stanhope street for a time.  I'm not certain where my dad's family lived, although both families moved a few times over the course of years. My parents, my brother and I lived on 59th street before we moved to Pennsylvania in 1972. I was 4 years old, so things are a bit cloudy concerning that time.

Stanhope Street, that's in Bushwick. Contrary to what's heard on the "Honeymooners" about Bensonhurst, Jackie Gleason was a Bushwick native. Chauncey Street and Himrod St., where Norton usually goes to do emergency sewer repairs, are both in Bushwick. Bushwick got really rough in the '60s. A lot of blockbusting and "white flight" to the suburbs occurred; and, the looting and arson which took place during the Blackout of July 13-14, 1977 turned Bushwick into a wasteland. The area around Stanhope was predominantly Italian up to the mid-'60s. The only holdout in the neighborhood today is Circo's Pastry Shop, which has been on Knickerbocker and Hart since 1945. If your family lived on 59th between 3rd and 7th Aves, that is in Sunset Park.

23 minutes ago, Jim N said:

Very well done, Joe.  I don't make it to this part of the site very often; however, articles such as you wrote, I find very interesting.

Thanks, Jim. I enjoy doing historical research, especially about North Brooklyn, which was once known as the Eastern District. A lot of interesting people lived here and there is no shortage of historical events which took place. Writer Henry Miller spent a good portion of his childhood living on Driggs Ave., in what was formerly known as the 14th Ward. The Union ironclad, the U.S.S. Monitor, was designed and constructed by John Ericsson at the Continental Iron Works on Quay (pronounced "Key") Street in Greenpoint, down the block from one of the parks we played in as kids. 

9 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Thanks, Jim. I enjoy doing historical research, especially about North Brooklyn, which was once known as the Eastern District. A lot of interesting people lived here and there is no shortage of historical events which took place. Writer Henry Miller spent a good portion of his childhood living on Driggs Ave., in what was formerly known as the 14th Ward. The Union ironclad, the U.S.S. Monitor, was designed and constructed by John Ericsson at the Continental Iron Works on Quay (pronounced "Key") Street in Greenpoint, down the block from one of the parks we played in as kids. 

I have to agree with the others here, this seems to be a well researched and written article. I hope you are able to get the city to do something in her honor.  It is very sad what happened to this young girl, and unfortunately this same type of thing still is happening today. I truly which it all was different both then and now.  

My dad's family was on Pacific Avenue, at least into the '50's. Several family photos show the Tastee Bread bakery in the background.

6th Avenue was at the end of 59th street. I remember going to G and Son's store on the corner.

I wish I had asked more questions when more relatives were still living. Thanks for the history you have provided thus far.

Thanks, David. NYC works in strange ways. At first, the community board said that streets are only co-named after individuals who have performed notable acts or are are notable in their own right. I was told that the city doesn't do this for murder victims. I had to direct them to numerous streets which were co-named to honor victims of violent crimes. I also provided the city's own standards/requirements which include people like Susan. The people of my particular CB are pretty much clueless schmucks who spend their time looking for new and creative ways of getting their palms greased by real estate developers. I keep calling them at least once a week to check on the petition's status. I'm also working with folks in the neighborhood to get the athletic field in McCarren Park, the largest park in the area, named after Constance Darnowski-Stoll. She was the AAU champion in the 80 metre hurdles in 1952 while attending St. John's University and was a two-time Olympian (Helsinki, 1952 and Melbourne, 1956).  Pretty good for a local girl, I'd say. I was duly informed that the city doesn't consider naming anything after someone unless he/she has been dead for five years. Since Mrs. Darnowski-Stoll is alive and well, I told the tyro at the other end of the phone that I didn't believe she will be amenable to comply with that particular requirement anytime soon. I asked this snerd if this was the case, how did former mayor Ed Koch get the 59th Street Bridge renamed after him while he was still alive and kicking? The silence was deafening. :D 

1 hour ago, Dodge Driver said:

My dad's family was on Pacific Avenue, at least into the '50's. Several family photos show the Tastee Bread bakery in the background.

6th Avenue was at the end of 59th street. I remember going to G and Son's store on the corner.

I wish I had asked more questions when more relatives were still living. Thanks for the history you have provided thus far.

You mean Pacific Street. The old Ward Bakery Company building was located at 800 Pacific St. That's in the Prospect Heights section. This might be the bakery in your photos. The building was demolished and the location is now a parking lot for Barclays Center/Atlantic Yards.

12 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

There were around 100+ hits and no comments, good, bad or indifferent on the thread by the time I decided to remove it. It seemed like a waste of bandwidth. So, I attempted to delete the thread; but, that wasn't possible. The content was specifically removed because there wasn't any appreciable interest in it. No more, no less. I thought it was a good, fact-based historical narrative; but, that's a subjective opinion on my part. I've seen more than a few threads which  racked up views but no comments, for whatever reason, and felt it was best to 86 it.

I read it after Casey reposted it and that's very interesting reading. Historical stuff like that is always of interest to a lot of guys. However, you have to at least give it a fair shake for people to be able to see it.

Speaking for myself, I have a 4 month old daughter and 11 year old daughter, a full-time job (shiftworker) and a house undergoing renovations to deal with. I am lucky if I get on the forum once a day - it's usually every other day and even then it's maybe once a week that I get to actually sit down and read for more than a few minutes at a stretch.

IMO, you removing the content from the thread after only 6 or 7 hours did not give the majority of the forum members a chance to read it. I could not find on the mobile forum where it shows how many people are members but I would bet it is several thousand. The chances of all of us being on the forum in that particular stretch of time are fairly slim. You say there were 100 views before you removed the content from the thread. What percentage of the active forum members does that 100 views work out to? 2%? 3%? Less?

Give any thread a chance to be seen before you pull it next time. Try a minimum of 48 hours, preferably a week for some of us that aren't on every day. Something as well-researched and well-written as that article is, deserves its chance to be seen by the widest audience possible.

Edited by Toner283
Spelling