Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model a Ford power unit "Finished"

mchook

If you can get your hands on some Tyvek that ought to work well for a belt. It's as thin and easy to work with as paper but pretty much indestructible. It has a slight texture/grain to it, which just might help convey the look of leather. 

Mike 

• mchook changed the title to 1929 Model a Ford power unit "Finished"

Thanks guys!

On 1/26/2018 at 9:22 AM, misterNNL said:

For display purposes I would suggest having a display where the base for the saw is anchored somehow otherwise the belt tension would instantly pull the saw towards the power unit. Great detail and weathering work on everything. Thanks for sharing.

Tom, I had this problem & it was driving me nuts, they don't have enough weight to them to stay put with the belt on. I didn't want to anchored it to something that someone didn't want, because I'm not keeping it. "mecklm" Mike, reminded me about adding a twist to the belt. It was something I forgot about & it made it look 100% better. I made the belt longer, added the twist & used spray starch for ironing clothes to hold the shape. Now they stay apart without the belt pulling them together. I still need better pictures.

001.JPG

I did a very small diorama last year of a 1940's soap box derby car under construction. I put it up on wooden saw horses and added some tools around for extra detail,The car is in the bare wooden frame stage with no body covering so I  added some saw dust and wood chips to the display base by spreading some white glue around in spots and sanding some basswood over it.Your solution is obviously "twisted" but works well :)