Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's snowing down in Dixie...

Ace-Garageguy

On 12/8/2017 at 8:06 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah. I'm a transplanted Yankee. I always get a kick out of the disaster effect a little snow has here. Up north, we'd put the winter tires on in October, and keep the chains hanging close to the front of the garage. Little towns had plows and sand trucks. Not many folks had 4WD, but somehow we all seemed to get just about everywhere we needed to go. Things would slow down a little if we got a foot or more.

The Maritimes, huh? I spent many a blissful summer in Nova Scotia. B)

Ain't that way here anymore. There was a dusting of snow here Saturday. The only accumulation was on top of parked cars because the ground was too warm. I was`surprised that there wasn't wall-to-wall coverage on TV about the Great Blizzard of 2017 or the mayor holding a presser to announce he's ordering the subways shut down and banning all auto use like he did last year when we had about five inches of the white stuff.

Edited by SfanGoch

1 hour ago, mchook said:

I'm about 2 hours & then some North of New York City & we got about 5 inches at my house. The weatherman said maybe an inch or less so I didn't put the car in the garage. OOPS! :angry: At least it's melting pretty good today.

013.JPG

Nice car Jay, of course I just love dem B-body Mopars!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, mchook said:

I'm about 2 hours & then some North of New York City & we got about 5 inches at my house. The weatherman said maybe an inch or less so I didn't put the car in the garage. OOPS! :angry: At least it's melting pretty good today.

013.JPG

Shame on you. That car should NEVER be left out in the elements for any reason. Theft alone would be enough reason to keep it inside. Very nice car by the way.

I remember when I was working with Porsche, I did some training in Birmingham. The Cayenne was being launched, and I came down to Barber Motorsports Park for a few days in January to drive it on road, off road, and on the track. I ngeneral, Alabamans (??) were losing their minds over the weather. It was zero degrees Celcius. Things were chilly and icy. A lot of the other people who were there for the training were in a panic. Saw people from Arizona, Texas, California all trying to go buy gloves, hats, scarves, they had real  trouble dealing with it. Even the lcoal news was in a panic abotu orange crops. 

I kind of chuckled a little. To put it in perspective, when I left the airport here in Edmonton, our flight was delayed for 6 hours because it was too cold to de-ice the plane. It had to warm up to -32 degrees celcius so that the de-icer wouldn't freeze.  So zero degrees was nothing to me!

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Liberty NY......back in the late '70s, my friends and I used to head up to Grossinger's during the winter. No skiing, just lots of elbow bending and picking up ski bunnies. We were more successful with the former. 

Grossinger's was a great place. Nothing left now but a falling down building & a golf course. :( I pass it every day.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Shame on you. That car should NEVER be left out in the elements for any reason. Theft alone would be enough reason to keep it inside. Very nice car by the way.

Thanks, and your right I deserve a kick in the ass for leaving it out.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:09 PM, High octane said:

Nice car Jay, of course I just love dem B-body Mopars!

Thanks, she needs a lot of work but hopefully one day...

Yeah, I remember Grossinger's.  Used to go there with my wife's parents a few times in the early 70's... Great food in its heyday.  Rented a snowmobile up there once and went off their mapped out course and rode all over the golf course...  They had to send someone out to get me to come back.

10 hours ago, mchook said:

Thanks, and your right I deserve a kick in the ass for leaving it out.

Snow is just frozen water - it won't hurt your classic car, as long as it sits in your driveway. The road-salt is the rust-monster that will eat your precious toy.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been warm and wet for days now here...just warm enough to let the mold and mildew get a head start on Spring.

Living in this part of the Southeast is like camping in a festering swamp. Rust and fungus.

And people who seem to need to live right up each other's backsides.

None of which I'll miss when I move West.

• 4 weeks later...

2 inches of dry powder last night. Dry snow doesn't stick to tree branches and take down power lines, so everyone's warm, but everything's closed, almost zero traffic out. Today's high is only forecast to be in the low 20s, so there won't be much melting, and what does melt on the roads will refreeze.

This is the first time I recall more than one snow "event" with any accumulation in any given winter since I got here in 1969.

Snowed like crazy here (Upstate SC), starting early in the A.M.  Was still snowing until about an hour ago.  Temp is supposed to drop even more tonight, so the roads are going to be very bad.  Listening to an Atlanta radio station, several 1-85 exits were blocked because of wrecks.

20 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

...Temp is supposed to drop even more tonight, so the roads are going to be very bad.  Listening to an Atlanta radio station, several 1-85 exits were blocked because of wrecks.

Yeah, it doesn't take much to have stranded or wrecked vehicles everywhere down here. It seems the DOT doesn't even bother with much road sanding any more, either. I used to get a kick out of going out and driving around...because I could...but the population density is so high now, and there are so many fools who'll go barreling down an icy road like it's a warm spring day (and get all surprised when they crash) I just park it and wait for the thaw.

We're all the way up to 17F here, sun shining. A previous "renovator" moron put a heat pump in this place, and it's useless in these temps, especially with the ancient shredded paper insulation in most of the walls. With all my space-heaters going flat out, I can only hold it at 55F, and it drops into the 40s at night.

20 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

...This was my back garden (yard) in December 2010...

That's pretty. I actually love snow.

I don't mind shoveling it, I don't mind driving in it (assuming I have chains and posi), and I don't mind being cold outside...hiking, cross-country skiing, etc. I still think it's fun.

I'm just getting a little tired of always being cold inside:D

• 4 weeks later...

WAY back in the 70's when I was an engineer for a textile machinery company, I used to travel a lot. I spent a bunch of time working on some machines we built in Aliceville, AL. We could not find a decent place close to there to stay so we stayed in Columbus, MS. No problem, only about 40 miles to the mill. One morning we got up to leave for work and found about 1 1/2 to 2" of snow on the ground. That is nothing to a New Englander. So we left for work, big deal. We probably saw 150 cars off the road on our way. We also got behind an Alabama "sand truck". It was a single axle dump truck with three laborers in the back, shoveling GRAVEL out of the bed onto the road. Not sand, gravel, probably about 1 1/2" minus stuff with stones the size of golf balls. Amazing! We got to the mill about ten minutes late due to the incredible number of accidents on the road, and the totally inept drivers, only to find they had shut down for the day due to the weather. We took our time going back to the motel, and spent the day drinking beer. Never saw anything like it.....................it was incredibly entertaining!