[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
Johnt671

Monograms 29 Ford P/U Rat Rod 12/29 update

I have my own opinions on rat rods, but it doesn't matter what I think about them, because it's not my project.   It's John's baby, and he's the one who has to be happy with it, so his opinion is the only one that counts here.

I don't see any problem with anything posted in this thread, and I've enjoyed the chance to see other posters opinions, and the chance to share some of my experience with others.

Thanks Jonathan. To unwarp the doors I put the the cab in hot water over a few days. This had the unexpected effect of making the the dull coat I put over the primer peel in spots making the primer look aged and faded. I may leave it like this and try to do this on the hood and bed, and leave the fenders in the newer primer because the owner has been getting a couple of cans of primer every pay day. Also a couple of shots of the roadster body, which I don;t like as much as the hard top. The door did work out well so I can stay with that version. Feedback please.

20171228_135533[1].jpg

20171228_135544[1].jpg

20171228_140048[1].jpg

20171228_140545[1].jpg

20171228_142058[1].jpg

For this build I like the hard top cab.

And the paint effect is interesting. Too bad it didn't happen to some black paint. But still it looks like thick layers of paint laid on over the years and peeling off.

I like both bodies but I think I'd go with the pickup instead of the roadster. As for the paint, I like the effect but think you should tone it down. I seems like too much decay, Maybe leave on the lower third of the body or only in one or two certain areas.

I'm not sure what way I may go with this. I'm leaning stripping the cab and redoing the primer for the semi restored future classic look. I'm going to be forced to wait because the weather is so cold I don't want to spray outside. It would be easy to make the top patchy like the cab by putting it hot hot water, and maybe lessen the blotched effect by using a little cooler water and less soaks. I think I see using this on another car, building it as a farmer field find that sat in the weather for years.