Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jimmie Johnson Superman SS

1320wayne

This is another recent build of Jimmie Johnson's 2016 Superman paint scheme. Again, I used a Revell snap kit with decals from Pattos Place. The same changes were done as was done on the Harvick build that I posted. Lowered the ride height, kicked out the side skirt, opened the exhaust openings, added the shark fin and a few added details done in the interior. These decals were definitely a challenge to work out. So much so that I had to purchase a second set after messing up the first ones. Once I made the first mistakes the second attempt went off with less hassles. Pattos decals are not foe everyone but do go on very nicely if you know how to work with them, especially a paint scheme like this where everything is decal. 

2017102922_02_11-vi.jpg

2017102922_01_50-vi.jpg

2017102922_01_20-vi.jpg

2017102922_00_38-vi.jpg

2017102922_00_17-vi.jpg

2017102921_59_52-vi.jpg

2017102921_59_22-vi.jpg

2017102716_39_26-vi.jpg

2017102815_11_05-vi.jpg

2017102815_10_00-vi.jpg

Great job Wayne!  Johnson is my favorite driver, and I always enjoy seeing builds of his cars. 

I have those decals in the bullpen.  I want to do Jimmie's regular 2016 scheme first, so I can get all seven of the championship cars built.

7 hours ago, Jim N said:

Great job Wayne!  Johnson is my favorite driver, and I always enjoy seeing builds of his cars. 

I have those decals in the bullpen.  I want to do Jimmie's regular 2016 scheme first, so I can get all seven of the championship cars built.

Thanks Jim. If you plan on doing this scheme sometime my word of advise would be to do what I did on the second try. Because these decals are printed in larger panels I found it easier to apply them if I broke down sections into smaller components. I did the front section in at least four sections, the rear in two, the side panels I cut the section that wraps over the window openings into at least three sections, etc. It made it much easier to get everything in place without any mistakes.

9 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Thanks Jim. If you plan on doing this scheme sometime my word of advise would be to do what I did on the second try. Because these decals are printed in larger panels I found it easier to apply them if I broke down sections into smaller components. I did the front section in at least four sections, the rear in two, the side panels I cut the section that wraps over the window openings into at least three sections, etc. It made it much easier to get everything in place without any mistakes.

That's a great tip, Wayne. I would have never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:31 PM, 1320wayne said:

Thanks for the tips Wayne.  I appreciate it.  Did you by chance paint the body?  One of the concerns I have is if there happen to be gaps where the decals are supposed to join together.  Studying your pictures, I do not see any gaps, but am curious.

37 minutes ago, Jim N said:

Thanks for the tips Wayne.  I appreciate it.  Did you by chance paint the body?  One of the concerns I have is if there happen to be gaps where the decals are supposed to join together.  Studying your pictures, I do not see any gaps, but am curious.

Yes, I painted the body blue to more closely match the primary color on the panels, in case there were any significant gaps and I could conceal them. On this particular sheet I did have to touch up a few areas due to the Pattos decals not being a good fit in certain areas. Primarily the roof decals on Pattos sheets don't even come close to fitting. On this scheme I had to add a bit of blue on the leading edge of the roof using a close to match color along with a black Sharpie to add in the missing lines. If you look closely at the pic below you will see what I am talking about.

2017102921_59_22-vi.jpg

The same was true for the rear of the roof along with the trunk decal. If you look closely at the next pic. you will see where I added some red and black areas by hand to hide the missing decal.

2017102819_39_14-vi.jpg

Once it's all done it blended in pretty good and doesn't show unless you know what to look for.

Edited by 1320wayne

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

Looks quite nice.....I've never ordered from Platto.....Alps printed? If not any idea the printer?

I'm pretty sure that they are not Alps printed decals. If I had to guess it's some kind of laser printing. If you run your fingers across the decal on an uncut sheet you can feel the relief, or texture if you will, of the printed material. They apply very well, whatever the printing technique is.